Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Blue-eyed Grass: I used to pull it out!

Communities > Forums > Article: Blue-eyed Grass
bookmark
Forum: Article: Blue-eyed GrassReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 2, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6768992

After my yards were landscaped with lots of new topsoil I had blue eyed grass popping up everywhere - pretty ignorant about plants in those days- used to pull it up! Then I discovered how pretty it was so I started to leave it. Then a few years ago the nurseries started selling it! Who knew?
Now I let it stay wherever it shows up.
I could have made a lot of mony 15 years ago!
tvksi
Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6787423

Mine didn't do so well. When I first discovered them on my lake lots I was so touched by their delicate beauty, that I wouldn't mow until I knew they had gone to seed. They did well for a number of years, but we had so many droughts in our area, I think they just gave up.

I sorely miss them. Even the lovely (but somewhat oderous ) wild onion's growth gradually wained from a waving sea of white blooms above the green grass to only a few patches through the last 20 some odd years.

I so enjoyed this artical bringing back the images of my mind.
Thanks
tvksi
kathleenperez
Prospect Heights, IL

July 10, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6800742

Thanks for the article. I have it next to a pond and every year I get more. I never knew what it was but look forward to the small blue flowers every year. Now I can put a name to it.
Kathy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Blue-eyed Grass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I love these! KyWoods 5 Jul 6, 2009 12:13 PM
So that's what is in my lawn GardeningNC 0 Jul 2, 2009 2:57 PM
a delight in my rock garden gardengirl86 1 May 15, 2014 5:43 AM
Comet cured the rot cheerpeople 1 Jul 6, 2009 5:07 PM
So glad it has a name! scottsmom 0 Jul 6, 2009 5:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America