Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Blue-eyed Grass: I used to pull it out!

Communities > Forums > Article: Blue-eyed Grass
bookmark
Forum: Article: Blue-eyed GrassReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 2, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6768992

After my yards were landscaped with lots of new topsoil I had blue eyed grass popping up everywhere - pretty ignorant about plants in those days- used to pull it up! Then I discovered how pretty it was so I started to leave it. Then a few years ago the nurseries started selling it! Who knew?
Now I let it stay wherever it shows up.
I could have made a lot of mony 15 years ago!
tvksi
Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6787423

Mine didn't do so well. When I first discovered them on my lake lots I was so touched by their delicate beauty, that I wouldn't mow until I knew they had gone to seed. They did well for a number of years, but we had so many droughts in our area, I think they just gave up.

I sorely miss them. Even the lovely (but somewhat oderous ) wild onion's growth gradually wained from a waving sea of white blooms above the green grass to only a few patches through the last 20 some odd years.

I so enjoyed this artical bringing back the images of my mind.
Thanks
tvksi
kathleenperez
Prospect Heights, IL

July 10, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6800742

Thanks for the article. I have it next to a pond and every year I get more. I never knew what it was but look forward to the small blue flowers every year. Now I can put a name to it.
Kathy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Blue-eyed Grass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I love these! KyWoods 5 Jul 6, 2009 12:13 PM
So that's what is in my lawn GardeningNC 0 Jul 2, 2009 2:57 PM
a delight in my rock garden gardengirl86 1 May 15, 2014 5:43 AM
Comet cured the rot cheerpeople 1 Jul 6, 2009 5:07 PM
So glad it has a name! scottsmom 0 Jul 6, 2009 5:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America