Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Xeriscape Gardening: Drought resistance in coloured leaved cultivars

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mr_Canthus
Billingshurst
United Kingdom

July 3, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6774006

Been really hot here the last few days and I'm noticing which established perennials are wilting. Purple leaved forms of Artemisia lactiflora and Lysimachia ciliata seem particularly bad and it got me wondering as to whether unnatuaral leaf pigmentations might somehow affect drought resistance. Has anyone noticed this in any other species?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6774242

I've never read anywhere that they have worse drought tolerance so I have no idea if this is the case or not, but since dark colors absorb heat, I would think it's possible that dark foliaged plants would transpire at a higher rate on a hot day than something with lighter colored leaves, and that would make them use up water at a faster rate. Many Mediterranean plants that are very drought & heat tolerant have silvery leaves, often with fuzzy textures, both of those contribute to helping them reflect sunlight instead of absorbing it, so it would make sense that having dark colored leaves could have an opposite effect.
Mr_Canthus
Billingshurst
United Kingdom

July 5, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6781101

Thanks for that, its a good point. I also wasn't sure whether having more purple pigment, might mean less chlorophyll and less efficient photosynthesis and less chance of closing stomata when under stress but its all a bit complicated. Your idea is more plausible. Its interesting to know if anyone else has noticed this, if indeed it really does make a difference. A guess a good way to test it is with purple leaved forms of waterlicsious things like lettuce.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America