Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Wildlife Gardening: how can i keep the crows out of my fountain?

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
we3greenes
Bristol, TN

July 4, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6775160

does anyone out there know how to stop or deter crows from our fountain? we have a bird bath, they hardly pay any attention to it. they love to dip their "findings" in our fountain. they bring in everything from bread to baby bird carcases, which i would rather not have to explain to my three year old daughter yet. we live in the city, so we can't shoot them- lol. please help!

This message was edited Jul 5, 2009 9:01 PM
iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 7, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6786509

you could get a larger bird bath

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6789624

Maybe put an alligator in your fountain? OK, maybe a fake alligator!
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6789821

I'm not sure there's a sure fire answer, but some thoughts:
- Do you only need to keep the crows away from the pond, or all birds? There is that bird netting that people use over fruit trees. You have to be a little thoughtful how you use it near water, because animals (not just birds) will get caught in it.

- I've got just a small container pond, and am using large wire mesh over it. (Lerge mesh, not large wire). The little birds and other smaller animals get through just fine, the larger birds (pigeons and jays, in my case) can't. It's not totally unattractive, because there's enough vegetation that the mesh isn't imediately obvious.

- I think all the ideas above have some potential. You can't shoot them with bullets, but water about water? Those little hose thingies that go off and spray water, intended to teach cats to stay away? A scarecrow (or fake snake or owl)? And right, there's some reason why the fountain is more appealing than the bird bath - is it bigger, so a better size for the crows? Fresher water? Moving water? More appealing location because of shade or cover? Easier to perch and reach the water with their goodie?

Hope any of that helps! Let us know...
iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 7, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6790508

Alligators? snakes? crocks? I think the crows like the pond because it's bigger than the bird bath. Maby one of those motion sensored statues will freak them out.
we3greenes
Bristol, TN

July 16, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6824993

actually, the birdbath is alot bigger than the fountain! and we change the water in the birdbath everyday. we also add a little bleach to the water in the fountain to keep the algea and mosquitos at bay.oh, and we alreday have a fake owl that we move about twice a day. the netting wouldn't work because of the way the fountain is designed which the design should also make it harder from them to actually get to the water. we are convinced they like the challenge. i like the alligator idea, know where i can get one in tennessee? lol. i think i will look into the water "squirter" thing. i think they like the fountain because it isn't so exposed. we are going to move the birdbath this weekend to a more protected area in between some bushes.

thanks for all the suggestions.
i will keep ya posted!
iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 16, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6825845

try one of those talking bass. I forgot the name of them. I know that they make me jump when I walk by them. Maby even a large suan or duck statue, the crows will probally figure out there fake sooner or later
iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 16, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6825848

I do rember reading a cat invasion thread. Maby you could help her out and take afew

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America