Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Giant cosmo trees have us perplexed!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6775278

I planted many flowers from seed this spring and I must admit it got out of hand and I lost track of what was where. I assumed these plants were cosmos from the beginning as the foliage resembled them. They are enormous, however; between two and three feet tall. They haven't bloomed yet and they don't appear to be in a hurry to do so. Are these indeed some type of cosmo or something completely different? Thanks!!

Thumbnail by MTnic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6775290

The leaves look like cosmos and they can get that tall, so I suspect that's what they are. Since you're in a colder zone they probably take a bit longer to get around to blooming than they would in some other areas.
lehua_mc
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6775292

My seashell cosmos are getting to be 3 and 4 feet tall, as advertised, with healthy stalks, and no sign of buds yet.
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #6775346

I did plant a couple kinds of cosmos but they've all been blooming since May. There are buds on these, so I suppose we'll see eventually. I have one of these that ended up in a hanging basket because it wanted to trail. It is almost like a vine- the stem makes almost a 90 degree angle- it is so odd. I guess I've never seen cosmos so huge, none of the others I planted look anything like these beasts.
cmsjjdr
Panama City, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #6775477

A few years ago my sister gave me seeds for a yellow cosmos she had at her house. I would like to know the name as well. It starts blooming a lot later than the other types of cosmos and "tree" is a fitting description. The ones that have self seed and each year the plants get larger.This years crop are already over 6 feet tall and the "trunk" of one of the plants is about 2-3 inches in diameter. The flowers are extra large as well. If you have the same thing, be patient and they will reward you with some awesome flowers. Now if someone could just tell us what we have. I am including a picture of one of last year's bloom and yes it is as big as it appears to be.

Thumbnail by cmsjjdr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6777477

I looked through my seed packets and I planted 3 different cosmos- cosmic orange (they are tiny), gazebo mix and seashells mix. The gazebo mix is considered early blooming according to the packet, so I don't think this is them. Hopefully they are seashells but they will look really crazy coming out of the containers they are in- they do already in fact. I guess we'll see when they bloom!
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6777938

I had a mutant cosmos last year, wish I had a picture, it was on my old cell phone. The thing ended up being over 6 feet tall, and was as big around as my lilac bush. I hadn't planted any - it must have overwintered from the year before. Anyways, it didn't bloom until very late, I'm thinking September. It was huge!
cmsjjdr
Panama City, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6778705

That is how mine are. They take forever to bloom but once they do they are covered with blooms that are huge. I will try to get a picture of the ones I have this year and post it.
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6778753

Hmm, does anyone know if they are difficult to transplant? They look ridiculous in the containers they are in. One of them is actually in a 2 tiered hanging basket- on the bottom. It grew at a 90 degree angle at one point to access the sun that the top tier was blocking. I can't imagine how it got in the basket, must have been a random seed in the mix with my seedlings. It is pretty funny looking.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6778791

like smileymom... I too had "Mutant" cosmos. Mine are Cosmic Orange, and they get HUGE. at least 6' tall.

Huge "trunk", very fuzzy - on the stems and late bloomers. At first i thought it was a weed, so i pulled a few... but left one and saw what it really was. from the same batch of seeds, i had "normal" ones.
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6778846

The cosmic orange ones I planted have been blooming for weeks and they are tiny- the plant itself is short and skinny and the bloom is not much larger than a quarter. Although pretty, I wasn't too impressed with the size, but I guess these huge ones would make up for the others. On the back of the seed packet for cosmic orange cosmos, it lists them at only 12 inches, so although not impressed, I also wasn't disappointed either. It is all a learning experience, right?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6778854

I think most of my cosmic orange are 18+ inches tall, aside from the mutant.

have you tried the Sensation mix? gorgeous mixes of pinks. I have white too. one is smaller, and one is pretty 'bushy' -- more like the mutant orange, but not as tall.
MTnic
Plentywood, MT
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6778953

I don't think I have tried the sunsations mix- just the cosmic orange, gazebo mix and seashells. I only started gardening late last summer, so everything is an experiment to me yet! If I'd have had any idea these would be so large, I would have planted them in the ground- they look like massive carrots exploding out of the pots they are growing in. I assume the ones that are currently blooming (other than the cosmic oranges) are the gazebo mix as they don't look like seashells. They are only about a foot tall too- and normal looking. The cosmo "trees" are nearly as wide as they are tall.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America