Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Mint - with and without

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 22, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 4, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6777198

I am playing around with the following and have come up with a couple of uses... Can you find any more?

MINT:

a BIG bunch of Spearmint (or peppermint)...cut the woody stems and throw the rest in a blender with about 2C of water. Blend the dickens out of it. Let it sit for a while and then strain the pulp out. Take the pulp and blend it up again with a bit more water. Let it sit for a while (the flavors release). Strain into the other liquid and make ice cubes. When the cubes are made, save in a ziplock in the freezer. Sometimes I add some mint jelly (left overs for sweetener), some honey or some mint liquer (sp????).

I add a cube to a glass of icewater.
I melt a couple of cubes and add to lemonade (fabulous)
WITH - 2 cubes, soft if I can wait, regular ice, rum, tonic water or Sierra Mist or...

I also do kinda the same thing with Ginger root by simmering it for a long time and then making ice cubes. Makes a great addition to plain water and incredible Gin and Tonics!!!

Anyone else have anything like this they do?

Carol

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Click the image for an enlarged view.

planolinda
Plano, TX

July 4, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6777218

carol--good idea for the mint
are you only asking about mint?
last year i took rosemary from my herb garden and simmered it for a while and then let it cool--i bottled it and use it for a hair rinse--i like the clean smell and i like how it removes the buildup of shampoo or conditioner--it is refreshing and cool feeling on your scalp--i bet you can do the same with mint
i also made tea from basil i think --same way as the rosemary-simmer and cool

what is the plant in your picture?
linda
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 4, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6778302

PL...thanks for that about Rosemary...I must try it!!! I think all ideas to use stuff readily available is FUN!!!

Another thing I do in the G&T is I put fresh lemon juice, sweeten it with ginger jam and use the ginger ice. Guess it isn't a G&T anymore. Would be super without the Gin!!!

OH, the flowers are daylillies...I love them!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6779127

i just started planting day lillies so haven't had blooms yet but look forward to such pretty blooms---
ginger jam sounds good--haven't seen it -will look in our store
by the way-i posted that i read that jelly or jam can be used to sweeten and flavor tea--someone posted back that she remembers during the war and sugar being rationed their mother sweetened their tea with jam--and she didn't like it at all!! here i thought it would be wonderful--sweet and fruity! i still think i will give it a try some time--
are they doing fireworks in keaau tonight?
happy 4th--what little is left of it!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2009
6:21 AM

Post #6779367

This year very few fireworks...must be a $$$$ thing 'cause the weather is gorgeous. Thelma (our dog) is delighted!!!

Will look for a recipe for ginger jam...never occurred to me that I can MAKE it!!! HAHAHA...going to go dig up that ginger!!!

Carol
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6780068

carol i am growing ginger--a kind dave's gardener gave me a plant when i first started my garden and now i have 4 but they have not bloomed---when you said you are going to dig up the ginger you would have to dig up the plant correct? do you know if it takes several years for ginger to bloom or is it because it is mostly in the shade?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6780523

It is only one form of ginger that is edible...not the common stuff we grow for foliage and flowers. The edible kind doesn't grow very tall and as small green flowers that come out of the ground. Takes a year to harvest. You probably have the ornamental kind? The ornamental kind is generally an understory plant...but not deep shade...sun part of the day for most of it.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6780587

thanks for the info--yes i think mine must be the ornamental type then-
i do have it as an understory plant and only gets filtered light but our summers can be brutal and dry so i think it is happy (i know--i tend to think of my plants as having people feelings) where it is---even if it doesn't flower---and who knows -one year it just might!
i love the thin slices of ginger that come with sushi----are they dyed? some are so peachy colored and then some so pale--
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 5, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6781075

Not sure why they are pink...will have to ask around. I have also seen them white.

Candied ginger is wonderful to make ginger tea with (The BEST for a cold..helps with balance and sleep and nausea)..put a piece or two in a cup and pour on boiling water!

Yum.

Carol
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 5, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6781228

i used my rosemary hair rinse today and was thinking that maybe ginger could be used with the rosemary--rosemary ginger hair rinse--i think of ginger being warm and rosemary being cool so maybe not a good combo
you mentioned ginger for sleep -i bought some aroma therapy essential oils-
let me see-grapefruit/sweet fennel--curb cravings for sweets and stave off hunger (wonder if it makes you hungry for grapefruit : )

lavender/chamomile--soothes and clams for better sleep

vanilla and camomile for feelings of comfort

i remember drinking ginger ale when i felt sick to my stomach as a child
and i have had candied ginger and i bet that would be nice in tea--good idea
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 6, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6782302

The tea is great and if I feel I am getting a cold or the flu, at first signs I drink tons of it and it never materializes. Ginger is also used for seasickness, nausea...balance is the big thing for me since my back surgery.

Will try the Rosemary tomorrow...bet it feels good all over the body!!!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 6, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6785021

carol-got my candied (they called it crystalized) ginger today along with a peice of fresh-see what you started! and since you started this thread with mint--i also saw mint water--lemon mint and i don't know what other flavors--
so i already have my ice tea which started out with boiling water poured over a candied ginger and honey and green tea--very nice!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 6, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6785109

It is ALL so good!!!!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 6, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6785213

oh yeah!! for got to mention my lemon slice in the mix!
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7342606

Aloha Carol
Catching up on the old cooking questions here at Dave's...
I like to make mint tea and also ginger tea - great for almost anything that ails you...If your'e still feeling lousy after your trip home from NZ, try ginger tea!

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 9, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7350097

Swilling the stuff down as fast as I can!!!!
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 9, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7353407

Hope you're feeling better...are you back home yet?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #7357966

yUP...AM HOME with a dead computer, a new one that doesn't want to work and a $$$$load of work in greenhouse and the gardens...with all the rains the weeds have taken oveer!!!!

Call me...
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7372482

Seems I had some of the same problems...have a ton of photos to work on for an article about the new farmers market at Hilo Coffee Mill and the computer is not letting me do a thing with them...arrrrgggggghhhhh!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7372748

It is a total conspiracy!!!!

When does the market start?

Carol

Don't forget your banana tree!!!! It will soon be too big!
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7378843

This is off topic, but your beautiful daylily caught my attention. Then I noticed two of you are from Hawaii and I was wondering if you could tell me what the trick is to making a delicious potato salad I had in Kona? It was a mix of elbow macaroni and potatoes, it had shredded carrots. It had the most wonderful sweet flavor to it. I just can't figure out what it was. I have tried duplicating it at home and just can't get it right. I was told it was a very common food there, so I thought you might know. Thank you Meredith : )
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 18, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7378957

Meredith...where did you have it? The best mac/potato salad I have ever had was at the Hotel Manono (Monono?) and their secret was a can of tunafish...and I have no idea of the proportions. Maybe Sonia will pipe up...

?
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #7379429

I can't remember the name of the place but it was a Diner -somewhat close to the beach. I know it was very close to the place we had to get our marriage license... we got married there. : ) All the food in Hawaii was so delicious!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America