-
AuthorContent
Golden_Eagle
Wauseon, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6777267

I would like to know if anyone grows Laurel (Bay Leaf Tree) I have one and I got side shots coming up should you cut them off leave them grow or what?

Can you take the side shots and start new plants from them?

If you can gave me information on how to grow the Laurel it would be very helpful.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6777657

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2468/

If you click the link for the AHA (is that right) pamphlet, it gives a lot of cultivation information. How tall is yours? I think you CAN start new plants from the side shoots.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6777729

I grow a bay tree in a large pot. I have never tried to root cuttings but think you could do so. I have trimmed the lower side growth and used the leaves for cooking. I wanted mine to be more of a standard. I then underplanted it with a fernleaf verbena. I am thinking I will remove the verbena and plant a trailing herb instead, maybe pennyroyal or a thyme. Off to check out Ms Carries' link... pod

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6778377

LOL. Hiya, pod.

http://www.herbsociety.org/bay/BayGuideFINAL-Secured.pdf

try that - it's where it says Arthur Tucker!

This message was edited Jul 4, 2009 8:00 PM
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6778638

I have had my plant for years.I keep it in a pot.In the summer,I plant the pot (bury it) in the ground.In the fall,I lift it and store it on my sun porch.The sun porch is not heated,but insulated.I never let the temperature drop below 40 degrees.In the spring it starts to put out rapid new growth.The new growth is what I have had the most success with cuttings.I have kept a couple but mostly give them away as gifts.It takes awhile to get them to root.Enjoy your bay its a fun plant to have and grow.Edge
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

July 5, 2009
10:39 AM

Post #6779519

The Romans brought Bay Trees into England in the first Century A.D., where they flourish!
You can take cuttings off them quite easily, if put in a loam based compost; put them in a small pot and cover the pot with a clear plastic bag, sealed around the pot with a rubber band or a bit of string!
However if you know anyone who has a real one (like I do), they send suckers up, and yes they do seed themselves.
Simply dig a sucker up with its roots and you will get a perfect Bay!
Please do not buy Topiary or Cultivars of them, as the taste, if there is any, is nothing like a proper one.
My friends one is over 60 feet tall, which is what they should be!
My one I grew from one of his suckers, and it has grown very well, I just take the top leaves out for cooking and leave it alone, so it has gone to a pyramid shape.
You cannot cook; stews, casseroles, Italian or Indian food without them, a total must have for anyone who loves herbs!
As a matter of interest, it was minus 12.6F here in February, with loads of snow, that does not worry Bay's at all!
Kind Regards.
From a Very Hot England.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6780522

Thanks for your input, Neil. As I live in the frozen North, I buy my bay leaves old and dry from the grocery store. Sorry I don't have more first-hand experience with them - they sound like a fun plant to grow!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America