Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Hortiscopes & History: Jefferson/Monticello info on today's history tidbits

Communities > Forums > Garden Hortiscopes & History
bookmark
Forum: Garden Hortiscopes & HistoryReplies: 3, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

July 5, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6778526

I think what is written there, that Jefferson willed Monticello to the United States to be used for education, is wrong. I know he died in pretty bad financial straits and the house certainly isn't owned by the US government. Jefferson may have willed something to be used as a school - he founded and designed UVA and was its first rector there, but it isn't Monticello. His personal library was sold, not willed, to the US and was the start of the Library of Congress. This is from wikipedia:

Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, and Monticello was inherited by his eldest daughter Martha Jefferson Randolph. Financial difficulties led to Martha selling Monticello to James T. Barclay, a local apothecary, in 1831. Barclay sold it in 1834 to Uriah P. Levy, the first Jewish American to serve an entire career as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy. Levy greatly admired Jefferson. During the American Civil War, the house was seized by the Confederate government and sold, though Uriah Levy's estate recovered it after the war.

Lawsuits filed by Levy's heirs were settled in 1879, when Uriah Levy's nephew, Jefferson Monroe Levy, a prominent New York lawyer, real estate and stock speculator and member of Congress, bought out the other heirs and took control of the property. Jefferson Levy, like his uncle, repaired, restored and preserved Monticello, which was deteriorating seriously while the lawsuits wended their way through the courts in New York and Virginia.

Monticello and its reflectionA private non-profit organization, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, purchased the house from Jefferson Levy in 1923 and it was restored by architects including Fiske Kimball and Milton L. Grigg. Monticello is now operated as a museum and educational institution. Visitors can view rooms in the cellar, ground floor, and third floor, but the second floor is not open to the general public due to fire code restrictions.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6788302

You are correct--I'm not sure where our information came from (Melody and I both worked on these, and it could have been either of us who researched it), but I noticed Wikipedia has a similar "abridged" (and erroneous) version of how the estate was handled after his death. That could have been the source, or it have been gleaned from somewhere else.

At any rate, I've updated our entry to be a more accurate summary of the information on the Monticello foundation website. Thanks!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

July 10, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6799942

You're welcome. I hope you have a chance to see the gardens at Monticello some day. They're wonderful. The house is no slouch either. :>)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6847463

Thanks hart for the correct summary information of Monticello's history. I didn't know any of it, but have visited a couple of times. It is a beautiful home and gardens. I'd love to go back since I understand a lot of the kitchen gardens have been restored. I think they were actually excavating and re-working it during one of my visits there. That was probably 12-15 years ago. My memory isn't perfect on that detail. As an engineer, I enjoyed seeing what Jefferson accomplished in his time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Hortiscopes & History Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 21 Feb 6, 2009 4:39 AM
Wake Island OutsidePlaying 25 Jan 23, 2009 12:39 PM
Fanny Farmer!! threegardeners 31 Jul 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Tell us how we're doing, please! Terry 91 Aug 6, 2009 12:12 AM
Giant Snowflake. Did You Know? dahlianut 14 Dec 12, 2009 5:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America