My horse shoe sunflower!

Anderson, TX(Zone 8a)

Look what my honey made for me.

We were in Montana recently & his aunt had one in her garden that I fell in love with. Now I have one, too, made with love!

Thumbnail by jessaree
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Such a cool looking sunflower!! I love it. That would have been a great hit here in TX if I was still in the craft malls. Nice job, your honey deserves a steak on the grill for that!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

That is too cute! I love it!

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Cutest sunflower I've ever seen. Thanks for posting it.

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

I love it~

Sue

Plano, TX

i agree with sheila--that would sell big time in texas
did you do the paint?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

DH is wanting to take up welding later.....hmmmm I think I just found his first project!! I did show it to him and he said save that idea!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Your new sunflower looks great. I see that your squirrel feeder has been disabled, they will certainly seek revenge! I have one like that and hail broke the glass jar. I am now using a plastic sun tea jar.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This is so cute and I have never seen anything like it. I showed it to DH and he has already returned from his friends house who shoes horses and is busily making some for me!! Thanks for posting!

Dellrose, you are going to be the first one to have horseshoe sunflowers. I have no idea where I am going to find any. Boo Hoo Be sure you post pictures for us. I really do need some flowers like this.

Anderson, TX(Zone 8a)

Let's see if I can answer all of these in one...

I'll leave the steak grilling to him...he is THE expert griller in our family.

I've already thought of the craft idea, trying to figure the cost is another...any ideas anyone?

He even painted it for me! Now that's he's done one, he's already thinking on making more & other types of things, cactus is his next project. He thinks the sunflower would look better if he heated the "leaves" & bent the stem downward a bit, to more resemble a sunflower. (I think it looks great the way it is!)

As for the squirrel feeder, I had 2 of these up, plus a couple of the ones with the corn cob on a nail & squirrels wouldn't come near any of them. (I know we have some, I've seen 'em.)

dellrose - please post a picture when he get's through with yours!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Jessaree...if you were buying the horseshoes new in our area they would be about $1.40 each so that would be $16.80 plus the pipe and paint... the cost would be around $20. To that cost you want to add what you need to make a decent profit for the time and skill involved. It is so different I'm sure they would be a big hit! I love the idea of the cactus...really cool for your area.

DH is working with used horseshoes which were free but he is having to use a side grinder to remove the nails that are rusted solid to the shoes. He is going to make some extra ones for some of our neighbors and friends. I am so pleased to find some fun projects for him to do
since he enjoys welding. I will post some pics when he gets them done.

Samigal...DH used to live in Norwalk and I am originally from Calif...still get homesick sometimes!

Not too often I meet anyone who was born here, a melting pot of all states & other countries.

Now I just can't wait until I see a cactus made with horseshoes. I'll have to ask friends to keep their eyes open for them. Next time DH comes around the computer, which isn't often, I'm going to have to bring up sunflower picture for him to see.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Take a look at this man's horseshoe art!!

http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=10012

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 10:00 PM

Plano, TX

wasn't that something! that would keep all you welders busy!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That is a cool link Sheila and the best part is this guy lives in the next town from us. The next time we head in that direction we will look him up...his work is just awesome!! Thanks for the link!

DH just finished the flower part and is heading to town to pick up some pipe and spray paint...so far so good! I want one in purple and will pretend it is a purple coneflower!!

Samigal...I would like to see a cactus too!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You could turn outside horseshoes backwards on one and make it a blanket flower.

Plano, TX

was watching something on tv-can't remember what --and they had that horse shoe flower-no stem or leaves--hanging on the front door--painted yellow like yours

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Seeing your pretty flower reminded me of this neat horseshoe swing I saw at a trade show few years back.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy I bet that swing would be heavy to install.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I bet it would!

It was actually very comfortable to sit on. We were able to try it out.

You wouldn't have horsehoe prints on your back side? LOL ^_^

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Cool looking swing...I would be afraid it would break if I sat on it! LOL!

Here is my purple flower...DH has to put on another coat of paint but I just love it. This is not where it will finally go so don't look at the background which is my husbands shop. He is 76 years young and I think he did a great job...I'm so proud of him!!

See what you started jessaree!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Plano, TX

i just love those flowers!! so cool!
can't wait to see the cactus
as for the swing--my first thought was how i'd end up branded with those horse shoes in this texas heat!

Anderson, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, you're looks great dellrose!

I agree with the Texas heat & the branding, think I'd have to put cushions on mine!

I'm attaching a picture of the "original" sunflower in Montana. My hubby's uncle is 80 & made this for his wife.

Thumbnail by jessaree
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They all look great. Hope I can get some horseshoes and DH will weld me one. I have several sunflower yard art items but not one that big!

I have to have some of those flowers too, I just love them. Now, I have a 75 year old DH so I don't want to hear about any excuses. I'm sure he has a welder somewhere in that junky garage. Just have to figure out where to get the shoes. I have a friend who lives way out where there are horses so guess I better have her looking for some for me. She is on vacation in their 5th wheel and I already put in my order for rocks and driftwood. ^_^

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I like the leaves on the original one too...I'll have to show it to DH! He is painting his 3rd one as I type. The second one is orange and the one he is painting now is yellow. Tomorrow we are going to sneak to a friends house and put it in front of her horse barn...that will be fun!

Samigal...DH got his shoes from a farrier...and he got lots of them!! I hope you can find some...I really like them.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

I love all the sunflowers too!!!!!!!!! It has got my mind a whirling with ideas and projects for the hubs and I to try. Thanks Jessaree. I think a buttercup would be cute too. Maybe if you layed a ring of the petals flat and stood up a few in the center it would make a buttercup. Wish I had some horse shoes now to try will have to go searching at nearby horsefarm and see if I can find me a cowboy willing to give some away in exchange for a finished project. Maybe??? A tulip too. Oh my at the ideas a fluttering in my head.
scraps

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm so jealous. My hubby does welding and blacksmithing, but no way would he ever agree to make me some "cutesy crap" like that. *sigh* He just doesn't get the whole garden art thing. :(

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Maybe if you mentioned how ladies love a big ole" strong man that can make such cute things with a welder that all the ladies on DG would love to have a man who can weld and make them stuff. And money usually makes them take notice so tell him how many women would pay for his services as a welder of fine flowers and cacti. Or any other cool art that he can make with horses. I remember seeing a wine bottle holder made out of horseshoes on Rods.com. They have cool stuff for horse lovers and cowboys. They have other cute stuff made out of horseshoes too. but none as cute as the flower. I have not been on there lately though. scraps

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I want DH to weld me a bottle tree. I like my real limbs tree, but it won't last forever.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Sheila, I would think you could figure out a way to do that with horseshoes also. If the shoes were turned up just right you could stick a bottle on it and that would just be too cute for a texas yard. I grew up as a cowgirl but I had a brother get killed driving an 18 wheeler when he was 21 and he was a cowboy and I just never wanted to be around it all anymore. Every black cowboy hat made me cry. Then I got married and he does not like horses much so we have more stuff with deerhunting or fishing type stuff around here now. But I have a younger brother whom I buy cowboy stuff for Christmas every year. That is how I found Rods.com while searching the net for a good gift for him one year. I love all their stuff. If you like cowboy stuff you will love them. I love to look at their stuff for ideas too. Scraps

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry for the loss of your brother Scraps. Memories are tricky, never know when something will bring back thoughts we were moving away from back to the forefront again.
I don't have much TX cowboy type stuff, but also don't have horseshoes. Will probabaly just go for the rebar natural looking tree.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That is sad about your brother scraps...losing a sibling is sure tough.

Evidently DH thinks that the one with the most horseshoe flowers wins!!

Thumbnail by dellrose

You have a whole list of friends on DG that could use any left over flowers. LOL
I can't decide which one I like best (color) so decided I love them all. They would add a whole new flower bed to my brick fence. When I showed picture to DH I didn't get much of a response out of him, but he can't agree with me on first look. Are they arc welded, question from DH? Maybe I may have to take up the trade in order to get flowers.

Plano, TX

they would be a little hard to pack and send tho--heavy too

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Samigal...yes, they are arc welded. DH just used 6 petals on the last 3 but I think I like the 7 petals better (but I ain't gonna tell him that)! LOL!

planolinda...you are right about them being heavy and much too big to ship.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes the seven petal, but don't tell. An odd number always looks best.

Unless I find a friend who arc welds I may be out of luck, but I'm not giving up. The flowers are about the cutest pieces of art I've seen in a long time. Everyone's art is wonderful, but these flowers have really made a statment to me. I've never been to Mo. so maybe I should make a trip there. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images