Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: Who is your best assistant in your garden?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 137, Views: 1,575
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

July 6, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6783499

There are a total of 477 votes:

My spouse or significant other is my best helper.
(147 votes, 30%)
Red dot

My children love to help me. (what do they like to do?)
(12 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My grandchildren are great assistants! (why?)
(11 votes, 2%)
Red dot

The landscape company is my best helper.
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

My best assistants are me, myself and I.
(301 votes, 63%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #6783516

Goodness - first vote is mine!

My DH is a very willing helper, I am happy to say. I can even drag him away from the TV to dig a hole if need be... ^_^
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2009
11:16 AM

Post #6783626

DW, not only my assistant but she holds 50% of the votes on the planning commission! ☺
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6783970

Our 2 sons are my biggest helpers. They will do anything! Of course they are 40-something and 50-something. My poor husband doesn't like to get dirty! If it wasn't for Mike and John this place would look like ----- I don't think Dave would allow what I really want to say...

Ann
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6784030

It's just me. My DH will help dig out a new garden but after that it's just me doing the planning, planting, watering, weeding and such. He does let me know when he really likes a plant... "plant more of those flowers on a stick" other wise known as Delphiniums.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 6, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6784116

Staceysmom , we must have married brothers . digger

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6784211

they must have been triplets then...:) My best assistant is my 3 yo granddaughter. She loves helping Nana water...pic is with her very own plant that she planted the seeds and watered and took care of herself.

Thumbnail by cececoogan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6784260

No, no, there were four of them! DH will sometimes help water the pots out front and has helped to set up my garden area, but beyond that, I'm on my own! Can barely get him out to look at the flowers, although he does like flowers. Bless his heart, though, he was the one who insisted on getting me a greenhouse, so I think I'll keep him. :-)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6784311

I didn't see an option for furry helpers...but my dog is my biggest assistant! His favorite thing is to lay down in the garden and roll over for a tummy rub...right on top of my favorite plant!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 6, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6784498

Sometimes I can "suggest" some work to my DH, but I'm definitely the Boss on this yard site.
If I REALLY can't do something major or heavy, I call on him to do it, but there's little I can't do - planting, watering, weeding, building structures, pruning trees, etc.
I've even been on our roof (flat) to get tree branches off it LOL
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6784562

My DH loves to be outside in the yard. Usually he does his own thing (mowing, pruning, chipping) but anything I ask him to do, he's on it. He spent all this weekend fixing a broken pipe in the front potager so we can install drip irrigation. We may actually pay someone to come in and do the irrigation, but if not, he'll be right out there doing it all.

He also has more of a green thumb than I do. If I really like a plant and want it to live, I have him plant it. I've decided there's something about my skin chemistry that kills a plant as I plant it. :)
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6784684

I say my son is my best helper, tongue in cheek. Outside of me, he is the only helper and is not self-motivated to the task.
Planter56
Buffalo, NY

July 6, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6784704

I only have me, so it's all up to me :)
bub049
Minneapolis, MN

July 6, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6784780

My grand daughter Emily (9) is my right hand. She loves to garden and has her own (at my place) with peonies, sedum, Russian sage, Zinnias, and 3 hosta varieties plus a 10' by 16' everbearing strawbery garden. She now has "drafted" me to help her landscape and place gardens at her folks new house.

My wife doesn't have the gardening "bug" but helps me by giving color suggestions and by reviewing what I have done. She also supplies the much appreciated "praise" when I have completed a project.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6784847

Just me, myself and I, but could use some help! The cats look on at the activity as though they're interested - maybe they think they're supervising.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 11:26 AM
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6784914

DH is the chief hole digger, rock carrier, and lawn mower. He assists with major irrigation projects and loves to tinker with the irrigation controller, which I find rather tedious. I'm in charge of flowers, veggies, and trees. DH's been on crutches all spring so there hasn't been much hole digging or rock moving lately, though we did bring home some very nice volcanic rock from our camping trip this weekend. I almost have enough for that new patio now ;)
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6784932

Well, besides me myself and I (and I'm surprised this wasn't one of the choices) my dogs are my best helpers. :-)
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6784947

My cats watch me too Yuska. I assumed it was because I was messing with their sand box!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6785090

I don't know if I'm my best assistant, but I'm the only one!! (Well, other than the dogs, who will occasionally dig a hole, though never where I want).
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 6, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6785196

It's just me. I have no one else to blame for all the weeds. Darn it! You guys have all these built-in excuses for the goof ups.
skiekitty
Parker, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6785262

My dogs help dig the holes (usually in places I don't want) and my Wolfgang has transplanted some small pine saplings for me (without asking.. he just dug 'em up and drug 'em over to me as he'd seen me plant them about 2 hours earlier.. I guess he thought that people bury trees like dogs bury bones?). He's also great at picking out the best smelling flowers at the nurseries and is more than willing to go with me to any nursery that I want! Which is more than I can say for my DH!! (Wolfgang is the golden on the right.. on the left is Sebastian.)

Thumbnail by skiekitty

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6785557

Well I voted 'me, myself and I'
But I do have a couple of kids ( I call them my Time Share Kids ) that come over. Mostly they like to 'PICK" , but that's OK and one will even help me pull weeds, He showed me what 'Sour Grass' is. I love my garden, the Sunflowers are above the roof, How High Can You Go ?? ^_^

Thumbnail by rentman

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6785632

I wish I could get hubby to help in the yard/garden. He won't even mow the stupid lawn. :-/
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6785866

My SO mows the yard when I whine enough about the weeds, but that's all. The dogs keep me company when I work in the back yard. They love to be outside when I am out there, but all they do is hunt, sun themselves, and stroll around checking out everything. I guess they consider their company to be enough help--"what more could you ask for, Ma?" Anyway, in spite of being terriers, they don't help by digging, for which I am grateful. So I voted me, myself and I.
Shellsort
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6785945

My chickens are my biggest helpers. They keep the bug population down. Although, they are my biggest hindrance as well. They sure do love to scratch and sometimes my plants suffer the wrath of chicken claws.
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6786126

My hubby loves to prepare beds and water, but planting is my duty which works out perfect for us. He loves "his lawn" and takes care of that, as I find that particular plant slightly boring but necessary. lol. i'm in charge of planning and he will execute all tasks that need more muscle than I've got. " can you move that oak barrel with a tree over there? oh no how bout over there..." he's very understanding and only gets frustrated with me sometimes.lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 6, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6786169

Tallulah , I did all those things 50 years ago . On second thought , I did all those things and helped nail on the roof after setting the rafters 10 years ago lol . He does mow twice a year . digger
dobra1629
Houma, LA

July 6, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6786230

When my 3 year old is not filling up the kiddie pool he is my waterboy. He is a big help to me.

Dorothy

Thumbnail by dobra1629

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 6, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6786302

Hey Digger - youse can calls me Susan :-)
seriously though - my DH used to be a roofer, and I would get up on a 2 1/2 storey house, and help his do the "capping" of the shingles at the tippy-top. Picture this - me, having gotten up "ladder 1", moving across the scafold to "ladder 2", then across another scaffold to "6' ladder 3"...then straddling the roof and using a nail gun to affix the shingles. THEN, ladder 3 fell down, and I'm left straddling - at 1am Sunday morning, when it's Pitch Black out and my DH telling me to slide down and lower myself to "ladder 2" HA!! He had to stand on the top of the scaffold and lower me down - no other way I was going to do this when it was so dark I couldn't see anything below. Thing was - I could see at the top where I was, cuz there were steet lights, but the side I had to go down was on the dark side... yikers!!
That was the end of my helping DH doing roofing.

Anyhoooooooo now that he knows I am basically fearless on the ground, or at least on a 10' ladder lol, he lets me do everything until I ask for help...

It's tough being an independant woman sometimes LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 6, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6786426

Yeh , my dh told me yesterday , he liked it because I was independent . Wonder if that's because I seldom ask him for help ? I think men mess stuff up so you don't ask them to do it again .rof,lmao . I'm so old now , I can get up a ladder ok , it's getting back down . My knees don't want to bend that much . Why don't they make a ladder with 5" rungs ? I know I'm not the only one out there .
I think I would have just napped 'till morning up on that roof , straddling it of course .
Anyone is welcome to call me sally . D

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6786566

My little grand-daughter is my best assistant because she thinks gardening is fun!
aussiesunshine
Kyneton
Australia

July 7, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6786707

I liv e in Victoria Australia, Two years ago I lost my eldest of seven, daughter Jenny to cancer. Everything I found was a learning curve. youngest daughter had a baby at 38 and now is expecting a second. Little Miss 3 in October loves cooking. Her best effort is date scones. She calls it rolling up as she rubs butter into flour. The milk and egg goes on woosh in bowl over bowl and on table. She giggles and says doesn't matter we clean it after and proceeds to finish her scones. We make them a little wetter than normal and place in muffin tins which works so well. She is not a replacement for lost one, but boy does she keep my mind busy with lots fun and laughter. Cooking is my delight. Her mother who is now a qualified chef cooked at 14, I cooked at same age littley at 2 years 6 months is going to be a terrific cook. She actually looks at recipe book pics and decides what nest to cook

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6786843

Like Ivory soap, I am the gardener 99 and 44/100ths of the time. I am a do it now while I am thinking about it and DH is an I'm thinking about it. Of course that doesn't stop him from wandering by and saying things like, "You need to deadhead the roses." or "Did you get around to picking any tomatoes?" When I suggest he do it himself, he says he has a bone in his arm and as soon as that gets better he'll get around to it. I knew I should never have shown him how to use the tiller to dig holes...but, he does cut the grass and do the weed-whacking and edging. His favorite thing is spraying Round-up...something I seriously limit for the sake of my plants.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 7, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6786950

As long as you're careful not to hit your plants, Round Up is the safest weed killing chemical you can use. (environmentally) It is virtually non-toxic. It blocks one leg of photo synthesis, simply makes the plant think it's not getting sunlight.

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 6:48 PM
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 7, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6786963

My best assistant would have to be my iPod. Keeps my mind off the boredom of pulling weeds. And right now that seems to be most of what I do in the gardens.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6787145

I agree, DesertPirate, the round-up is safe...the hubby is not. LOL
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6787266

My DH is my biggest helper. He moves my heavier pots when I want them moved, takes down the hanging baskets, that I can't reach because I'm short, when I need to deadhead them, and he pulls weeds from the graveled areas. He also keeps the birdfeeders filled. However, I'm still waiting for him to fix the drip system in the front yard. He and his friend mangled several of the 1/4" tubing lines that go into my potted plants, because they were careless with the lawnmower and weedwhacker. So I have been having to water those containers by hand. He really hates to mow the grass (which is bermuda grass...we can't seem to get rid of it), so he waits until I start nagging about the weeds taking over everything. I do everything else - the planning, the planting, the fertilizing, the daily maintenance, and the watering.

Our DS likes doing the hardscape. He has built me several large redwood planter boxes, so that I could plant shrubs, and a redwood box with a lid to hold some of my gardening supplies. He has also laid pavers in the areas I wanted paved.

The two of them together built me a little greenhouse lean-to last fall, so that some of my more tender plants would survive the winter.

Either this fall, or early next spring, they both will be busy digging out the bermuda grass and weeds in the front yard and building me some raised beds for a veggie garden and a cutting garden. Then I will have them put in some gravel or pavers in between the raised beds to help keep the weeds down. (Ha! They don't know it yet, though!) I intend on keeping them busy, busy busy!!!

Kathy

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 7, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6787333

ME ^_^ I LUV ME ^_^ I sing and dance and muck about with seedlings and plantings and I totally understand me assisting in red satin pjs. I have to give a very close second and a HUGE speech about my true luv though cuz I have a bad back and although he is not a gardener he will dig out clay and grass and turn the compost and I would be in dire straits without him. Third place goes to the crazy ole cat who helps by flattening the cat mint and reports on the bird and bug population on a minutely basis which is important methinks.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2009
7:20 AM

Post #6787913

Me myself and I. The three of us do very well together!
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6788251

My furry friends (2 dogs and 2 cats) keep me company in the garden, which is help enough. Although my mastiff plants herself in front of my watering hose on a hot day for a squirt-down, or she chases the stream of water stepping on plants along the way. Ah well, she is the biggest 'flower' in the garden!

Susan
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6788617

My DH will dig a hole if I ask, but he considers all non- edible plants useless. Yes, he likes to look at them, and admires the pretty flowers, but he'll walk right past a dry droopy plant and not notice it. That said, at least he indulges me in my hobby (OK, obsession!)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 7, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6788965

Dahlianut - you are Soooooooooooo Funny! :-)
btw - I've been telling people about my new Dahlias - one said she thought they only came in one size - Tall. Now, after talking to you and getting some from you (Thank You!), I can talk a Bit knowledgeably about the (at least?) 3 different sizes and uses (border, mid & background).

Thanks so much for the lovely dahlias... they're starting to bloom very well, and ever so pretty. You've converted me!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6789055

Oh I agree - grandchildren!! Should we ever forget for even the briefest of moments the beauty God blesses us with - not just visually but the perfume of all perfumes... Just look to a little one "working" along side of you...watch their face as they bury their nose into a bloom you've held out to them...and listen as only a toddler can say: "ahhhh Yum-mee"

Thumbnail by Chantell

sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6789160

While I do the bulk of the work, I do have occasional helpers. My nephews , 3 1/2 and 5, like to use the push mower while I weed. They also have a hole they've been digging. I have no idea what it's for or why they picked that spot but they sure work hard at it. The dog likes to eat the echinaceas (free style pinching). In between snacks and overseeing my work, she naps in the daylily bed.

~Sharon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 7, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6789817

Chantell , I have two beautiful Maid of Orleans I'll trade you for those babies .I can't get any great grandkids out of either dgk,s LOL digger
Thanks again , maybe they will bloom next year .
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6789851

Skiekitty!! Hello. Your doggy looks like my best buddy Scooter!

Thumbnail by crashbandiscoot

seray53

July 7, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6790410

My DH is as addicted to gardening as I am, so we work together. He loves tomatoes and plumerias. I love daylilies and tropical foliage. He has a horticultural background. I have a farming background. He puts his stuff in containers and I put my stuff in the ground. He does all the chemies and I do the composting. All in all we manage some tomatoes and flowers every year. LOL

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6790430

The only way to get something done right is to do it yourself. Me, myself & I - us. At the nursery I work at we work as a department but I still find the only way to get it done is to stay overtime and get it done properly.
rizzy100
Murfreesboro, TN

July 7, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6790453

Oh, oh, I lied! I said I'm the only helper I've got, then got to thinking about who put together the raised garden forms, who brought in the extra dirt and mulch, and who bought the plants... my dear hubby. He gets very interested in the garden in the early spring, then loses interest in June. I guess this works out O.K. because I'm still in school teaching my brains out in May, so it's good he gets a head start!!! But if I leave for any extended period during the summer months, I tremble wondering what condition the garden will be in when I get back!!
azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6790503

Me, myself & I, of course! What a wonderful team.

See, heres how it worked just last week:

Is always keeping an eye out in the garden for both good and bad things going on. Me & Myself are at the ready.

I saw the return of a Trumpet vines along a 10ft underground runner that refused to die after the mother plant was pulled.
Me & Myself dug down deep to find the 3 inch round root, digging and cutting only to find that it kept breaking into pieces.
I immediately got the Round-Up and began applying it to all exposed roots.
Me & Myself then covered up the hole up with soil again.
I noticed there were other volunteers popping up and cut the new plants down and applied Round-Up to them.
Me helps Myself to a nice cold beer after that ordeal.
I realized that the ice cold bottle of beer needed to be in a chilled glass from the freezer.

The reward priceless!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2009 7:03 PM

Thumbnail by azrobin

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6790644

If I only had a spouse that was interested in helping. It is so hard to do anything in this forsaken land. But I do have a sense of satisfaction and it takes my frustrations out and exhausts me, so it is fine most of the time. We hired someone to haul stuff off today for the first time, since we had a few obstacles in the way of my efforts to landscape.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6790836

If I was really honest about it, Me, Myself, and I really do all the gardening. I love it when my kids get involved, though. Each year, they choose and plant some flowers themselves, which they carefully nurture throughout the summer. I never know what their newest obsession will be. Lately they've been into roses and clematis, which suits me fine! Not what you might expect from two boys, 7 and 10, but they know what looks great!

The veggie garden is mine, all mine, from start to finish. DH helps mow, but that's about it. I sure wish I could get him more involved! Especially where digging up new beds is concerned. . .gets a bit tedious when I have to do it all by myself. LOL

Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6790963

I am the head of a Staff of one. I do all of it, including the lawn. I wish I had help here, but zero interest means zero help, other than harvesting Tomatoes, Blueberries & Cherries. The bright side to this is I make all the decisions about the design work & what to plant.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6791112

I, too, am assisted by Me, Myself, and I, but I do get my face licked by my sweet dog, Raja. Luckily she just sits by my side and licks my fevered brow. DH doesn't care for dirt. Has only recently started eating vegetables. I explained that vegetables that are cooked contain no harmful bacteria and he has hesitantly begun to consume them.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6791364

Just me except cutting the lawn but do not think that is really gardening

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6791601

I said my grandchildren...I only have 1 for now & at almost 2 he does a fine job deadheading & watering. :D
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6791704

I fired me last week, so I had to look for a new job. I hired me this week for intense website programming, but I think I'm going to fire me in a few days and go back to my old boss - me, and try to get my old job back.
The pay isn't much, but the dog likes me right well.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6791780

Good one, gordo. My dog likes me pretty well, too. I don't really have any jobs to get fired from except poll worker and all that happens there is that I keep getting promoted! But it is only once every couple of years. I think I can handle it. The rest of the time its the dog and me digging in the dirt, etc. Most pleasant.
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6791888

I can't vote, WAHHH! All of these polls should have an "other" button! My best helper is my 78 year old mother. Sometimes I think she is sneaking her garden into mine one or two plants at a time. She is always bringing down plants for me to try and fit in somewhere. She has a phenomenal number of plants in the two tiny gardens attached to her retirement cottage, and she seems to think I should aim at an equivalent level of density, LOL! Seriously though, she is a great help and many jobs in the garden go better and faster when she is here, even if it is only for the convivial company while working!

Ciao, KK.

This is a recent shot (mid-June) of about half of one of Mum's two garden areas (See what I mean!!)

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty

Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

July 8, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #6791976

Has to be me, myself and I. Except that I do get help with the lawns, there are 4 between our place and mom's next door, too much for me by myself. The rest is mine and have to say my biggest 'helper' is my boom box and now an MP3, especially with Brian Culbertson playing.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6792620

I have a helpful "staff" too (Me, Myself, & I) and we mostly get along pretty well, except Me keeps coming up with crazy ideas like growing 24 different heirloom tomatoes for a family of two, while Myself insists on WinterSowing beween 80-90 jugs of seeds. I, well, I has been known to procrastinate about jobs like weeding and edging. Lazy slob!

Non-gardening DH has cleverly figured out that if he lavishes praise about our garden efforts, and doesn't object too much about the $$ we spend, he can get away with not helping much!

And as Katye says:
[quote]The bright side to this is I make all the decisions about the design work & what to plant.[/quote]

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6792633

I can't vote either!! My gardening help is a lifelong friend that just found herself out of work. We are having a grand time re-working all my beds this year. If I survive I will post pictures later!!!!

Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6793256

When the hubby is home, he's a master at what he calls "being on the business end of a shovel" since I seem to have a never-ending supply of 50+ year old azaleas and camelias for him to rearrange (I don't like how they were planted decades ago)! In his defense, he's also an avid, talented gardener (and much better at veggies than I am).

However...I agree with art_n_garden that the pooches would've probably gotten my vote had they been an option! The three of us spend more time in the garden than anywhere else, and even if they aren't doing any of the work, their company and playtime often keeps me in the dirt longer than I'd be otherwise!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6794784

My critters help a bit in the garden...The 3 cats are very good at planting themselves exactly where I am working and the 3 dogs are very good at helping me dig...they come right along behind me and try to dig up whatever I have newly planted. But, they are fun and I'd be lost without them.
jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6795368

I do the outside work - since I grow a lot of unusual and hard to find plants, if anyone came in to pull weeds, they would probably pull a significant plant - last year, a friend insisted to help, so I directed her to a shade bed that has mostly hosta, astilbe, - usual stuff...showed her what to pull - namely, ground ivy. About a half hour later I came back to check how she was doing and she had succeeded in pulling my Tricyrtis Raspberry Mouse and Limelight.they look nothing like ground ivy. YIKS !!

Bletilla - Hardy orchids

Thumbnail by jrwbirds

carolyn_haack
Saint Petersburg, FL

July 9, 2009
10:18 AM

Post #6796755

I voted me, myself and I, but given a choice, I would have voted "Other". The butterflies help lighten my spirits, and the neighbor's cat helps to supervise.

Occasionally DH comes out with a glass of seltzer, or to tell me to stay out of the sun.

All in all, it works out pretty well.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6797377

I would have checked children, but it said loves to help. My son has to get "paid" when helping and still gripes. He won't get up early to come help...he sleeps until noon and then works two hours in the hot sun and has to go home to get ready for his regular job. If he would get here early the two hours would be in the cool shade and then he could nap in the hot part of the day.
DH is helpful but he does the deck plants and really doesn't do much in the yard now other than deadhead cannas. But then he has respiratory problems.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

July 9, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6797381

For heavy construction (arbors, walkways, digging out new beds), our college age son is my best helper. For spraying, fertilizing and lawn maintenance, hubby is my best helper. For plant selection, all the lovely ladies and gents on DG are my best helpers! For pond cleaning and maintenance, fountain cleaning and maintenance, art design and installation, garden design, bed prep, planting, pruning, weeding, problem diagnosis, splitting out, documenting, etc., etc., etc. it's the trio of me, myself and I. Before our daughter was married, she didn't show much interest in gardening... but the rest of us all enjoy going to the nurseries together to see what's new... and all three of us have been known to stop the car to get a better look at plants or gardens that catch our attention. We've also specifically planned trips to Epcot in April to be there for the annual garden displays and seminars.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 9:34 AM
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6797681

Sheila, if I worked the swing shift I wouldn't wake up early either.
CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6798786

Well my cat tiger was my best helper. Now that he is gone after 20 years its just me now. Maybe some day another cat will show up like Tiger did and stay and help me.
Greg
Zone 9

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6799649

After I voted I did realize my DH did help me. Last year I cleaned out an area for a raised bed and he set it up and helped me fill it with soil. This year he built a "Garden Patio" over the raised bed with a sun screen over the top. I guess he does help a lot. He takes care of the front lawn, but can't get him to weed the flower beds. I do appreciate his help as he has a lot going on medically. My dogs do come out to watch me dig in the dirt. I
icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 10, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6800562

My dog is a small hole digger, mainly to bury things. So far he's pretty good about staying out of the flowers, just sniffs. O.K. and he did mark one of my roses for a bit this year. It now has a big brown spot in the center. *GASP!* So me, myself & I for now, with dog and occasional cat supervision :)

Thumbnail by icanfindroom

Agrinerd
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6801197

The family cats weren't much help, but they were good compamy. Unfortunately, they saw the freshly tilled garden as the biggest, bestest, warmest, fluffiest litter box in the world!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6801957

Do your cats object to your putting plants in their litter box?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6802244

I can see the need for a 'spin-off' Voting booth topic.

Stay tuned for a 'non-human helper' poll in a few weeks!
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6803006

My DH helps in his way: he tolerates my gardening behavior when it bugs him.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6803149

I voted, me, myself and I. I wish I had helpers. DH buys me what I need and that is the end to his help. But like so many of you have pointed out, at least I have control over where things go and how it looks. Not a big consolation to me, though.
Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6803222

Melody, did you ever imagine so many people would prefer voting for their pets over their significant others?

I think one of the reasons the pets are getting so many votes is that they're such great company without injecting a single opposing opinion or quietly grumbled explatives...can't say the same for the hubby when I have him moving 8 foot tall camellias in the middle of a hot afternoon! It's almost like voting for me,myself and I with perpetually happy companions!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6803274

Over the years, I've had various non-human assistants. Some preferred to hold a supervisor position, other than a participating one, but they do tend to be interested in what we're up to. I've had a few cats over the years that could definitely complain if things didn't go their way, and a couple of dogs that didn't want their universe altered...so opinions are not limited to homo-sapiens.
mujvari
Windsor, CO

July 10, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6803473

My dog, Tashi, is a big helper just by smiling, and giving me encouraging wuffs. When Tashi smiles, the whole world smiles with him.

Thumbnail by mujvari

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 10, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6803828

Me and Tashi would get along just fine . Me in my leather recliner and Tashi keeping my lap warm . D
Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6804131

My kitties have an enclosure of their own, and I must confess that I'm scrutinized by one of the kitties anytime I'm weeding around or trimming "her" catnip, but other than Danish, none of the others really care what I do until I have to cut the grass in there (when they all go inside until I've finished and they can come out to inspect). My dogs don't mind things being rearranged in the least, and thoroughly enjoy when the grass has been freshly mowed!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6804223

Tashi can come help in my garden any time. Just Adorable and knows just the right kind of pose.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #6805218

This is my team of helpers. The pruners have been with me since 1990.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 11, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6805223

LOL! I like it! :)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #6805274

It used to be that I could count on my neighbors children to ask if they could help me plant my veggies, but they have since moved away. Meanwhile, although my cat thinks I am trying to play with her when I am planting things, she is my number one helper!! She was taught at an early age that if she caught birds, I'd take them away, so she gave up. But when it comes to gophers, she is priceless!! I can't recount here all the damage gophers have done over the years before she is able to catch them. They are not that easy for a cat to catch. The little buggers fight back to!! I grow most of my own food and even the seed I use for the next year. My yard really is my grocery store, so I vote for my cat!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2009
6:52 AM

Post #6805313

90% me, myself and I 10% the kiddies(6 and almost 3) until they find something more fun to do. Maybe when they're older???? Ha Ha, who am I kidding?
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6806530

My husband helps me with big things like digging or rototilling, but for the most part it's all me. Occasionally when my daughter asks for money I'll take her outside, identify a weed for her, and ask her to pull them all. (She's 12.) But alas, she's not as thorough as I am. :P

My dogs helped once by catching a chipmunk (there are a ton of them here), but unfortunately they do more walking and peeing on my plants than anything else.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 11, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6808062

I voted spouse which really is a giggle since DH is a much better gardener than I am. I do get to choose the iris plants which is our main focus; although he does so little choosing that if he says he wants it, we get it. (Nice long sentence.) He cuts the lawn but is not really interested in grass--yea!
Eclecticuno
Fort Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 12, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6808354

I voted for myself because there's no one else around. I've hired a neighborhood youngster, but he tends to disappear when I need his help the most! I've heard people complain about dogs digging holes all over the place; sure could use one of those!
Marianne
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6808584

I voted me, myself and I, I had my son help me one year and he pulled a perennial out by the roots that I had been waiting two years for it to bloom but he told me he wouldn't pull anything I told him not to lol He also likes to yank the weeds out without getting the roots because it's faster mom!

Potagere

July 12, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6809228

Me, myself and I. My lovely wife has removed both lilies and poppies because "they were so ugly, they had to be weeds". Like LeBug, I had waited 2 years for those lilies to bloom, and they were laden with buds!

Speical mention has to go to my cat, Bella, who can thin a row of beans in no time just by rolling around while I weed nearby!
WigglyPaw
Hastings, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6809930

I get song and dance about "they don't need such a big hole-just stick the shovel in and push it to widen the spot and stick the
plant in".

One year I had a tractor with an auger on it. It made lovely 4 foot deep 2 foot holes. We had to sell the tractor and the
auger went away too. Ah me.

Now, I dig only in the spring, when the ground is more forgiving.

Sher
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6811593

My best helper is my daughter's boyfriend - and the problem is - he is only 19 and she is only 21, so the odds are they will eventually breakup. sigh . . .
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6816248

Think positive. Evidently he's more mature than most 19 year olds. He knows to get on GFs Mom's good side. LOL.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 14, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6817567

Amen to the good side . My momma was a con from the word go . She used to have my boyfriends bring along another friend and wash the cars , mow the grass , and one time , wash all the house and screens . The pay was all the Ice tea and store bought cookies they wanted . My boyfriends didn't come around much after one episode of that . Don't understand it ! LOL . D
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6824474

My kitty, Creamy, is the best. Her main jobs are keeping me company and rolling around in freshly dug dirt; but she's equally good as an ornament as well as patting precious plants with her gentle fluffy tail. She decided to harvest our last catnip planting without an OK from the boss, so know I keep it out of reach and she gets one leaf rubbed in her face on each trip out to the garden. She won't leave me alone til she gets it :)
ToucanOasis
Tilaran
Costa Rica

July 16, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6825983

Ummmm. My gardener !
Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6826091

Acfrancis, I have SEVERAL cats, and they have 24/7 access to their nip with a very effective method I devised out of sheer desperation. I also use the same method for my potted plants on the porch and inside since that used to be a favorite napping spot (and litter box, with the larger planters), and I therefore lost a ton of plants!

I started out by creating domes of chicken wire with the catnip, to keep the rootball safe. This is difficult to weed around, though, and eventually becomes smooshed. One day I had an epiphany, and it has been ridiculously successful! I buy the hanging baskets with the coconut liner, and put it upside-down on the plant. I shimmy the rim about 1/2" below soil level, and in the case of the nip I also use 3-4 lanscape fabric pins to secure it even more. The cats have access to everything that grows outside the basket, but no amount of eating or wallowing can kill the plant. With being able to keep them as perennials like this, and using organic fertilizer, I have the most poten nip imaginable! It's so strong that a cat with almost no sense of smell, belonging to someone I work with, actually gets high from it!

The plant in the photo is two years old.

Thumbnail by Emma75

Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6826109

This brom was almost killed because it was so cozy, so I got one of the baskets that I could cut every-other wire out of to allow for the larger plants. I cut all the foliage off, and kept my fingers crossed that it would come back. It's taken almost two years to get back to this state, but even when the cats try to jump in the pot, they can't keep their balance due to the dome hidden deep within.

Thumbnail by Emma75

acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6826143

Emma, that is brilliant!! I have used one of those upside-down baskets to protect certain plants from squirrels, but never thought to use it for the kitty as well. Thanks a bunch!! Now my little gardener will be able to garden anytime she wants. Then of course, she will have to take a snooze :)

Amye

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6826390

Good job, Emma. They say necessity is the mother of invention...I think gardening contributes a lot to that.
Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6827446

Ha-ha, tears of desperation more like it! I was already using this method with the catnip for a good 18 months before realizing I could use it with my potted plants. When a fern that belonged to the hubby's grandmother was killed by the cats, and the brom and a peace lily were also on the verge of dying, I'd had enough.

I just took this photo of the inside of the brom. You can see from the last pic that the basket is invisible once the plant fills out!

Thumbnail by Emma75

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 27, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6872163

I grow cat mint for the crazy ole cat and he can beat it up, roll on it, sleep on it and it just bounces back. Maybe your kittys might prefer cat mint and spend less time 'stalking' the catnip ?
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6873242

I've not heard of it. Does it grow in heat and humidity? Sounds purrific!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6874005

I think the name is Nepeta, and a popular form is called Walkers Low, if I'm not confused. I think it was named perennial of the year recently, too, because it is so hardy and long blooming. Check it out!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37051/
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 28, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6876458

Yes nepeta it is. I don't think I have the Walkers Low though as mine self sows. I deflower it to keep it in check. The crazy ole cat helps deflower it by rolling on it and squishing the flowers.
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6877645

I can't wait to get some!!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 29, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6878620

Here's a demo 'Ok Dahlia I'll help you deflower the catmint.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 29, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6878630

"Flattened' catmint which always bounces back

Thumbnail by dahlianut

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 29, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6878635

Just in case there is a question about the flattening method that is constantly practised.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Emma75
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #6878803

There's also cat thyme (Teucrium marum or Teucrium maru), which is great for the kitties that don't really like catnip. It has a similar scent, but is just different enough that some of my kitties prefer this one to the nip. The flowers are really pretty as well, much more so than catnip. I've been looking for the catmint for more than a year, but havne't found it anywhere except mail order so far...maybe next spring at the Master Gardener's Faire from the herb man!
icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 29, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #6878837

LOL Dahlianut! I especially like the last picture!
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2009
6:23 AM

Post #6878848

Flower bed or veggie garden?
Well I guess I have to say my BF is helpful in both. Waters my flowers when I'm not there^_^
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

July 29, 2009
7:09 AM

Post #6878908

ROFLOL Thanks Dahlia...I needed a laugh!! Nobody wants to help in my garden right now. Too Hot!!
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6879545

Your crazy kitty is adorable, just want to get my hands on his fluffy belly. He's one happy guy. Your'e right about the catmint, it looks beautiful.

Here's my silly girl helping while I was repotting one morning. She was feral when I began renting here, the place really is her garden and I'm allowed to enjoy it with her. She is a great ratter, including the fuzzy-tailed rats, which is fine by me as they ruin anything they can get their paws on, including devouring pounds of birdseed if I didn't foil them.

Thumbnail by acfrancis

acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6879579

After a long morning working in the garden...

The next shot is my ecstatic hunter, squirrel-lovers may need to avert their eyes.

Thumbnail by acfrancis

acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6879599

Here is the great protector of the garden with her quarry.

Yes, she brings them in the house =O

Thumbnail by acfrancis

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 29, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6880039

I have the catmint in the herb bed with oregano behind it which can also take some knocks if the 'flattening' gets out of hand. acfrancis although a little ewwwy you must be honoured that your BF is sharing with you. Sigh the crazy ole cat is too slow to catch Damien the Spawn of Satan Tree Rat.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6880050

I learned very quickly not to step out the back door barefooted...step on a dead mole once...never want to do it again.
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6881493

The first time she brought a rat in, I was pretty freaked out. It has become commonplace now. I actually have videoed her tossing and playing, it really is funny. And she eats every little bit, leaving only tails and one other part I won't describe. She's not fast enough to get birds usually, but she caught a baby Ginny Wren and a mama Cardinal once :(

My kitty won't eats moles either, nor garter snakes.

This squirrel tail has become a favorite plaything.

Thumbnail by acfrancis

kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6882175

Moon, my daughter-in-law jumped out of bed fast once at my mom's house and stepped right on a baby mouse, killing it.
We then stated to call her Killer or Bigfoot...LOL

Thats one of the reason this guy came into my mom's house.

Thumbnail by kassy_51

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6882372

Two Sunday mornings in a row, Mea decided to share a live squirrel with us...before 7AM and hopped right up in bed with us...cat squirrel and VERY upset husband...we chased that squirrel around the house for better part of an hour each time...three kids running around hollering "Don't hurt the squirrel", three cats and two dogs trying to help and me sitting in the middle of the floor laughing while my husband is telling everyone to be quiet and go in the other room...what a trip! One Sunday...it happens...two in a row...what are the odds?
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 30, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6882415

ROTFL...I love it.
Mine are no longer allowed to go outside. I have 3 too. My big guy use to be a hunter, and would love to go outside, but we live in town now, and I want to keep him for a few more years.

Thumbnail by kassy_51

acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6883024

Mea mustve thought the first episode was great fun, the whole pride on the hunt - she mustve wanted to do it again. That's hilarious!!! My kitty brings in live lizards, and the first rat ever was still alive. Hopefully I'll never see one in bed!
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

July 30, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6883137

This is Fluffy, a feral that decided to adopt us. She's still a little on the wild side, sometimes a lot. She's my constant companion in the garden, has even been known to lick my nose when I'm weeding and I talk to her. She has her own kitty door into the garage now, so she has a safe place to sleep, away from the wild ones out there. We have fox, nutria, raccoons, etc. I put a heat pad out for her when the temps get too low in winter. She brings treasures now and again, leaves them by the front door.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6883250

You know you are part of the pack when they start sharing their kills...I do TRY to be gracious...Grin
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 30, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6885599

Yes, but can't they kill them before they try to share?
My big guy would bring live mice to the door. I told him he couldn't come in with that. That was very nice, but NO!

We had one that even brought a snake home for us ones, and it was alive and very pissed off!
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6886803

Fluffy is beautiful! I love how they find places to perch that just fit their little bodies (sometimes they barely just fit)

Kassy, are your kitties buds or was that picture of all three just a rare occasion?
icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 31, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6887748

All the cat pictures are cute! Sally your kitty sounds awfully spoiled, I'll bet she's glad she found you :)

Kassy LOL! The snake reminds me of a cat we had growing up. He used to come running down the lawn with a gardener snake tail in his mouth and the snake bouncing along between his legs. Talk about pissed off snake!
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6889779

All 3 of mine are buds, and all rescue cats in a way. The big guy was born to a wild farm cat. I had to take him when he was young or I never would have gotten him. I think he was about 4 weeks old if that. He was raised on what is called Tigers Milk and I can tell. That's why he got the name Simba. He use to sit and watch wrestling with my son. And he played fetch with beanie babies when he was little.

The dark little girl was dropped off at a friends house. She was attacked by one of his male cats, and he heard it and ran out to find out what was doing on. He rescued her from the male cat and he already had 5 kittens of his own to find homes for, so I took her. I couldn't resist after he sent me photo's of her in e-mails. I found homes for 2 of his kittens for him too.

And then there is Buddy, the orange guy. His is a interesting story. He showed up at and assisted care home where I worked. He was missing an eye, the tip of his ear, and he couldn't walk on one of his back legs. (I don't know if it was just out of joint or what.). I knew 2 of the residents were trying to feed him,so i started taking him out some of the left overs in a dish. At first he would hiss and run away. It didn't take long though before he started trusting me and coming to me when I would step outside and say "Where is my buddy?". He even started laying down and rolling around and wanted me to pet him.
When I knew I was going to be leaving that job, I knew I had to catch Buddy some how to bring him home. Buddy had never let me pick him up and to this day he is still afraid of being picked up (I'm thinking he was abused.). I took a cat carrier in to work one rainy night and a toy to try to lure him into it. The first time I went outside I put the carrier out there and opened it and called him. He came running. He checked out the carrier a few times. Put his head in it, walked around it checking it out and put his head in it again, and walked into it and layed down...LOL I quick closed the door on it and called my daughter-in-law to come and get him.
I haven't been able to get him into one that easy since.
At times they all lay together like in that picture I posted above and at times they are all in different places, and at times it's 2 of them laying together.

Thumbnail by kassy_51

kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6889792

Oh, and Simba use to help in the garden if you call it help. He would go to one side of it and watch me and then come running though the garden to attack me.
Simba as a baby.

Thumbnail by kassy_51

kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6889798

Simba giving Buddy a bath.

Thumbnail by kassy_51

icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 31, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6889939

More cute kitty photos ;) Mine is sacked out on his bed by the window. Both my critters are rescued. Only way to go I think.

Kassy I had a neighbors cat that would use my leg as a stopping post after he came charging down the lawn at me. Seems like I was always wearing shorts when that happened too! Little bugger. My parents lived on a lake for a few years and I would fish off the dock. That cat was always leaning out in front of me when I brought one in. Drove me crazy. One day I heard some scrambling and turned around just in time to see him fall of the dock LOL. It was shallow water and he was fine but you can't imagine how many times the thought had occurred to me to teach him how to swim with a gentle nudge. I just sat there and laughed. I'm not sure my neighbors believed I didn't do it.
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6891161

I love baby Simba! He's missing the spot on his nose, mustve stuck it in something that wont rub off, lol.

My kitty was befriended by the previous tenants when they moved in - she was about 6mos by the vet's estimate. They coaxed her with food and squirt-can style whip cream. She wouldn't go with them when they moved and they were heart-broken. They set out a live trap and food for weeks, but only managed to catch a possum and attract toms and coons, so by the time I moved in she was terrorized by the monsters and starving. I was unpacking one day when I heard her tiny mew outside. All I had in the house was a can of sardines. Yummy, she said.

I call her Creamy because we also made friends over whipped cream, she still gets a spot of half-and-half at bedtime. I remember all our firsts, like the first time she rubbed against my leg while I was getting her dinner and the first time she let me rub her tummy. Never planned on having a kitty (I'm allergic) but we are together for good (if I can talk her into leaving her garden home when the time comes, I promise her we'll have a garden when we move)
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6894276

Awwww, I hope Creamy stays with you forever acfrancis ^_^

Ican, Simba use to chase me around mom's house and try to catch me. He would jump up at my legs...And he has claws!! And I had shorts on!! OUCH!!
Around and around we would go, down the hall, thought the living room, through the dining room down the hall again. He got smart and turned around and started going the other way. Yikes!

Thumbnail by kassy_51

icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

August 3, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6900376

That's sweet acfrancis! I haven't heard of a cat that liked whipped cream. Lucky you moved in. :)

Kassy, cute picture of Simba. Yes, cat claws and shorts DO NOT go together LOL! "What are all those little red lines on your legs?"
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #6900500

ican, you should see the scars on my arms. I was not only his mother, but his playmate...LOL
The scares are a lot lighter now, but they are still there. Like I said, he was named Simba for a reason!
And I fed him with a bottle at first. I used the same hand all the time...OUCH, those little nails are like needles. But you know what. At times he still puts his mouth by that area on that hand that held the bottle. :)

Thumbnail by kassy_51

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America