Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6784152

JasmineBugli sent me over kindly, some seeds of the gloriosa lily for me to grow. She had got it from a trade from her friend. They are now about 10 months old. Since it is the rainy season now it is time to start seeds because the conditions are very favourable for that in this part of the country. I'm requesting some help as to how to go about it. I plan to sow the seeds in its permanent location which I'm going to choose very shortly, since it is a climbing vine. I plan to place it near the compound wall and later will give some support. How long does it take to germinate and grow into a flowering plant? Advance thanks.

Dinu
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7057386

Hi, I'm new here and never grew one from seeds BUT did grow some from naked bare root tubers and they took 2 months to bloom here in zone 7. Mine is making seeds now. Did your sprout for you and grow? Just wondering if you had found out how long it takes.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #7059060

I sowed some 8 seeds more than 4 weeks ago and still no signs of any sprouting. In the meantime, a local friend says he has an extra plant and is willing to part with it. So let's see.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7059369

That is great, I was going to say if they didn't sprout, let me know and I'd send you a tuber to get started with. Some nice people helped me get my first one. Good luck.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2009
9:48 AM

Post #7061989

Thanks mekos.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7191104

Dinu, My g. lily kindly left me some seed. This is the first year I have grown G. L. and both my husb and I love it. I ordered a tuber from Select Seeds. Please let me know how your seeds worked out.
I will have to plant my seeds in a pot and see if they grow. I have learned from my experience to plant seeds that I really want to grow in pots instead of direct sow. I can watch them and hover more..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7191429

Dinu, Mine bloomed and gave me a huge seed pod. I'm letting it dry to see if they will be ok. How did yours do? Did you get a plant and blooms yet? It frosted the last couple nights here and a light freeze, so I took mine in to the greenhouse for winter. It has another seed pod on the vine but I pulled the biggest one to dry. I'm curious as to how yours did for you.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 21, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7193760

The ones I sowed must have rotted. I haven't visited my friend also. But he told me it is surely there in his garden.

mekos, how many seeds would one pod produce? I think I should have sowed when they were fresh, or so I guess now.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7194152

I have never looked inside the pod, but would be happy to send you the big pod and a tuber if you would like to try again. Send me a d-mail with your address and I will get it mailed out tomorrow. When you are ready to sow the seeds, you tell me how many seeds are in the pod. I would think, quite a few. But I have several vines going and don't need the seeds so would be happy to share with you.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #7196069

That so kind of you mekos. I think zone 7b would not be much of a problem in zone 10. Will let you know.
Keriblu
Johannesburg
South Africa

October 29, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7221232

I am not sure why you want to sow the seed in their permanent location. Much harder to look after. I think the seed should not be too old, but if you sow in a pot you will know what you are looking at if they do sprout. I have grown them from seed over the years and have quite a number round about in my garden. They are indigenous to Southern Africa and so they are happy in this environment. I don't think they should have too much water. Certainly not any sort of flooding. They take some time to climb up something - I found being left in a pot for a season then planting the tuber out is best.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2009
5:49 AM

Post #7255117

Thanks for the inputs Keriblu. I think the seeds I sowed are now rotted as there is no sign even after many months. As you said, the seeds need to be fresh for best germination. The ones I had were some months in the packet which the friend had sent me. I don't know how long before she had kept and the grower kept before that!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America