Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Cannas - Aggressive Pruning?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 69, Views: 413
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 6, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6785211

I have a couple of Canna plants. One of them is doing quite well; the other has tattered leaves and isn't growing too well, rarely every sprouting a flower stalk. Is it adviseable to prune them to the ground in hopes that they will come back stronger/better, or should I leave them alone? Their counterpart, sitting a mere foot away are growing well, though they haven't produced flowers for a couple months either. Thanks.
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6790316

I told my neighbor just the other day that I wouldn't mind if my cannas didn't bloom at all...simply because I think the leaves are more showy than the actual flowers!

Last year I put in two cannas. One in the spring and one in the heat of July. That poor canna that I planted in July looked burnt up for the rest of the season but this year...it looks just as good as the rest!

In my zone ( zone 7 ) I wouldn't dare prune anything right now. It's just too hot here.

I know none of this helped you at all. I hope someone comes along soon that has some answers for you!
DyanesGarden
Port Washington, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6790332

They don't overwinter for me here so I'm not sure what is best there. I do have experience with tattered leaves. Last year we had a severe hail storm that shredded every leaf on every Canna in the garden. I removed all the damaged leaves and they came back within weeks looking better than ever.
Dyane

lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

July 7, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6790561

I think this is something that everyone has an opinion on and really there is no right or wrong way to prune your cannas. I give mine a haircut several times a year. If the leaves start looking ratty I cut them back to the good leaves. When I'm tired of looking at the bloom stalks sticking way up, I cut them back too. Each and every year my cannas double or triple in plants. I have tons of different ones and just yesterday I cut some back, trimmed the bloomstalks and even pulled some up to toss in the trash.

I planted some on both sides of a flowerbed and they have a take over the world attitude. So when they start multiplying like crazy I just pull some of them out and toss them. That is of course after I planted about 50 different bunches of them all over this place. One can only have so many yellow cannas. Now I'm working on transplanting some of the different colors all over the farm. I've also relocated tons of Cleopatra here. Now if I could just get a bunch of pinks and pastel colors to plant everywhere I'd have it made.

Like Dyane said, you remove the leaves and cut them back some and they plants come back looking better than ever.

Happy Gardening, Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 8, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6792809

Wow thank you all for the responses. Nice cannas Marian! I will trim back the tattered stuff and hope for the best. It has been 90-100 degrees here every day for 2 weeks so I may wait before I get clipper happy. My cannas are the type with the showy red/green/yellow/orange-streaked leaves and the orange flower stalks. One other thing I noticed about when the flowers bloom is that they have somewhat pitiful petals. In your picture, your petals look strong and stiff - mine kind of lay limp as if somewhat wilted, though they get plenty of water.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 8, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6793064

When mine slow down in blooming ,I give them another soaking of water . They always put out more blooms . I try to keep the soil moist , but a good soaking keeps them in bloom . digger
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6794989

i cut my cannas down to the ground whenever they start to annoy me, lol.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 9, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6796087

Don't know any thing about cannas in cold country but down south they are very invasive. Canna roots are ryzones. They store energy in them and a piece an inch long will sprout and make a new plant. I dug up a whole row the length of my property and raked out all the roots I could find, piled and burned the whole mess. Next spring my burn pile sprouted as well as the row I had dug up. Take the weed wacker and cut them off at the ground and they will come back no matter how hot it is. Also, if you really want the canna to bloom right, you need to keep them dead headed. Hope this helped.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 10, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6803037

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just cut the ugly one to the ground and watch it sprout back up! I have seen new shoots popping up from around the plant, so I figured they'd spread like those darn Mexican Petunias. What does "dead headed" mean? I would love for them to bloom again...thanks!
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6803077

Darn Mexican Petunias??? Do they spread like crazy??? My daughter's MIL sent me some of those...I always had a feeling that she really didn't like me!
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 10, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6803097

Hahaha yeah they spread like crazy down here. They are considered extremely invasive and the state tries to disuade people from planting them. Funny thing is municipalities will throw fields of them in the medians and lining the roads in some areas...go figure! They spread from their root systems. You'll be plucking them out of other plants and even out of your grass!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 10, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6803501

Dead-Heading means when the flower stallk on the canna is bloomed out, take your nippers or what ever you use and follow it down to the plant and cut it off. It will put up another bloom spike in a few days.

Mexican petunias, I rank right up there with wisteria, canna, and Lantana. It not only roots from the root but every flower that falls off carries a deligtful little seed with it just like periwinkle. Plantted some in a 4x8 bed in front yard. been pulling those darn things up for the last 2 years and still sprouting. Yep, they are invasive.
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6803710

Wisteria I have in the same bed as the Mexican Petuna. Cannas I just love though. It's the leaves on them that I like so much. Lantana I can't get to come back for anything here. I tried the Ms Huff but that didn't come back either. I still plant it, but now I just get the $2.98 version at Lowe's. As a matter of fact I have some growing now in pots on my front porch. How do you think that's going to work out...Lantana in a pot?

PrimRose is the most invasive plant I've had so far. I planted a little piece last year...the tag said 'mounding'. When it started coming up this year it was everywhere. It's doing it's best to take out about half of one of my beds...smothering everything in it's way too. I've dug out two thirds of it three times so far...in no time at all though...it's just as thick as it was before I took the shovel to it.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 11, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6805158

Started plant some prim rose. Glad I didn't now. Like for stuff to stay where I put it. Don't really understand the Lantana. The type we have is very hearty and invasive. Don't know what kind it is, got a start from my Mom years ago. Do you know Becky and Tommy Wilson in Jackson. My favorite niece.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 11, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6805482

Lantana is pretty ,from a far distance . It is native in coastal Texas . That stuff stinks , even the hybred plants . Neighbor had it next door when I was a kid and had to pass it every time I came and went to school .It's hard work to dig it up and the roots keep putting out far from the parent plant .
If someone can tell me the name of a scentless one , I wouldn't mind making a container plant of it , but Never in the yard
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6808526

Becky and Tommy Wilson...can't say that I do. What are their ages? Do they have children?
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 12, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6808630

Tommy is 70 and retired from one of the cannerys in Jackson. He was over the warehouse I think. Becky is 65 and works at the college. Children are grown Allen lives in Oregon I think and Laura lives in Kentucky. Just wondered. Jackson is a nice city. We usually spend the night there when we go to see our daughter in Ohio. It is about half way.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 13, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6813386

Well I cut the struggling tattered canna to the ground on Saturday. On Sunday, there were already new chutes poking out of the ground. Will the plant re-grow out of the pruned "stumps", or will they just wilt and decompose? One other thing I noticed was the abundance of snails hiding amongst the base of the canna. I smashed them against the fence, but I'm sure there will be more where they came from. Any suggestions on a deterrant? I'm not afraid of chemicals.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 13, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6814510

Don't worry about the canna they will be back. On one of the other threads the talk is all about sluggo. Never tried it personally but from what was said it is a good product. Luck.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6815850

once you know that the stem has produced all the flowers it can and you don't see signs of any new buds forming, you should always cut that stalk to the ground because basically it's finished. new little pups will shoot up around it and be blooming before you know it. the old one is just sapping water, food and energy from the new ones.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 14, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6817739

Jim, thanks for the sluggo suggestion. I'll read that thread.

Trackin - Hello my fellow Floridian! I've been "deadheading" my bloom stalks, but only cutting them down to the leaf growth. Should I be cutting them all the way down to the ground?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6817749

hi back at ya!

yes, cut them to the ground when they are finished blooming.
cannas can fool you sometimes because after a full flowerhead is finished blooming, another one will start, usually right under the first one but once that second one is done, i cut to the ground.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 14, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6817767

Thanks trackin! I'll get right on it! On a side note, do you have any tropical fruit trees in central Florida? I'm growing Mango (Julie) and papaya.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6817993

i don't personally but there are those here who do grow them. it's getting harder and harder with the wicked winters we've been having. papaya is pretty easy because it's a fast grower and usually comes back from the roots.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 14, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6818005

It's a bit milder down here, but during this past winter, I had to cover much of my plants. I actually had frost on my grass in S.E. Florida - unimaginable!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6818279

here was my ghost garden this winter.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 14, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6818603

Wow nice garden. I wish I had those wide open spaces. I'm sitting on 1/3 acre including the house with most of the back yard a patio. I'm somewhat limited on space, unfortunately. Hopefully we get milder winters in the future (I can imagine the individuals up north laughing at our concept of a winter).

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6818804

well, we have wide open spaces but truthfully, i only garden in a tiny part. too many weeds and heat and bugs to deal with! lol
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 14, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6818952

Haha I can understand that.
bobby404
Arcadia, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6821652

We have Canna in several places, I never knew to cut them back. They grow great, look good and seem pretty tolerant of the heat. As for evasive stuff...We have Coffee Bean plant very evasive but again can live through anything. The freeze last winter in Jan killed the biggest ones, and low and behold this spring they are back. Another one is Cranberry Hibiscus, it too seems to die all the way to the roots then we seem to start pulling sprouts from everyplace. But it is better than being North where you have to shovel LOL.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 15, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6822183

Haha I hear that. Fortunately that frost didn't kill anything here. I covered my bouganvilla tree, hibiscus bushes, cannas, other misc. plants I don't know the names of (rooted some cuttings from plants at my mother-in-law's), and the mango tree. Everything pulled through.

Update on the cannas: new leaf stalks have pushed through the ground around the ones I chopped down and are now a few inches tall. Unlike most "woody" type plants I'm used to, it looks like the cannas won't re-grow from the clipped stumps, but rather spring anew from the roots. I'm happy that this is the type of plant that you can chop to the ground and regrow in a matter of weeks from the looks of it. These leaves can tatter easily and snails/slugs love them, so it's good to be able to do this! My hibiscus are a different story, however. I guess I need to pick up a box of sluggo.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6822491

the canna, being a non-woody plant, is more like a banana. the old ones die and pups spring up after flowering and fruiting.

you may want to invest in some Bt (thuricide) or spinosad (fertilome borer, bagworm and leafminer spray) because eventually you will have canna leaf rollers if you don't already. both of these products are made with bacteria and are completely safe to use around pets/kids, etc. it works by disrupting the digestive system of the caterpillar and they die of starvation within a day or two. it only works on caterpillars and do not use it on plants that you are growing for butterflies. i spray mine down once a month and i never have any eaten leaves. will not work on slugs either.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 15, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6822555

Hey trackinsand, thanks for the information. Those leaf rollers are a real problem for me. One of the reasons I did away with most of the cannas around the house. We have some purple leafed ones I really like and this is the first year they have been bothered.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6822856

i should have made my last post a little clearer. the Bt works on cats only. the spinosad works for all or most leaf eating pets, but they do work the same way essentially. i like the Bt for the cannas.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6825430

I think tracks meant to say leaf eating "pests", not "pets".
(Sorry deb...just don't want someone thinking their dog or cat or rabbit will be in jeapordy...lol )

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6825934

lol, glad you caught that one!
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 20, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6841626

Trackin - Thanks for the information. I'll make a stop at the depot and pick some up, assuming it can be purchased there. Hoping to keep them looking great!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6841758

look for Thuricide. that is a brand name.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 20, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6841818

Will do. That canna flower is beautiful.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6841826

that is Cleopatra. the buds are neat too.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Lynda_45
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6844867

Hey ! This canna info is great. I spent a pretty penny on some "Pink Sunburst "canna from a highly recommended nursery. I have them planted around my birdbath. They have looked "ratty" from the git-go. I ordered them for the foilage as well as the bloom. You guys have given me the courage to prune those buggers. Any advise on how far to go ?
Lynda
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 21, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6844889

To the ground.
Lynda_45
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6845046

Thanks Jim 41,I'm gonna trust your advice and do the deed. Small world, I was watching you two talk about Jackson,Tn. That was my home too. It has gotten so big since I grew up there. Back then, you really did know almost everybody in town ,but now, so much industry and many many new people. I still get homesick.
Lynda

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6845665

one other thing i'll throw in here. if your cannas continue to look ratty and you've determined that they are free of canna leaf rollers, then they need feed. cannas are heavy feeders and i feed mine once a month with an all purpose granular feed that contains N-P-K plus minors. minor elements are very important, imho, for all plants. too often the fertilizers we buy contain only the big 3 and it's especially important when a plant is getting a lot of water because the nutrients wash out so quickly.
Lynda_45
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6845805

Thanks, I was told when I first started with cannas that they only need feeding when they come up in spring. Maybe mine does need some nourishment.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 21, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6845820

Trackin - thanks for that information. I've never fed them. I guess this is a good time to start!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

July 21, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6845947

I've never fed them either.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6846215

if you have a lot of brown edges on your leaves, that is usually a potassium deficiency. they seem to need that almost more than anything. that is the K in the N-P-K.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 21, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6846359

Trackin - does a potassium deficiency cause browning on the edges of leaves on other plants as well? I have a couple landscaping plants (can't remember the name - the ones with thin trunk stalks and dark-light waxy purple leaves that grow out of it the entire length from the ground to the peak) that have the same browning edges/tips.
Lynda_45
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6846628

Trakin
Can you recommend a good food for them by name ? I usually have to send my hubbie out for me and he usually needs specifics.
Thanks again- Lynda
Lynda_45
Jacksonville, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6846650

Trackin
Sorry I spelled your name wrong. It's definately nap time. lol
Lynda

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6847598

yes, brown edges usually mean a lack of potassium in pretty much all plants. it can be due to other things however. nothing is written in stone with plants. you have to observe and think of all the things it could be, then start ruling things out.

lynda, i don't know if you have the same fertilizers there that i have here. let me get mine and get back with you. i'll give you the numbers on mine and you can compare.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6914019

this thread slipped my mind and i wanted to give you the fertilizer info you asked for.
i use sunniland professional nursery fertilizer and i doubt you can get that outside of florida but basically what you need to look for is this:

major nutrients which all general fertilizers have unless it is made for a specific plant (like a lawn)
N nitrogen
P phosphorus
K potassium

secondary nutrients
Ca calcium
Mg magnesium
S sulfur

Minor nutrients
Zn zinc
Fe iron
Mn manganese
Cu copper
B boron
Mo molybdenum
Cl chlorine

every one of these nutrients plays a part in plant health and development to varying degrees and whether you're going organic or chemical, can be found in many sources different sources.

some plants need very little of the secondary and minor nutrients and some require much more. that is where the research comes in.

on another subject, we discussed cutting down the flower stalk when it was finished. some cannas will only produce one flowering segment and then be finished (as evidenced by a seedpod forming) and others will form a seed pod but send up additional flowers on new segments. you will come to know the habit of your particular plant the longer you have it. sometimes you have to wait for the second and third flush on a canna. i posted a bloom from Cleopatra on july 20th and left the seedpod to form and did not cut the stem down.

now, on august 6th, here is a picture of the seedpod and a new bud developing next to it but farther up on the stem.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6914028

and here is a picture from a little distance to show another bud which has just opened.

my point is to not cut your stems/stalks down until you know for certain that no more flowers will form and that just takes experience with your individual cultivars.

edited to add that the new buds and flowers will always be a little higher than the original one. the bud to the very right and down lower on this picture is a bud from a totally new stalk.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 10:30 AM

Thumbnail by trackinsand

Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

August 6, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6914742

Awesome information, trackin! The sad part is my cannas haven't bloomed flower stalks in months. I've been cutting ratty-looking stalks for a while now, and am watching with anticipation as the new growth coming out of the ground makes its way skyward. It's growing slowly - still only 6" from the ground - but the leaves look good, and the sluggo-type pellets are working as I see empty shells all around the plant all the time. They really do a number on the cannas and it's sad to see all of those holes and ratty plants. I need to stop being lazy and start taking some pics.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6915225

how often do you water? is it possible that perhaps there is too much salt in your soil? i had the problem when i lived south. we were right on the ocean and between salt in the air and salt washing in from storms, it was very hard on certain plants. i kept my cannas in pots down there.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

August 6, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6915408

When we get good rain I don't water them, obviously. Between rains, when we get dry periods, I never let them go longer than a couple days without a good soaking. We've been rain-less for almost 2-weeks now, and I've been watering them every 1-2 days. Wellington is pretty far inland. I don't think our salt levels are that high. I used to live in Palm Beach Gardens right next to the ocean. I think I would've had more problems there. Where did you live, trackin?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6915440

we lived in Tavernier, in the Keys.

your cannas need a bloom boost! they really should be blooming like mad right now. i have friends in PBG. they have horses so they aren't right at the ocean.
Mincey1
Loris, SC
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2009
10:48 AM

Post #6917744

About cannans, I have a ? of my own . A friend gave me a few roots, the first year they were so pretty , but they grew so tall I move them to a back ground area. They have not done any thing sence. the ones that come back will develope.a worme that make the leaves roll up and never do any thing . I have poisned
the plant but I cant`t get rid of. It has about destroyed them and the ones that come back never amount to any thing. Any help or advice would be app
reciated .

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6917950

if you read further up in this thread, i think we talked about the canna leaf roller. it can be totally controlled with Bt or (brand names) Thuricide or Dipel. when you spray or dust it on your cannas, it only kills the rollers, nothing else. it is considered organic and basically harmless to people and pets.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 7, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6917971

I use a systemic in the ground ,. D
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

August 7, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6918214

I lived in eastern PBG, almost considered North Palm Beach - we were on the intracoastal which borders the two. I moved about 25 miles SW to Wellington. Western PBG is where I saw most of the horses when I lived there.
Speaking of bloom boost - do you recommend anything I can use to supplement the blooming? I haven't really gotten around to fertilizing them, but hope to do so this weekend. Thanks.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6918272

aha, the truth comes out. you don't need a bloom boost, just feed them. use a good granular fertilizer similar to what i posted above if you can find it. even a liquid like miracle gro is better than nothing.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

August 7, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6918302

Yeah, guilty as charged. I'll feed them this weekend and see what happens. The ones I chopped down are pushing up some very attractively-colored leaves and look healthy. A boost wouldn't hurt! I'm in a serious battle with these snails. I find dozens of empty shells around the cannas and hibiscus (the granular killer works well), but I'm still finding small holes in some of the leaves. They won't even give the cannas a chance to grow back!!! I retreated and am hoping for the best, but the things multiply faster than they can eat the killer...

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6918404

you probably have access to some top-notch feed stores. i think i'd try to find some crushed oyster shells and put that around your vulnerable plants. sharp or builder's sand can work too (not beach sand) but the oyster shell is better. diatomaeous earth is the best but you have to put fresh down after every rain. it would cut down on the population though.
Mincey1
Loris, SC
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6924899

Thanks Trackinsand, I did read about thuricidein in a previous post. But I appreciate you replying to me. I had just about given up on my cannans ,But I`ll give them one more try. I`ll let you know how it truns out. mincey1
jgagan
Poway, CA

June 27, 2013
2:18 AM

Post #9575106

Not to brag but my cannas are amazing year round and I am lucky to have them in my garden.

My secret?

I keep the soil moist or never dry longer than a week, feed once a month and have apparently the only place in America where there are no harmful root snails you speak of. They are multiplying and I have no doubt they will take over the entire plot I have them in based off what you say about the plant. I have never had to cut them back - only pull the dead nearing winter.

My canna are somewhat seasonal where they are tall, have beautiful leaves and blossoms and have more and more flowers every year. Then in winter they die off and grow short stalks of leaves only. Which makes me wonder if I can't plant something amongst them to bloom at that time in the same area that won't jeopardize my cannas?????

I feed them with a local nursery's all purpose plant food made by gro-power 4-8-2.

Thumbnail by jgagan   Thumbnail by jgagan   Thumbnail by jgagan   Thumbnail by jgagan   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9579985

Howdy!!
AND WOW!!!
Lots of great info here!!
First time canna planter. I bought it at Lowes and it has 4 plants coming from it. It's yellow which I love!
I have seeds too that a kind and generous member sent to me,
I'm going to try the beer dish method for the snails since I have pets around.
Ill be checking back.
Thanks so much for being on Daves Garden!!
Carol =^.^=__?
Sailstheseas
Staten Island, NY
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9589937

Howdy! When I made my last message I should have said I have 8 Cannas coming out if this plant. I put the whole thing in the ground.
I have to dig it up come before frost.
When do I separate the pieces?
Thanks, Carol

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9590174

you can dig them out after the first frost. a frost or light freeze will knock them back to the ground but the tubers won't be dead. it's only when the ground actually freezes that they would die. just cut them to the ground and dig up the whole clump at once. you can separate them in your garage or just stick the whole clump in a pot and put in a dark place with no water until spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America