Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

I did not plant this

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Can you help me ID? The leaves remind me of brugmansia but I know it's not

Thumbnail by vossner
Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

looks like a flower. Don't know if this is the flower, or if it's getting ready to bloom

Thumbnail by vossner
Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

another view of flower thingy

Thumbnail by vossner
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Vossner. Is the stem a kind of brownish, reddish color, or maybe a purplish redish color?

Looks like what we call poke salad leaves. Get them on and off from bird s droppign the seeds after they eat the little berries. If then little balls on yoru flower turn black / purple that what I would figrue it is.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I agree with starlight - Phytolacca americana - American pokeweed.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Ya can eat it. I haven't it myself yet but folks do.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I googled it and it certainly looks like what I have. I will wait until the bloom open up a little bit more and compare. My stems are not purple though.

thanks for your help.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Purple stems may vary but the purple berries later are unmistakeable

Trenton, FL(Zone 8b)

Mockingbirds and thrashers love the berries

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Definitely pokeweed. Since I first posted, stems turned purple. I'm wondering if I should transplant and when? Doesn't really bother me where it is unless the seeds fall and it starts growing all over this bed, which i mostly roses.

I have uncultivated areas. Should I transplant there?

Should this plant even be considered invasive?

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

I let a few of these live in my garden because like acfrancis said, the birds will eat the berries (and not eat so many of my tomatoes.) However in the coming years, you will find more of these coming up, especially along fences where birds sit (especially where the mockingbirds like to watch for bugs.) Just pull up the ones you don't want when you are weeding. Pokeweeds can get very large and will come back from the root in the spring.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

thank you. I will keep that in mind.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

it is a bad weed get rid of it, it spread everywhere

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I pulled it yesterday, but took some pics first

Thumbnail by vossner
Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

another pic

Thumbnail by vossner
(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

so thats what that is.. reminds me of that elvis song Polk salad annie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzaVpgeHJg

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.