-
AuthorContent
amitray
Kolkata
India

July 8, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #6791932

I live in Kolkata, India. This flowering plant starts flowering only with the onset of monsoon rains. I will be very happy if anyone can provide me with its name. Thanks

Thumbnail by amitray
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6792581

Very nice - but I do not know its name. I will follow this thread hoping someone knows.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6793224

That is Globba schomburgkii, the Dancing Girl ginger. I have the pink/purple one, and there are hybrids out there as well.

Here's a link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2320/

LariAnn
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6793241

Interesting - the first thing I thought was 'some kind of ginger' but I had never seen that color.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 8, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6794789

Welcome amitray! I hope you join us often with pictures such as this. I agree with LariAnn...Dancing Girl. I often get my gingers mixed up...but this one is a stand-out. Do you find that the other gingers only flower at the onset of the rains? Mine do. I can barely keep them alive during the windy season, but the rains begin and my garden is filled with wonderful scents.

Yokwe,
Shari

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bignonia
Atenas
Costa Rica

July 9, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6795419

I ordered from a garden nearby Globba winterii. Maybe next week I will have good news, so I can go to get it.

Islandshari The first place where I saw a Globba was in Kwajalein. My neighboord Vicky Santucci had a specimen in her garden (yellow flowers). As I told you we were 472B. I guess some people in Kwajalein still have parts of the original plant that Vicky had in her place.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 9, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6795454

Actually, I think mine came from her original plant! What a small, wonderful world we live in. I remember discussions when I picked it up, and the folks were talking about a "Vicky"...That's one of the nice things about Kwaj...the plants manage to get passed around to someone who will love them, even when the original owner leaves the island. My friend Bruce Sherrill had a huge orchid growing in a garbage can and I see bits and pieces of orchids just like it everywhere...but the big one is no where to be found. It makes me feel good that his orchid is still here - giving joy to many other people through babies and cuttings.

Yokwe,
Shari
amitray
Kolkata
India

July 9, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6796455

Thank you, LariAnn and others for the ID and valuable comments. Regards
Amit

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America