Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hydrangeas: Blue Heaven Hydrangea in zone 5b, how do I winter protect?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 4, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6792911

I just planted a Forever and ever series "Blue Heaven" hydrangea from Lowes. How will I need to protect in winter? Also, do I really NEED to add lime or surphates to change the color? Or is that just optional? I am in NE Ohio zone 5b.

Thankyou,
kentstar
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6793367

You don't necessarily need to protect it--it'll bloom on old & new wood, so even if you don't protect it you should still get some blooms on new wood. But if you want the old wood blooms too, then I'd build a cage around it and fill it up with leaves for the winter (there are probably other methods too, but that's one I've seen a lot of people do). As far as lime or sulfur, you would only use those if you want to change the color, otherwise they're not needed. If you have acidic soil the blooms will be blue and if you want it to be pink you'll have to add lime. If you have alkaline soil, then your blooms will be pink and you'd have to add sulfur or something else to lower the pH if you want them to be blue. But if you like them the color they naturally are in your soil then you don't need to try and change things.
kentstar
Ravenna, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6793404

Thanks ecrane3! The leaves must be chopped up right? I would think they would smother the plant? I do want them blue so I'll have to see what happens. My soil is already neutral to slightly acidic now about 6.5 to 7.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6795784

I have forever and ever blue heaven and red sensation. This will be their first winter but have other hydrangea I winter protect. Last year I used burlap tubes and filled them with straw. This year I am going to use chicken wire covered with burlap and stuffed with straw. Just a hint tie twine around the stems and bring them together (don't force them) so when you cover it you have less chance of breaking any.

With all the rain we have had this year my hydrangea are amazing and taking over the place.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6795984

Chicken wire and bubble wrap works and saves all that stuffing with straw., but then our winter temps are not as cold as yours, two layers could work though

pajonica

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America