Bluegills

Lakeland, FL

Here's a mess of bluegills my son and I got last year at Tenoroc..
{ -:

Thumbnail by Chuck7
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Now that is a lot of bluegill. What did you do with all of them, freeze?

Northern, IN(Zone 5b)

haighr,

Chuck has a recipe for deep frying panfish that works. I got it from the "Pork" thread, tried it and it's great.

I don't know if he freezes them but I do putting meal sized portions in ziplock bags after I take them from my FryDaddy deep fryer and flip them in the freezer.

Makes for quick (3 minutes in the microwave to thaw and heat) and tasty finger food for lunch or dinner. Hmmm....I haven't tried them for breakfast (yet).

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds great, could you share the recipe. We have a cabin in the mountains with a creek and pond and catch many a blue gills. We have pan fried them with butter and spices but sounds better to fry them with a batter in a deep fryer and have them ready in the freezer.

Northern, IN(Zone 5b)

Here you go...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1009943/

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Fish, looks like you two had a great day!

Northern, IN(Zone 5b)

Here's the "FryDaddy" that I mentioned above. I consider it a must have in my kitchen

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-05420-FryDaddy-Electric-Fryer/dp/B00005KB37

Lakeland, FL

Thanks Guys,
I don 't check this forum much because it 's usally not very busy..Sorry for not getting back sooner..
The gills are great..I got 29 more last week..I stopped there because my fish basket was full.LOL

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to add it to my keepers. You remind me that I used to have one of those fry daddy's many years ago. I wonder what I did with it?

Lakeland, FL

Hello Haighr,
I was born and raised in Elkton,Maryland..
Small world..

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes it is, nice to make your acquaintance.
Then you may be familiar with western MD out through the gap - We have a cabin up there that borders Sideling Creek and it has a pond just off the front porch full of sunny's. They stock the creek every year with trout as well.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 10:14 AM

Lakeland, FL

Sunnys..LOL I haven't heard them called Sunnies since I was in Maryland years ago.I was only out in western Maryland once.It's beautiful I was raised along the eastern shore,,,,love those blue crabs. { -:

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We have a daughter just outside Ocean City! You know what we eat when we go down there lol

Northern, IN(Zone 5b)

OK you guys...

I'll be waiting for your recipe(s) for crab cakes.

Lakeland, FL

My wife simply uses the recipe for crab cakes that is on the back of the Old Bay can..They turn our very good. Just remember when frying to let them get a good deep brown..

Take and squeeze a little lemon juice on them..yes sir..{ -;

Northern, IN(Zone 5b)

haighr,

Recently, there was a crab cake bake off in Baltimore and interest in it was so great that it was telecast by a local station.

I'm wondering if your daughter saw it or could otherwise provide some "local knowledge" on how to improve on this tried and true Old Bay recipe?

Just curious.

Lakeland, FL

Same recipe we use..except we put in extra Old Bay...{ -:

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well we are going down there on Thursday for the weekend, I'll see if I can get any tips!

Northeast, MI(Zone 5a)

That IS a mess of blues!! lol !! I love catching a good stringer full of Blue's, Pumpkinseed or Rockbass, or a combination. I then steam em' in foil by a campfire until lightly done.

.......................................................................... "CAMPFIRE CHOWDER"................................................................................

Let 'em cool some, then strip off the meat and reserve. To a soup pot, add a stick of butter, a can or two (depending on how much fish) of "condensed cream of mushroom soup", an equal amount of water, two to four stalk's of chopped celery, a small chopped onion, a shredded or thinly sliced carrot or two, two to four small to medium cubed potatoes, a little salt and a whole lotta black pepper.

Bring to a light boil over campfire, then back it of the fire a bit and let 'er simmer. Add your reserved fish meat to the pot when potatoes are about done, adding a little water if needed. Simmer a few minutes on a low fire, 'till the woods are a smelling like a gourmet restaurant. Take off the fire, let cool down a bit and salt to taste before digging in to the best "Fish Chowder" you've ever had!! If the woods were a gourmet restaurant, this chowder would go for $20.00 a cup!! lol !! :o)

Thumbnail by Dryspirit
Northeast, MI(Zone 5a)

The more, the merrier !!!

Thumbnail by Dryspirit
Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Looking at these makes me ready for the spring. just got a two man boat, can't wait ti try it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.