Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: papaya trees

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 93, Views: 977
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

July 8, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6794471

Because papaya trees grow on my island (Kauai) like weeds i never thought twice about the intricacies of growing them. . When i started growing my own papaya trees, I found out that some are male, some are female and some are hermaphrodite. From what i have read it appears that much of the sex issues of papayas trees depends on the variety.

I planted 3 beautiful strawberry papaya trees in my back yard. Two are loaded with fruit. I presume they are hermaphrodites. The third tree is a female. There is no male tree around to fertilize it. (question 1) Do i pull it?

There is a Solo papaya tree ( a volunteer/weed...obviously a different variety of fruit) relatively close to the 2 strawberry papaya trees. (question 2.) Do i eliminate it to keep the strawberry variety pure?

I have another Papaya tree of an unknown verity that is separated from the others. This tree makes magnificent 5 pound pink fleshed fruit. It is an older tree that got quite tall. In Hawaii older papaya trees are cut in half and a can is put on the trunk to keep stagnant water out of the hollow trunk to prevent rot. The tree then sprouts arms, usually 2 or 3, which then produces fruit. This is all in process and it seems to be fine. (question 3) The tree has many sprouts that are developing into arms (maybe 10). Do i pinch off the extra arms off and leave 2 or 3?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6794745

I'm not sure about the question on the strawberry Papaya.

Re the branching, I pinch all but 1 or two branches off..and then it seems like it still tries to grow extra ones. This one originally had about 4, but I took the two other ones off..seems like it works pretty good.

I have some good friends who live in Kekaha.

Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Click the image for an enlarged view.

d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

July 8, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6794957

Thank you so much for the info. Now i know what to do if i am faced with this again. I just went out out and pinched off all but 4 of the healthiest branches. From here I will watch to see which ones do the best and eliminate 1 or 2 more.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6795128

Sure, good luck!
I'm finding most of my trees these days hermaphrodite, even the ones a friend sent from Maui are turning out to be hermaphrodite.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 9, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6798452

If there are plenty of honeybees around the female may utilize pollen from the hermaphrodite, as the flowers do have anthers and transferable pollen.
Many folks in Puna worry that GMO Papayas (UH 'Rainbow') on nearby plantations will send pollen that will mess up their organic Papayas in their home gardens. They say that the unwanted pollen can travel over a mile.

If you are trying to raise pure strains of Papaya for seed, then you will need to keep the varieties distantly apart. If you are just trying to get fruit, there is no problem having them near each other.
If you cross the varieties, you might come up with some interesting mixes. The Strawberry is sweeter, but the yellow-orange flesh of the Solo Papaya contains more beta-carotene.

The large fruit sounds like a Watermelon Papaya, a favorite for making Papaya Salad!
Instead of trimming off branches, fertilize the plant and let it decide which branches it will keep. Watermelon Papaya trees can get huge!

Aloha, Dave
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6798551

do you have any picture of such papaya that is let go to decide?

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 9, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6798611

Sorry Randy, my Papayas died off when I was sick. I am just planting Papaya again. My Watermelon Papayas are still seeds!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 10, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6799533

I've found in growing papayas (called paw paw here) you can have male plants a number of kilometres away and females will get fertilized. It's probably due to the long range of the introduced European bees (Apis species) as opposed to our native bees (Trigona and Austroplebeia species) which only operate in the warmer parts of the day and over a much smaller area. GM papaya pollen can't be contained except in a sealed environment. It will be spread a long way.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 10, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6802927

What have they modified the GM for? What results did they want?

The world is being taken over by mad scientists!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 10, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6803315

The UH 'Rainbow' Papaya which is Big Agribusiness in Puna was genetically modified to resist Papaya Ringspot disease.
This resulted in a blander tasting Papaya with less nutrition, and it didn't stop the disease, they just selected out a more virulent strain of it.

What seems to resist disease the best are the natural heirloom species.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6803909

Tropicbreeze, that is interesting about papayas being called Paw Paws in Australia. In the US we have a tree commonly called Paw Paw and it does have fruit that resembles papayas but it is a completely different species.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/asim_tri.cfm

Now that I have tried papaya salad I love it and I'll be on the lookout for green ones. Randy, do you have a variety that ripens early enough for our climate? The NOID one I grew obviously needed a mate because it bloomed regularly but I never got fruit. It lived outdoors here for 2 years then bit the dust this past, unusually cold, winter.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6804189

We called them Paw Paws in Africa too.

The variety I have is presumably grown in Mexico or S. Texas as I bought the original from the grocery store. Depending on the winter, depends on when the fruit ripens. Normal winter/summer...the Papayas will ripen over winter and early spring. Warm winters like last winter they ripen all year long. I just ate a couple last week, although these had no seeds in them. Because of our unpredictable winters, I grow them like anuals, and always have a couple of 3 year old trees in pots that over winter in the green house to replace those that may have perished during the winter. The 3 year old tree's virtually leap out of the ground once planted and are producing in a couple of months. Matter of fact I need to re-pot this years seedlings.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6804606

Wild Papayas here run the gamut from bitter to very tasty and sweet. Small thin rind, fruits, tho' Just a couple of bites.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 12, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6809102

We have wild papaya here as well, I've never tried one. They are important for many birds, iguanas, monkeys though. The fruit is about the size of a plum.
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

July 13, 2009
7:46 AM

Post #6813004

We have many types of papayas here. Some can get quite huge, depending on the variety up to 10 to 20 pounds (AM.). We eat the raw green papayas in salads and cook green papayas in soups. We eat ripe papayas in as many ways as one can do with fruit.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6815096

Yeah, that's how I started drying the seeds, is using the papaya in an W. African Palm soup dish my brother & I learned to make growing up there...Talk about big Papayas! They are as big as watermelons there.
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

July 13, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6815858

Anyone who was born and raised in Hawaii has eaten this soup. This is considered comfort food in many Hawaiian families.

Chicken Soup with Green Papaya

2 1/2 lb chicken pieces
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
3 tablespoons salad oil
6 or so slices of fresh ginger root..(it is not chicken papaya soup without the ginger)
1 onion, sliced
2 cans (14 1/2 oz size) chicken broth
2 cups water
1 large green papaya, pared and seeded

Instructions
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large saucepot, heat oil and brown chicken with ginger slices. Add onion; cook until onion is transparent. Add broth and water. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Pare papaya and cut into 2 x 2 1/2-inch pieces. Add papaya to soup and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until papaya is tender. (The ginger is strictly for flavoring it is not eaten) Makes 6 servings.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6815982

Yes, we put it in our chicken soup too. Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to that...tastey
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6815994

this is my recipe..
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/7947/
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6816563

Booo, can't I eat the ginger?

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 14, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6816579

Which ginger?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6816728

In d_thomcat's soup, see the bottom of the recipe, above. Hm, I'm gonna eat the ginger!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 14, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6816938

I agree! I would grate the ginger in, and eat it all.
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

July 14, 2009
7:30 AM

Post #6817247

Yes some people do grate the ginger and eat it.

We usually just slice it and take it out of the soup, something like how you use a bay leaf. But yes it can be eaten if you like. Its just a matter of style.

By the way, that recipe originated in the Philippines.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 14, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6817939

I knew some Texans. Chili pepper could never be too spicy hot for that bunch. One of the wives found some candied/chrystalized Ginger. Ha, those big tough guys couldn't even eat the littlest sliver! You should have heard them holler, it wa sooo funny!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

July 14, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6818471

In south africa we call pawpaws the more rounded fruit, while papaya is the longer fruit, including the red type.
Papaya/pawpaw seeds can be ground and taken as medicine to expel worms. i also heard that you can drink papaya leaves' tea to prevent malaria, but i proved it wrong. i drank it several months in which i got malaria twice.
westraad
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 14, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6819924

Tea made from papaya leaves is supposed to be good for cancer. Although I had a close friend who had breast cancer that I grew a lot of papaya for. But she died anyway. Don't know if it was because the cancer was too advanced, or that it just doesn't work. That's the thing with these sorts of remedies, whether they work or not you don't know what part the "remedy" played in it.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 14, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6819983

Papaya leaves, sap, seeds, and unripe fruit contain papain enzymes which digest proteins.
They can be used to treat spider bites and jellyfish stings, help heal wounds, expel intestinal worms, and correct digestive disorders.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 15, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6821742

We have an ointment here of course called Paw Paw Ointment which is commonly used on sores. A lot of people will have it in their first aid kits.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6822497

Aloha - welcome Westraad!

I believe that the unripe fruit is used here as birth control - not quite sure how though - the mind boggles!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6823741

hmmm..I wouldn't mind trying the pawpaw ointment...mabe I'll smear some seeds..lol
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 16, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6824603

I think the ointment is made from the fermented fruit.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 17, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6828935

Here in the Marshalls, papaya is called Keinabbu, and it is used as a medicinal plant as well as a food. Depending on the concoction, the leaves are used to treat high blood pressure, kidney infection, arthritis, stomach and intenstinal problems, and the fruit is used to treat fungus and ringworm. I find it so interesting that the healers in all these various places have understood the beneficial aspects of this fruit long before botanists and other scientists. I have an incredible respect for the knowledge of traditional healers.

Yokwe,
Shari

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 17, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6829112

The birth control thing is supposed to be made from the seeds; the unripe fruit is split in half and placed on jellyfish stings and spider bites.

Papaya ointment that I'm familiar with is an alcoholic extraction of the leaves. It doesn't make sense to ferment the fruit, as the papain enzymes dissipate as the fruit ripens.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 17, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6829555

Maybe that was a story put out to throw people off the track of making their own. I find it much simpler to buy the ready made product.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6931005

We call them Paw Paw here in the Caribbean too!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6931033

My Paw Paw is the called the Mama Paw Paw, as it is the mother of all my others.
I just took this one today

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

ToucanOasis
Tilaran
Costa Rica

August 13, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6941937

Thomcat. I made your soup last night.
Wicked good !
BUUUUUUUUUUUURP !

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6983794

I have got to make that soup as soon as I can get my hands on a green papaya, which is not common around here.

Jenny, I must side with you about that papaya birth control. The mind races with possibilities. Enough said.

In Canada, papayas are too expensive to bother with them. This is a fruit I discovered when we moved to Florida. There is a sense of luxury every time I dice up a nice big juicy papaya and cover it in lime juice about 1 hour before dinner. Lime is also very expensive in Canada. What can I tell you, we are a polar country. Go ahead, ask me anything about snow!

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6983838

Does it really fall from the sky!??
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6984080

in the Philippines, we do not fry the chicken. the chicken soup is achieve by boiling the chicken in water, using 2-3 slices of quarter size ginger, 1 med. onion quartered. when chicken begin to boil, be sure to skim off any substance that come to surface. simmer between 30-45 mins.. depending on chicken's tenderness. once chicken is cooked or tender, add the green papaya to cook. personally i love to add tender pepper leaves [has the texture and taste of spinach] on this dish. be sure to season accdg to taste before serving. i do not season with salt, when we eat this dish we serve with fish sauce on the side for flavor.

both the onions and gingers are also eaten too. nothing is wasted in the orient. it is not a rule but solely dependent on personal preferences. i love eating both raw and cooked ginger, since my grandma told me the ginger fibers "sweeps and clean" our internal organs.

hope i simplified this recipe.
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

August 24, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6984375

To :ToucanOasis

I am so glad you liked it. Yes it is good.
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

August 24, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6984516

PAPAYA SALSA

dice
one slightly under ripe papaya
one ripe but not to soft papaya (it depends on how you like it)

chop one onion

chop two or three garlic cloves

add lime juice and a little lime zest

a couple of tsps of vinegar (to taste)

salt

a handful of cilantro leaves chopped

chopped hot pepper or some Sarachi Hot Sauce

mix it together in a bowl
adjust the flavor how you like it...

eat as a relish or a salsa
I like to put it on sandwiches as a relish
or add to different foods that require salsa

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6984902

mmmm...we use to make this in Africa...with the habenero pepper..soo good..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6984907

I have some friends that live in Kekaha!
ochredreams
Wonga Beach
Australia

August 27, 2009
9:37 AM

Post #6993321

Going back earlier regarding chopping off the papaya leaves (called pawpaw in Australia too) I found the more leaves you chop off the taller it grows. If you put the papaya in a very sunny position it should only grow about 4meters maximum. Mine are in full sun, about 2-3meters tall, with a truckload off pawpaws on them and the leaves also help hide the fruit from the birds.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

August 27, 2009
9:44 AM

Post #6993330

If you give them a potassium luxurious environment, they will get more flavor, and sweeter!
White wood ashes are excellent as a supplement.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6993889

I find the same, I take off all of the lower leaves and the tree grows very tall.
If only I can find white wood ashes..my Manini need some, I wonder then if I fertilize it with my high potasium Hibiscus fertilizer will work. The Papayas simply freak out over it.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

September 1, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7013189

Sylvain, did you find green papaya local yet? I think I saw them at Flamingo gardens out west of the saw grass mall Jim
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7047436

I want to try to grow a papaya. I don't like the fruit, I just want to grow the plant. Will they survive winter here? It does freeze a couple of times a year.
Fireflywoods
Huffman, TX

September 12, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7056046

I live north and east of you in Huffman. Both of my papayas lived through last winter but we had a makeshift greenhouse around them. Right now they are both appx. 7 ft tall and the girl has 20 papayas.
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7056215

Thanks, Fireflywoods, I think I might give them a try.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7058737

I have half a papaya (with the seeds) that has been sitting in the refrigerator for 5 or 6 days. I will put it in a pot with some soil, water it and stick it in the sun. If it works with compost heaps, maybe it will work that way. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Sylvain.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7063844

even if they do freeze, they can recover. If that happens, the tree is hollow, just plug up the hole when the top comes off - loosely...I use anything from wine cork to just stuffing paper towels or a rag. that keeps water from entering the tree which usually finishes them off after the frost damage.
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7063889

Thanks, I think I will try them.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7064186

It if helps, I wrote a papaya 101 in my journal
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/1993/
scroll down to
PAPAYA 101 START HERE

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 4:48 PM
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #7064306

Oh thank you, that's just what I needed. Thanks!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7064318

If you have any issues, I'll be happy to bring you a couple of tree's I started - they are still kind of small. My friend Kristi lives there in Sugar Land and she comes shopping in the Heights all the time, I can send it back with her or we can rendez-vous some where.
But it is fun growing them yourself!
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7064352

Hey thanks! You're the best. I've already got the papaya so we'll try that, hey?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7064945

good deal! have fun!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #7066233

One of the major uses for Papayas in the US is as a meat tenderizer. The papain enzyme breaks down the muscle and makes even tough cuts of meat more edible. Friends from Jamaica said it was used to tenderize older goat meat.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 15, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7067416

In south Africa they also sometimes use it as a meat tenderiser, i think its the seeds they use.
Isaac

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7067928

That sounds right Isaac, you can buy it pre-packaged as a powder here. Have seen articles that suggest using the powder for bug bites and stings. They say just make a paste of it and apply.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 18, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7077937

I . but you can also use crushed seeds and sprinkle it over tough meat. my mom is wary checked my herb book, in SA we wrap the meat in the leaves and leave them overnightof trying anything new with herbs, but next time i cook i will try it!
i read an article that says the root, pounded and beaten and taken in hot water, is used to relieve kidney and bladder troubles.
i think i mentioned before that someone told us that you should drink pawpaw tea to prevent malaria, but its not true! i got malaria twice while drinking it. by the way, i have malaria at the moment, started this morning. i have been drinking prevention for 5 months everyday, but i got it anyway. can you believe it! its the sixth time i have malaria this year!
isaac

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7078062

Oh my... that must be horrible. Get better soon and keep in touch.

Sylvain.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7078164

Aw Isaac, I am so sorry you are ill again. I surely wish there were something I could do to help. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Jean/Moon
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

September 18, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7078519

Praying for you here also Issac, I can only imagine the stress your under, get well soon. Jim
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7079781

ah yes, Malaria..un-fun! The Dr. told me it stays with you for the rest of our lives. I've only had 2 re-recurrences though.
I'm sure you know the routine by now with keeping fluids!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7080921

Isaac, have you had the chloroquine followed by primaquine treatment for your illness? I was reading that the primaquine has been successful in killing the parasites that settle in the liver causing relapses. I do not know if it is available in Mozambique, but was amazed at the success rate. I found this link, I am sure you have most of this info already, but thought it might contain something useful for you.

http://www.anytestkits.com/malaria-symptoms.htm

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009 9:47 AM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7081169

we use to take it every week, that and I think dariprim. It definitely helps, but seems like you still get it anyway.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #7083184

So sorry you are feeling so poorly again Isaac - hope by now you are on the mend ^_^
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 21, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #7086762

Hi everyone,
thanks, i am on the mend. i will check out that link, Jean. i am a malaria prone, have had it over 20 times. i have tried all kinds of treatments, though i am very wary of prevention. a lot have more serious side effects than getting malaria. this bout was a light one, i am already back to school. it just left me tired and drained. i am drink a herbal supplement now, it should help me build up my health again!
i got to go, schoolwork calls!
Isaac

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #7086835

Good to hear you are feeling better. Take care of yourself Isaac.

Jean/Moon
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 21, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7086950

Here s my recipe of papaya soup;
i prefer chicken wings:

cut up chicken wings and saute in olive oil till brown., add med onion and cut up ginger , low sodium soy and fish sauce, pepper and saute for few minutes.add water and simmer till chicken is tender. Add cubed/sliced papaya and cook till done. Serve with rice

VARIATIONS;
Add pepper leaves if you like. they are very edible and are bought in asian markets

substitute papaya with chayote

Add chicken gizzards but takes longer to cook so cook it first before the wings

I cook this few times a month. Yum--yum Belle
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 23, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7096103

Hi Belle,
i presume green papaws?
Isaac
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 23, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7096320

I am not sure if papaws and papaya are the same. belle
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7096756

we call them paw paws in Africa
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 23, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7096772

Thank you!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7096821

sure, a little twist on things there sometimes...in Liberia we called termites
Bug a bugs
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 25, 2009
6:01 AM

Post #7102163

ok, what i was actually asking was if they should be green?
Isaac
davisjames
delhi
India

September 28, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #8127115

Papaya is known to cure some of the malaria symptoms
http://www.symptomsofmalaria.net
balaitalisai
Pasig City
Philippines

October 3, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8135680

Hi all!

Isaac, I trust you are ok now.

Speaking of papayas, there are several of this type of papaya, as shown in the picture, growing in an area which I wanted to clear for a construction project. Is this type of papaya the good, edible ones, worth saving or not? They weren't deliberately planted and, after the rains, they produced so much fruits.

Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

Thumbnail by balaitalisai

d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

October 4, 2010
2:07 AM

Post #8136119

They look eatable to me. They do not look like the super sweet ones but they are still eatable. I love the not so sweet ones on pancakes. I eat them all...sweet, not so sweet, green.

However, I personally would not stop a construction project for papayas. How about this, wait until they ripen, eat them then pitch the seeds in an area that is out of the way. Guarantee you will get new trees coming up.

[quote="balaitalisai"]Hi all!

Isaac, I trust you are ok now.

Speaking of papayas, there are several of this type of papaya, as shown in the picture, growing in an area which I wanted to clear for a construction project. Is this type of papaya the good, edible ones, worth saving or not? They weren't deliberately planted and, after the rains, they produced so much fruits.

Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks![/quote]

balaitalisai
Pasig City
Philippines

October 5, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8138923

Thanks, d-thomcat.

Waiting for the fruits to ripen is not an option...will try transplanting them ( 6 trees in all) in another area and hope that they survive till their fruits ripen ...then judge if they are good enough to eat. ...or maybe try belle's recipe.
rainsum
Houston, TX

September 4, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8793319

Hi,
I am new to this forum and my papaya plants have yellow leaves.The larger plant is 4 ft tall and about an year old with 2 4" green fruit on it and it was doing well,until 3 days back when the temperature dropped from 100's to the 80's.The other papaya plant bloomed but did not set fruit.They are together in a 12" pot and it looks rootbound.We water it often and fed it with super-phosphate fertilizer.I also have a T-Hovey Dwarf plant that also has yellow leaves and in a 8" pot.They both get a lot sun and water.Thanks for all your help.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8793406

Hi Rainsum. This is an old thread, almost a year old actually. You may want to post a brand new thread with your question to help ensure an answer. I don't know a lot about growing papayas, but lots of tropicals will react to a sudden temperature change. I am sure plants that size would prefer their own growing space...that is a lot of rootball for a roughly square foot of space.
rainsum
Houston, TX

September 4, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8793501

Thanks Themoonhowl,
I will do that
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8835027

Hey, hope u found your answer! I think it's most likely over watering especially with the drop in temp. Very susceptible to root rot. Better to err on the dry side with papayas in Houston.
Also, they love space city hibiscus fertilizer. My trees grew huge from that. Houston fertillizer is the only place I've found it
Rj
Plancton
zones 10 to 11
United States

December 6, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9351775

The 101 on Papayas:

Yes. Some are male, female, or hermaphrodites. You want the females as they bare much more fruit... lie that the males don't produce, but with those looong stems it tends to be more diff for the plant to hold them. Best are the females.

There are diff varieties and they crosspollinate and cross pollinate and also it changes the fruit, so try to have only one variety unless you want to start having and or creating your own personal one.

Some of them have a bigger percentage of female seeds (cultivars) as they been trained for that (usually the smaller varieties, a couple only having like only 20% males)

If you cut them-
Try to do a 45 degree cut and try to cover it so it doesn't take water till it creates a nice callus. If you are going to take out some branches, which you don't need to do, try to leave space in between them and then going on opposite directions, so that the weight would be distributed equally and it wont fall to a side.

Usually commercially they use a tree for only 2 years and then change it, and they only go for females as they will produce more. I do cut mine... have had 1 tree giving more than 80 papayas at 1 time. I also have I which produces a big fruit at only 4 feet tall...right now that 1 has like 11 and it's only 4 feet tall.

Anyways, most times big papaya fruits are not as tasty as a small, red 1. I'm trying to see what I get (quality wise) from the best of both atm... but seeds wont be true to the plant :p

Hope my 2 secs helped a bit
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9357889

Got recurring malaria in Mombasa (Lorenco Marques) more then 40 yrs back. No PawPaw, Papaya or Papitta can save a person from the pleasures of it.
Regards,
Masud.
Coleoptera
Cape Town
South Africa

October 19, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9689357

Hey! One of my Papaya trees started dying and I cut it down a bit and found that the entire hollow centre was filled to the top with really bad stinking water.

What can I do to save it ?

Thumbnail by Coleoptera

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 19, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9689564

You are right this thread is old and my recipe calls for green papayas.
Belle
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 19, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9689824

Coleoptera, you're better off just starting with new seeds, Paw Paws grow fast and fruit fairly quickly. You can struggle with the old one but it probably won't do much good.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9691223

I agree with Tropicbreeze

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America