Photo by Melody

DG Journals and Diaries: I want to DELETE my WHOLE darn Journal! Help!

Communities > Forums > DG Journals and Diaries
bookmark
Forum: DG Journals and DiariesReplies: 11, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6794615

There must be a simpler way than going through each item and clicking on 'delete', then clicking on 'yes, I want to delete' and then going on and on through every entry in the whole Journal, right?? It's making me crazy!

All the plants in my journal are dead now and it makes me depressed to look at it!

Must clear it out and start anew now that I know a little bit about what I'm doing in the garden!

Thanks ever so much! tab

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6794709

I think if you use the "contact us" link to contact the admins they might be able to reset everything for you, unfortunately the only way you can delete a journal is if you get rid of all the items in it first. Make sure you really want to do it though, once it's gone you can't get it back! I keep the dead plants around in my journal--partly it's a reminder of what I've tried that didn't work, but also sometimes there are things that I really liked and want to try again and that way I can remember what they were. You can always leave that journal there and start a new one for this year's garden--that way you get your fresh start but the old stuff is still there in a separate journal if you ever want to refer back to it.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6794800

Thanks, ecrane, I will contact admin and ask. I was trying to do a 'mass action' on my default journal, but couldn't figure out how to delete more than one item at a time. Do you know?

I know how you might like to have a record of your past garden plants, but my list makes me cringe to think that I killed so many of them!

Maybe I should take up golf!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6795257

As far as I know there's no way to delete more than one thing at a time--sorry!
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6825732

I think you can set up a new dummy journal that I call "To Delete Journal" and then you do a mass move of of the ones you wish to delete in your Default Journal by going down through the Default Journal and ticking off the box to the left of the "Rid number" of the ones you wish to mass delete and then go down to "change a category" and then choose to send all these ticked off entries to the dummy "To Delete Journal". Then go to "manage Journals" and delete whole new journal. I did this and it worked fine. Plus it gives you a second chance to rethink the deletion. Patti
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6826165

Are you sure the items actually got moved to that journal before you deleted it? When I go to the screen for deleting journals, it tells me that none of my journals can be deleted because they still have items in them--the whole trouble here is that you need to delete everything from the journal before you can delete the journal. If you could delete entire journals the way you just described then tabasco would have been able to delete the unwanted journal. (just on the off chance there was something special about naming a journal the way you did, I tried it as a test just now, I created a journal with the name "To Delete Journal" and put one item in it, and just like my other journals it shows up as not being able to be deleted until I delete the item in it)
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6827162

I think you must be right, as I did this a long time ago and I must have then found out that I had to delete them from that delete journal, one by one as I can't do it now either. Sorry, bum steer. Another change needed for the journal update. Patti
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6827809

I don't know how long ago you did it, but I wonder if you used to be able to delete journals with stuff in them, and then too many people accidentally deleted journals that they didn't want to delete so then things were changed? Ever since I've had my journal (2004) you've had to delete all the items first, but if this was before that then maybe things were different.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6914404

We can give you a 'do over'...delete the whole thing if you want. Just make sure that you save anything you wish to keep before hand, once we delete it it is gone forever.

Let us know when and if you are ready.
ksongbird
Stone Mountain, GA

February 27, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8395474

Hi I also need help wioth one of my journals. It is saying that there is nothing in it and I want to delete it but it will not allow me to. Please hwlp me with this. I am a neat freak and I can't stand to have these journals unorganized. It's title default journal. Could this be why it wont allow me to delete it. Let me know your thoughts please so I can move on!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8395777

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can delete the default journal. You can delete other ones that you've created once you delete all the items out of them, but I'm pretty sure you can't delete the default one.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8397325

I can reset your whole journal and give you a clean slate, but it will wipe out the whole area. If you want to save parts of it, copy it to your files on your computer. Once you have everything saved that you want, just Dmail me and I'll wave my magic wand and you can start fresh. (admin has the only reset button, so it has to be done by us)

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 175 Sep 25, 2013 4:26 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America