Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hoyas: Root bound Hoyas

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 14, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

July 8, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6794855

I know that H. carnosa likes to be root bound. Is this true for all Hoyas? When I started collecting cuttings I put them all in nice little 4" hanging pots. This was a few years ago and they're growing nicely. Just wondering if they can stay in those cute little 4" hanging pots for years and years and years like my carnosa...? I guess this might fall under the "can we keep them happy by just misting" dilemma...
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6794965

I keep mine in the same pots until I see roots growing out the bottom ... then I figure they are ready for a new home.

I think I remember Carol or someone posting awhile back about a couple of hoyas that like more room ... one might have been Imperialis?
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6795668

My rule of thumb has always been to not transplant until late winter the year after the first time they've bloomed. Well, that's what I tell myself, and then I see roots coming out the bottom and panic and transplant it...lol. Quite often though, I'll just cut the roots back an inch or so and plop it back into the same pot with fresh potting medium.

I think you're right about imperialis Lin; probably why mine died... Multiflora/javanica too maybe; I've got mine in a much larger pot and its really happy.

Christine
lowellsf
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6796384

Christine, Have you had to pot up any of the hoyas you're growing in hydroton? I rooted my Aloha Hoya cuttings in 8 or 10 oz cups, but the larger plants got so top heavy that I moved them up to a 1-litre bottle with the top cut off. I wanted the larger size to give more width and depth (also with a deeper reservoir), since I'm hoping these plants can spend the summer outside and I don't want them to dry out. The hoyas I've already moved outside are growing like crazy despite many triple-digit degree days and I hope the semi-hydro ones do as well.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks. Sarah
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 9, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6796483

Some other hoyas like 'leg/foot room'...albiflora, aff albiflora, magnifica, and, yes, imperialis. Calycina probably too. They seem to like to expand. The others I always keep tight until the roots are so thick that the water doesn't seep thru the pot...and even after watering, the inside of the pot is dry... This is easy to find out by tipping the plant out of the pot (this does NOT hurt the plant at all...how many times do you think a Tropical Storm has blown through and ripped the roots up only to replace them someplace else..or back in the same place!!!

Just a thought to pass on: I have been thinking about many of my plants where the roots are growing out of the pot and around and around the bottom and the plant is growing beautifully. Then I come along and repot everyone, new dirt, bigger pot and ...whoa, the plant seems to stagger for a while.

DUH...the original plant has adjusted to its' new way of living and is quite happy!!! I won't report anymore...just add more dirt!

Carol
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6797027

I have Sarah. I got a cutting of magnifica last October and potted it in hydroton in a 10 oz cup, and by February it was so heavily rooted, that I had to move it up to a 16 oz cup. It is rather top-heavy even with its light-weight spiral trellis, but the outer vase/pot use is rather heavy. Growing-wise, it just said 'hey, thanks!' and shot out another vine.

I see from Carol's post that what I did was right for that one. I've always maintained that some hoyas communicate with me - they tell me when to water (linearis will droop), when to transplant (help, my roots are choking me!).

That said, I'm not so sure I'm going to keep magnifica in SH forever; eventually I'll move it to my potting medium so that I can cut back its roots instead of potting it up every four to six months. My house is only so big...lol

Christine
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6797598

I forgot about H. magnifica being one that likes lots of room. I got a cutting of magnifica in the DL co-op last year (Spring 2008) and it's doing very well, I might tip it out of it's pot to see what the roots look like. It wasn't too long ago that I repotted it but I can't remember exactly when it was, if it was last fall or early this year. I'm hoping next year to see blooms on this one!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lowellsf
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6797869

Lin, that's a very attractive plant, and lovely background! I think I may have to put that on my wish list...the plant, not the pool. ^_^
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6798065

Yes, I agree, its a very lovely plant Lin. Beautiful, lush growth on it. But you Floridians and your pools ... you just gotta make it look spectacular don'tcha? LOL!!

Christine
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6798305

LOL, I am the worst, worst, worst photographer ... I can take 50 pictures and not have one come out clear! I am just so technically challenged when it comes to settings etc on the camera or with any electronics for that matter! I have problems with lighting when I take pictures so now I sit the plants on a table next to the pool in the sunlight and they seem to show up better.

Aaah ... THAT POOL! I can't remember the last time someone actually went swimming in it! We've talked about removing it many times but haven't done it. I love sitting out there and drinking my coffee in the morning when the weather is cool, which unfortunately is very rare! I know if the pool were gone our electric bill would be a lot less, since the pump runs 7-8 hours a day! Many years ago my mom loved coming to visit and going swimming and the nieces and nephews and friends kids loved it but everybody is grown or gone now.

The pool did come in very handy during the 2004 Hurricanes! We had Hurricane's Charley, Frances and Jeanne hit us in a 6 week period! We had a lot of tree damage with many trees down during Charley but were very lucky we had no damage to the house and no flooding etc during any of the storms! During Charley we lost power for a week which was no fun ... hot, humid summer weather and no electricity! We had a small generator that my BIL gave us that we used for powering our 150 gal aquarium, to keep the fish alive. After Charley my husband bought a much larger, more powerful generator ... we haven't had to use it yet, LOL.

We are in an unincorporated area of the county and just got city water hook up two years ago, but have a septic system. When we were without power after the one storm, we used buckets of water from the pool to flush the toilets. We lived in our bathing suits for a week, bathed in the pool. My husband took pictures of me sitting on the edge of the pool steps shaving my legs, LOL. Hurricane season is no fun! We were so fortunate to not have any damage to our home. Many lose everything in those awful storms. The SW coast of Florida had major, major damage from Charley.

Ok ... I just realized I'm gabbing away again, thought I was on the regular hoya bloom thread! Apologies Lee Anne for hijacking your thread!

This is Hoya memoria from the Spring 2008 order ... it rooted quickly but is a very slooow grower.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6798482

Nice, and I agree slow to take off growing, but once memoria gets going, its a thick mass of leaves and really lovely.

Sorry again LeeAnn, we can't help ourselves!!

C.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

July 9, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6798493

No problem, I'm enjoying the conversations ^_^
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #6805461

Christine ~ do you find when you move a Hoya from hydroton to your potting medium the roots are not as sturdy and suffer a setback in growth?
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6807789

I've actually never moved an established plant from hydroton to my potting medium yet, but I've done it the other way twice. The first time was with kanyakumariana, and it did stop growing for several months. The second time was with magnifica, and it didn't have any effect on its growing.

I've taken rooted cuttings from hydroton to potting medium because I was giving them to a co-worker (in May), and have received reports from her that they've all sprouted new growth. (She's one of those orchid people who are trying to convert me...ha! My house isn't big enough for two addictions! Sorry, I digress...)

Since I've started using hydroton, I leave the hoyas in it from the time they root ... but that's only been about a year so I don't have any that have grown a whole lot yet.

But I've been watching magnifica closely and when roots start coming out the holes, I'm going to switch it over to potting medium, so I'll see then if it has any effect on its growing.

Christine
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6808017

Magnifica is one I have found REALLY like room around the feet.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America