Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Southrnbelle
Oxford, MS

July 9, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6796401

I would like to make a scrapbook for my daughter (she is 25) for Christmas. I have hundreds of photos, newspaper clippings, etc. that I would like to put together for her in a scrapbook but have no idea where to begin. Someone suggested Hobby Lobby as a place to buy supplies. I have never done scrapbooking before. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions that they would share?
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6797727

You might try a class at HL or Michaels. Or a local friend or acquaintance that scrapbooks. I bought a lot of stuff in the beginning (before I took a 2 hr class) that I didn't need. I took a class at a small independent SB store, but there aren't many of those any more.

You have to decide on an album size (8x8, 12x12, 8.5 x 11, etc) first. I use 12 x 12 because you can fit more pics on it and have more flexibility in arrangement. I like the kind with clear vinyl sleeves that the page slides into.

There are many choices in adhesives (important to use correct type, acid free, etc.) and you'll need a paper trimmer. They come in different sizes types too. I use a 12" by Fiskars that you slide a cutter down a channel. Easy to use.

One note: take to heart the advice to make copies of irreplaceable pictures before you use them in your SB, esp. if you crop (cut, trim) them. I did not do this on my first few pages which were my young years. Turns out I wish I had copied the pics before cutting them to work in my layout. In addition to copying pics, you can enlarge them or reduce them on a scanner at home or photo kiosks at Wal Mart, Target, etc. That works well for diplomas, certificates, newspaper clippings, etc. for 2 reasons: they are often too large to use well on a layout and are usually NOT acid-free (and that is a bad thing). But you can get sprays to de-acidify things too. I just copy them. You can even photocopy 3-D things like cap tassels or medals that are too thick to attach to the page.

There are lots of scrapbooking sites on the web, many with articles and videos showing techniques. And there are thousands of scrapbook pages shown on these websites that you can use for inspiration. Just Google scrapbooking and you'll be overwhelmed!!

Good luck.

P.S. If you don't get many replies to this thread, you might start one with a more descriptive title: maybe "Newbie needs help on first scrapbook." Sometimes people don't look at the generic "help" threads.
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6965368

Just saw this thread and maybe I am too late but...

Do you have an Archivers store near you? Not sure if they still do but they used to have what they called Scrapmania on a few Friday nights. You pay a small fee and bring your pictures etc that you want to scrap and can use all of their die cuts and punches etc for free. There are workers (and other scrappers who are there) at your disposal to help with suggestions and ideas. They normally demonstrate a few techniques through out the evening but mainly you do your own thing, with their stuff and their expert help. I did my first ever page at one of these and I was hooked!! LOL

Other scrapbook stores may offer the same type of thing, don't be afraid to ask around.

Southrnbelle
Oxford, MS

October 10, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7153351

Thanks SJ - I don't believe there is an Archivers store anywhere around here. I live in a very small town (not even a Walmart - lol). I finally started on the scrapbook and now I am hooked also!! Thanks for the tips from cedar also. This is so much fun.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #7154516

Good for you southernbelle. I haven't gotten back to it lately altho I did select a few pics from the 60s to work on next. It is a fun hobby - I like working with all the supplies!
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7154600

Just in case you may be interested (I may start a thread just for this) :

http://www.rubberstampandscrapbookexpo.com/shows/show_schedule.php
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2009
6:14 AM

Post #7171011

There is a website that has galleries of scrapbook pages to give you ideas:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=586
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

October 15, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #7171244

I have some of my older stuff on there!! Haven't gone there in a long while lol user name (if you want to look up my stuff) is sjweld Same as here
Southrnbelle
Oxford, MS

December 24, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #7394859

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I have officially finished the scrapbook for my daughter - just in the nick of time too - lol. Merry Christmas to you all!
sjweld
Reedsburg, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 24, 2009
7:39 AM

Post #7395213

Glad you got it done in time! Merry Christmas to you too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America