Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plumerias: One from The Low Country of SC

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 22, Views: 256
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6796482

Cookstown sunset, this smells exactly like peaches. Too bad these are such a pain for me to grow.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #6796722

Gorgeous!!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 9, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6798883

very nice your going to get alot of flowers too!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6804745

What a beautiful bloom. Was that a complaint I heard??
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6805012

Sorry but it was a complaint. I'm sure many others would like to have my problem, lol. My problem is I can't over winter plumerias in the ground where I am and they grow so big and fast for me I have a hard time finding a warm place for it. Also a water hog in a pot. It has a few other interesting but annoying traits as well. Have to say the bugs don't seem to like it.

Have a bad relationship with brugs as well. LOL. I'm going to be the old guy with a garden tour yard but seems to not enjoy it. I do enjoy it or I wouldn't be growing this stuff would I?

Next year I'm going after Ae-Ae bannanas. Wish me luck.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6805036

LOL, grumpy tonight aren't we?????

I just found a place that advertises the Ae Ae for only $180.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6805803

Core---We have ours in a pot as well. When the temps start to drop really low, we just stick ours in the garage. We don't water it all winter--which admittedly is quite short here in Austin--then come spring, when the night time temps are high enough, we bring it out of the garage, flood it with water, and voila, gorgeous plant!

This one has been blooming all spring and summer.

Thumbnail by morganc

CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #6808919

Here's the problem. From the pot out that is about 6 ft long. Started at 90 degrees straight up and it has slowly pointed right at where the sun rises and is now leaned over to about 45 degrees making the pot fall over a few days ago. Bricks were a short term solution to keep it from tipping over.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI

CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6808922

It's blooming well now and the other branches have flowers on the way.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #6809124

You're going to need a bigger pot.

Gorgeous flowers.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2009
10:47 AM

Post #6821552

I would say a much bigger pot, and I would plunge the put into the ground to keep it stable.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6821795

I have found that plunging pots means much less watering too.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6822603

Where could I find a big plastic pot? I have it in a something like a 15 gallon pot right now. I would need a big one.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6822622

The best place is landscape supplies but I have been fortunate to get them from landscapers when they are doing their work. If you have a larger nursery nearby they will probably sell you one if you ask nicely.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6822663

Beautiful plant CoreHHI. Question for everybody: If you look at Core's pic, you see he has 3 very tall branches which make his plant top heavy. what would be wrong if, at the beginning of spring, he cut the 3 branches at the joint? Wouldn't that make it a bushier tree? Plus he'd have branches for rooting for friends, to sell, etc. Or is this a crazy idea.

I agree Core needs a bigger pot, but wouldn't pruning help?
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6822777

Pruning would help, and what he could do is cut the three branches about 5 inches above the joint. That way they will all branch out, and he would have a bushier plant.
However, he won't have any blooms that year.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6823466

That's another problem. I would like to prune it to make it bushier but then I have a long time till it flowers again. I guess I could start a couple give one away then prune one every year so two are blooming each year, LOL to much planning involved there but that might be what I do. For me a smaller heavy branched tree would be better.

If I could find someone with a heated green house for the winter that might be an option.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6823549

Corehhi, do you have a garage? they do quite well wintered over in a garage. Being in zone 9a, you really just need to protect them from frost and the occassional short freeze.

I am on the line zones 8b and 9a. My plummies spent the winter outside under the eave of the house against a south facing wall. They are in pots and I just covered them with cloth for light frosts and cloth and plastic for the times a freeze was predicted. Of course, they lost their leaves, but they do that in places where they grow freely in the ground.

I use a patio umbrella over a stake in the ground between the pots and drape the umbrella with the cloth (old king size bed sheet from Salvation army) and a painter's plastic drop cloth. You can always add one of the metal clip on worklights with a 100 watt bulb clipped to the umbrella stand for extra heat.
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6823556

I have several plants that lean toward the sun. I keep them in pots and turn them 90 degrees every day to get them to grow evenly.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6825148

Have a garage but also have small children who have stuff in the garage, not a real safe environment for plants.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6826723

I also had leggy plumies so last fall I did some trimming, w/o being totally sure this was a good idea. It was not. Half of my cuttings rotted and it's a miracle and didn't kill the plant itself. Needs to be done in the Spring. I can't remember right now which plumie this is, but I hope the pics are useful to you.

Thumbnail by vossner

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6827273

Core, they go dormant in the winter, so they wouldn't need much room, just a corner somewhere they won't get frost bitten or freeze.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6865232

CoreHH, I completely understand your dilema. I had threaten to ditch mine if they don't bloom. I have one that my dad gave me and last year - no flower. Year before, had inflos in October and one night temp dropped low, I dragged it into the garage, then temp went back up so I dragged it back out and a few weeks later temp dropped again one night and completely burned the inflos. So I haven't seen flowers in 2 years. All that work and only flower once a year. I have mine in a large plastic container and it has gotten tall but I'm reluctant to cut it because dag gone it, I want to see flowers!!! It is so much to drag it in and out though. I know I will be in love with it again once it bloom and thank goodness it has inflos now or I might have to give it away.

Anyway, I've seen people take it out of the ground with roots and all and just store it standing up in a corner. I'll have to find one of the old thread that shows it. That is just too much work for me because I just hate digging.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America