Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Market Growers: Planting Turnip and Mustard seed

Communities > Forums > Market Growers
bookmark
Forum: Market GrowersReplies: 23, Views: 171
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VegLady
Woodville, TX

July 9, 2009
9:30 AM

Post #6796710

My Earthway planter does a poor job of planting these small seeds - way too close together, even with the plate marked for turnips. I can do a little better sowing by hand, but not much, and hand sowing several 100' foot rows is pretty hard on the ol' back!

It's never been that much of a problem with the cheap, open-pollinating seed we always used - we just thinned-out about 99% of the seedlings with a hoe. But now we want to use hybrids for turnip greens, and we're looking at seed that cost $50-$100 a pound - just too expensive to waste like that! I'm wondering if these seeds are available pelletized so the planter will work better?

II bought one of those little plungers that dispense a single seed at a time and tried it with a 3' piece of 1' PVC with a funnel taped to the top - hoped I could run the rows like that, but it was ridiculously slow trying to get a single seed or two out the plunger without dumping a whole pile of 'em. It would have taken all day to run a single row at that rate.

Anybody got a system for this? I suppose the big growers must use precision pto-driven planting machines that lay those turnip seeds down at an exact 2-4" - and they would just about have to use pelletized seed in them, I would think.

Jack

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America