Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Michigan Gardening: Fall Vegetable Crop Planting for Zone 5

Communities > Forums > Michigan Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Michigan GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6798708

I've haven't done any fall crop planting and was hoping some fellow Michiganders could give me some advice on when to plant and any other helpful tips.
I have some kale, swiss chard and lettuce seeds I want to plant for fall harvest.
Also was wondering if lettuce could be planted throughout the summer
in pots if you offer them some shade during the hottest part of the day.

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Patriotboy247
Jenison, MI
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6801530

I was just going to ask the same thing! I have never planted a fall crop before and would love to give it a try.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6801574

I've never planted a fall crop but I would think you could count back the days from the expected first frost and look on your seed packet for the days to maturity and how long to germinate. Having done that you'd get a fair idea of when to plant. The timeing would be different for different vegetables.

I grow a kitchen garden in an antique galvanized double washtub by the back door. It's on wheels Each side has the drain hole that I put a screen over and then filled with rich dirt,compost and worm castings. I planted one grape tomato in the center and a smalll clump of chilves. I then scattered seed for a lettuce mixture. The fancy kind you see in the stores. I then put in here and there small onion sets. It's really neat and looks cute too. It's handy having it by the back door and since it's off the ground I don't have to worry about any bunnies taking a bite of my lettuce.

You could do something simliar in some kind of container and if you get an early frost prediction you could either bring it indoors or easily cover it with something for the night.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6801851

I just planted beets and will plant carrots in a couple of weeks.

Paul
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6803404

I don't know when the first frost date is for Z5.
Anybody know?
So Paul, can one can start plnating seeds now?
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6803512

Cottage, here is a good site for frost dates.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/mi.html

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6803530

Root crops are ok to plant now.

Cool weather crops like lettuce and spinach will "bolt" during hot weather. I'll wait until late August to plant these.

Carrots and beets can be left in the ground all winter, mulch with 6-8" of straw and dig them as you need them.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6803557

I agree with the spring date, I think the fall date is a little early in my area. I would say 10/20 is more likely here

Paul

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Michigan Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
BUTTERFLY house notmartha 39 Mar 7, 2009 11:05 PM
MSU-BBALL notmartha 19 Sep 24, 2009 4:45 PM
Purple Moon Flower Question hairgirl5 9 Apr 11, 2011 5:42 PM
Ideas for Spring NjMcMullen 41 Sep 24, 2008 10:48 PM
the building or the GH notmartha 29 Sep 24, 2009 12:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America