-
AuthorContent
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6799397

I have had this Dianthus caryophyllus 'Grenadin Red' for two seasons now. It would normally be 18" tall but it is splayed out like this.

It receives moderate watering, has a lean, well drained soil and a fair amount of direct mid-day sun. Is this the normal behavior of taller dianthus?

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6799617

I have a lot of Dianthus but I haven't ever seen anything like that. The leaves aren't like Dianthus either. I tried looking it up in Plant Files but is isn't listed. I hope someone can help. Good luck
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6799637

Here is the link to the entry in Plantfiles. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/114868/ The flowers are large and look like carnations. They have a lot of fragrance too.

Thumbnail by plutodrive

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6799964

plutodrive,
This is what I suspect. Your dianthus got problem with wetfeet, and perhaps not enough sun shine. Thus they stretch out and became lanky? Try treat them as xeriscape plants next time and see if they respond better? Some are biennual, means they declines after a season of bloom after the first year growth and the second year blooms.
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6800549

Thanks guys! I am going to move it to a sunnier area. We did get too much rain this year already. I have been trying to grow a lot more xeric plants but the wet weather isn't helping me out with certain ones. I wish you all could smell them.

Thumbnail by plutodrive

onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6800574

Agree with the wet feet concern. I have umpteen varieties of dianthus. Give plenty of room, all day sun, mulch, feed often til end of June, mulch year round (depends on your zone, so some will not agree).
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6803748

I have had this problem, check the base of your plant, I suspect it is the growing habit. You will find a single stem longer than it should be, and the grass like leaves growing in a tuft on that elongated stem. All seems OK till it starts to bloom then the flower causes it to flop.
I usually do one of two things. You can pin the plant just at the base of the leaves to the soil. I use small old fashion hair pins, be careful not to crush the stem. (not an easy thing to do) THey will root and you will again have a stable plant. If they are not in bloom I just cut and repot till I get good roots then put them back in the garden. Do not dig the roots sometimes they come back after I cut it down, But not always so I root new ones.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 10, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6803903

It's normal behavior for carnations, Dianthus caryophyllus here, based on the carnations I grew in the past... the double flowerheads are too heavy for the long, weak stems, and they flop.
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6804410

It is interesting that you guys both have had the same issues. Do you think that perhaps Dianthus caryophyllus has been bred for cut flower production and thus not very garden worthy? I am going to try the pinning down technique too gardengus as well as moving it to an area with longer sun exposure. The stems do look like they would root and help support the blooms.

Thumbnail by plutodrive

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6804439

pluto ,
I just noticed the plant file link you gave does not have any photos. Maybe you should consider entering your info and photos?
Just a thought ^_^
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6804456

Oh I meant to do that yesterday and thought I did. Apparently not! Thanks for the reminder... doin it now.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6806144

I have a D.caryophyllus that is kinda short, but still behaves that way. While more sun and better drainage would probably help, I think you're onto something- any of the florist carnations I've seen grown flopped like that. When I was in college we grew some in the greenhouse, and they required wire grids to grow through and hold them upright and keep the stems straight.

There was a co op this spring offering dwarf D.caryophyllus cultivars that looked sturdy. I'm curious how those have performed for participants.
QuoiMerrie
Bay Village, OH

July 12, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6808360

last year my carnation were quite floppy...I tried using persicaria red dragon to hold them up but they are so strong they overwhelmed the carnation.

This year I underplanted radish. they made a neat quick border and helped the carnation stay compact...

once I harvest these last radish it will be interesting to see if the carnations flop.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie

quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6864003

I think dianthus like lime, too. My daughter and I have white double dianthus, origin and name unknown, and they tend to flop horribly. The wire grid sounds like a good idea--something like a peony hoop but smaller.
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6900190

Frosty Fire today. I thought since I planted it in May that it wouldn't bloom until fall or next spring.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 7, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6920015

One of the common names for Dianthus caryophyllus is Weak-stemmed Florist Carnations. I guess that says it all right there. Not a great plant for the show garden, IMO, and I'm not the only one with that sentiment:
http://www.sunnygardens.com/garden_plants/dianthus/dianthus_2313.php

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
the Dianthus are Blooming! Weezingreens 20 Aug 25, 2008 2:26 AM
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America