Photo by Melody

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Geranium Rozanne leaves curling in the sun

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 3, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
topofmurrayhill
Flushing, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6803430

I planted a small specimen of Rozanne as my first geranium this spring. It has spread out to at least 18" so far and is blooming.

We had about 6 weeks of cloudy rainy weather after I planted it, but the past 2 weeks have been increasingly sunny. At this point I think growing conditions are especially good, with mostly clear skies but no serious heat. The plant is located where it gets about 4 hours of direct sun, mostly morning and very early afternoon, including some reflection from being near a white painted wall. The ground is mulched and the soil is moist.

What concerns me is that the leaves curl up pretty badly whenever the sun is on the plant. It really looks like it's withering away, then recovers once it gets some shade. I had to prune back one branch that was permanently damaged, but otherwise the plant looks good when it's shaded.

I'm wondering why my Rozanne seems to be having so much trouble tolerating the sun. It's mostly in the morning and the temperature today was only 75 degrees. All the plants in the same general area are newly planted this spring as well and they seem to be doing fine - even a couple that I thought might need more shade.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7494029

I have this same plant (2 of them) and One gets a full days morning and early afternoon sun and the other full sun all day. Both do just fine and are thriving. I am in zone 5a Chicago. Perhaps your soil needs amending or more deep watering. Or quite possibly you recvd a mislabeled plant (this happens).
NorfolkLiz
Norfolk, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8060460

Mine is doing the same thing - I was chalking it up to unusual drought and high temp conditions. My problem however is wondering why I did not get any flowers!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8184806

Sounds to me like it's growing pretty fast. This is really not uncommon. I would say it will probably be fine after settling in over the winter.

If it doesn't, you may have to move it away from that wall, but I would suspect it will be OK next year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America