Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Happy Ponds- the upside of ponding

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Just thought it was time to start posting some happy fish and ponding pictures. We've all had a few bumps over the past year, but all in all, ponding is still addicting, and the rewards outweigh the negatives and keep us all going. This water lily is Tina, one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Another shot of Tina.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Big Gus...the camera hog. I'm honestly not even sure if he's a male(?) That was the name he/she came with when I got "it". Probably about 24 inches.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
San Antonio, TX

What a gorgeous color (Tina), it's beautiful - I have a teenie (88 gal) pond so I can't even think about Koi, just little goldfish but I could have a waterlily or two. Do you remember where you got it? Thanks.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful lily Merrymary. Wish that one was hardy in zone 7..It is a beauty!

The frogs seem to be happy that it is summer. This guy is grinning ear to ear now that he has discovered a little cave between the rocks. The bugs won't see him coming!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The koi enjoy playing follow the leader.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The view is good when you sit on the water lettuce.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This little guy is a good jumper. He jumped from the wet spot on the gray rock in one jump. It is at least a foot or more .

Thumbnail by BeaHive
San Antonio, TX

Beahive - What is that spikey looking plant in the background of the last picture?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Siberian Iris..with no more blooms or way to the right there is a dried allium shubertti?

This message was edited Jul 11, 2009 6:53 AM

I think I got Tina off of ebay. It's a smaller lily, so good for smaller ponds or tub water gardens.

San Antonio, TX

Thanks, BeaHive - it's the dried allium shubertti - now I recognize it as an allium. I love the shape, even dried I think they're pretty but I'm really jealous of your cute froggy. I don't have any frogs yet - six goldfish and lots of plants but no frogs or even toads - did have a garter snake having a swim though. Not welcome.

....and MerryMary - thanks for the info, I love to buy plants off Ebay (haven't had a bad experience yet) so I'll try that - glad to know it's small, which is what I need, again the color is just beautiful.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one was relaxing doing his yoga.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Actually he was quite stressed as he pondered how to get the red dragon fly high on top of the hyacinth blossom. His attempt failed.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Several of the turquoise dragonflies were in the pond today. They are so pretty.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
San Antonio, TX

BeaHive, your pictures are so lovely - what a great thread, keep 'em coming.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Three frogs in this shot. Can you find them?

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

oops..this is the follow the leader pic I meant to post.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The hyacinth leaf makes a good chin rest.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2009 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

BeaHive, that photo with the lily and dragonfly is STUNNING! Thank you so much for sharing, you made my day.

The color on that lily is beautiful. I love the little blue dragonflies!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Hiding under the lily pads. I laugh every time they do this . I guess they do not realize that they have a back end!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This little guy was perplexed by the frog thermometer.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

ahhh, love at first sight !

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Enjoying the water lily

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This lily looked so pretty today

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A lazy Sunday afternoon just chillin until.....

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

a large group of Koi invaded my space!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A stolen kiss.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

picture posted the correct way..

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Yikes..more want to kiss me..better get out of the water now!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Hey! You never know what happens when a frog gets kissed! You may end up with a strapping pool-boy who will clean your ponds for you. Go for the kiss!

Deer Park, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah on the Pond Boy!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I like the way you both think! Pond boy..that would be great!! I have been putting off getting in the pond and clipping the dead water lily pads and blooms. The water is so clear and seems to be in balance now and I really hate to mess it up. Also there are the new polywogs in there and I would hate to step on one. Yuck.. Found one in the skimmer basket this morning. He was Ok but could not get out on his own.. Scooped him out and he was on his merry way!

Pic of polywog from yesterday

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

My Green Smoke water Lily bloomed today. I just put a canopy over the pond to help shade it some from the hot evening sun so the picture isn't great, it's in a shadow.

Thumbnail by mekos

mecos....Very pretty! It's been hot here all day too, I ran the hose in the ponds for a while to add some cool water.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, this is it's first bloom.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Very pretty lily mekos!

On a hot day like today, I wish I was a frog and could just swim around the pond all day..

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Or find a nice spot in the shade and just relax.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Or play Marco Polo with some friends. These guys cheat. They do not close their eyes!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.