Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Tsar Kolokol tomato!

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 45, Views: 585
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 11, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6804541

Finally gave in and harvested the first ripe Tsar Kolokol fruit--thanks to Ozark for the seeds! This baby weighed in at 1 lb 4 oz, and is completely unblemished. A supermodel of a tomato, if I may say so myself.

I grew over 30 (32 or 34?...I forget) tomato varieties this year, and so some of the plants are suffering the consequences of my greed--many of the leaves have fungal spots on them from not getting enough sun. Live and learn, I guess.

Still, I am happy with the production--some of the plants are fruiting like crazy...I'll post more photos later. The big winner is the Pink Thai Egg plant, which is tiny (less than 3 feet tall), but has over 30 fruit.

Thumbnail by kurantkat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6805969

Baby Pumpkin!!!LOL
WTG!
Can you get a picture of one sliced?
Next how was the taste?
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6806133

Well, you sure are a "tomatohead"!!! LOKL - nice looking tomato ya got there. Wish I could say the same out here!!!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6806689

Tsar Kolokol is a pink heart shaped variety I first grew in 2007, seeds directly from Andrey in Minsk Belarus, from whom I've received many good varieties.

The name translates to Tsar of Bells and refers to the huge bell still present in the main square in Moscow. I listed it in the 2008 SSE YEarbook and have sent seeds to a few places where I know the owners, for trial.

I also sent seeds, I think, to possibly Ozark and probably Flip but either they can confrim that or I need to check my notebook on that, but it doesn't really matter..

And another great one from that same year is Danko, another one from the CIS ( Commonwealth of Independent states), the former USSR, is Danko, a medium sized red heart, which lots of folks love and is also now available commercially.

Many tomato seed source owners get their starts from listings in the SSE Yearbook, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Tsar Kolokol offered elsewhere commercially either now or in the future.

Last Year I had lots of great ones and I've posted about them here at DG somewhere. One of them was also from Andrey, named Orange Minsk and another that I really loved was Moravsky Div. Ah, and Ludmilla's Red Plum and Giannini and quite a few more.

And this year I have even more exciting ones.

Since I no longer can do my own gardening after falling and severing all four quads in my right leg, I use a walker so someone does all my gardening for me. And since I can't grow the hundreds of plants and varieties I used to grow I concentrate these days on growing only those varieties that will be new to all or most tomato growers.

Carolyn
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 11, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6807368

Tropicman--I am excited to slice and taste it, but want to show my father-in-law first because he's sure to get a kick out of it! :D

Sequee--Yes, thanks to DG, I have become a card-carrying tomato-head... in more ways than one! I do have much more leaf problems than last year. I'm trying to be organic and so am resisting the much favored Daconil , although the temptation is oh-so-great.

Carolyn--You are such an inspiration and as always a great source of info. As mentioned above the seeds are from Ozark. If you need test growers in Long Beach/Southern California, I'd love to help.

I also have Melissa_Ohio to thank for access to Ozark's awesome seeds--she coordinated the Fall Seed Round Robin, seeing it through its crazy bumps, twists and turns.

Photo is of the Tsar Kolokol plant.

Thumbnail by kurantkat

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6807502

Man oh man is that pack full of fruit!!!
What are you feeding that plant?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6807527

and there is a THW pounding his head against a tomato plant , saying " oh man , I can't believe i let that one slip by me " !!!!! "aaahhg"
LOL
nice mato
i drool just looking at the pic :)
i have lost several of my varietys this year due to wind . Left my GH door unlatched ? ( yeah i know ? DUH ) and 40 MPH winds just blasted alot of my plants :( inside the GH.
but i still got some that lived through the wind .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6812886

What're you trellising with, steel rebar?!! Those are seriously righteous fruits. And yeah, what're you feeding them, steroids? Hormones? Drugs?! ^_^ Linda
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6813167

i just saw this thread and that beautiful tomato but i am more interested in seeing a picture of the mystery woman behind that tomato. LOL

that is one heck of a fruit. its perfect.

aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 13, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6813505

Kurantkat - great looking plant and tomato/s!

Carolyn was kind enough to send me seeds of Orange Minsk, Moravsky Div, Ludmilla's Red Plum and Giannini. I need to double check and see if the Tsar Kolokol is another. I'll be trying all of those soon as my season down south here will start up soon - seeding starts Aug 15 for me and a few others. Also, the Danko I grew last year were really good tasting. The plant didn't do too well over all (my rocky, over-used soil is being amended soon!) but the fruit were very good.

Flip
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 13, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6814161

Flip, if I did send you Tsar Kolokol it would have been last year when I sent you Danko, etc., b'c those were 2007 new varieties. What you mentioned above are new 2008 varieties. ( smile)

Carolyn
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 13, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6814803

Ack, not sure what happened to my earlier post...Thanks all for the words of encouragement :D

I wrote earlier in response to Tropicman, saying I gave my plants Alaska Fish Emulsion (up until the fruit set, then I stopped for fear of harvesting anchovy-flavored tomatoes) lol

I got a neato picture of a wasp devouring a small hornworm--I thought I posted it as a treat for taynors! I guess I need to spray more BT again, but it's so hot here and I am hoping the heat will first kill off some of the foliar fungus (not even sure if that's how it works...just hoping that fungi are like tiny mushrooms that die and wither in the sun) before wetting any of the leaves. taynors, I also wrote that I hope the saying 'what doesn't kill them makes then stronger' applies to your surviving GH plants :)

Linda, I wish I was smart enough to invest in sturdier supports...these plants have those wimpy conical tomato cages and they are inadequate for indeterminates, to say the least. I also have several plants in raised boxes that were so cute when they were little but are now huge and laughing at the wobbly 6ft metal spiral stakes I bought at the 99 Cents store--between this and the overcrowding, my tomato plants are probably so disgusted with me and my rookie errors.

Herbie, I cannot take much credit for it because I learned all right things that I did do from DG, but yes, this tomato is quite a specimen--and no doubt much less flawed than the 'mystery lady' ;)

areies44, let me know if you would like some seeds...I'd love to try growing some of the varieties you mentioned above, if you have seeds to spare. :)

I tried my hand at growing upside-down tomatoes...I used tall plastic flower pots with holes melted out of the bottom (finally got to use that creme brulee torch we got a few Xmases ago...). Here's the Pink Thai Egg plant--most of the leaves are gone, thanks to a host of fungal attacks, but the plant thankfully remained productive.

Thumbnail by kurantkat

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 13, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6814996

Just for the record, over the past manyl years I've sent seeds to several DG folks from time to time, for one reason or another.

All that I send to folks here are listed in the SSE YEarbook for SSE members, and I also send the best from each year for trial to TGS, Sandhill and of late Victory Seeds.

Many seed Co owners are SSE members and get their starts from the Yearbook, and that's how many of my varieties and others get offered commercially.

Orange Minsk and Danko and Anna Maria's Heart and some others from my 2007 and 2006 varieteis are already available commercially, as are many more b'c I've introduced hundreds of tomato varieties by initially lsiting them in the SSE YEarbook and also making seed offers..

And more of the 2008 ones will be available I'm sure. It takes TGS at least two years to offer a variety b'c Linda has subcontract out but Glenn at Sandhill and Mike at Victory can turn around a variety in one season b'c they produce their own seed, as can Marianne Jones.

So why the heck am I even bringing this up? It's b'c I like to see folks support the small family owned companies who list so many varieties and are dedicated themselves to preservation of OP varieties. Many seed companies are in it just for the money alone and times have been tough for some of the ones that do their own seed production.

I don't trade seeds except when someone offers me a new heirloom and then I offer seeds to that person. And those who know me well also know that in general I'm not a great fan of traded seeds in any form.

And finally, I do make my newest varieties avaialable to lots of folks , up to 5 varieties for an SASE, but do that at a different message site where I post. it's impossible to do seed offers at more than one site when there can be up to 100 requests, which means 500 coin envelopes to pack and send. And now that it;'s known that the USPS new rollers are crushing seeds that's another problem re sending seeds.

OK, enough already. LOL

Carolyn
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6814997

Oh, my! What funny looking fruit! LOL! They really do look like eggs! Sure are a ton of 'em, and the pink one actually looks edible! Hope they taste yuumers!

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6815252

KKat,
I've been using Alaskan fish Emulsion,as to your recommendations,just not on my tomatoes but all my plants,and it has really done miracles this year on all my plants!!
Now there is a down side to using the AFE,I now has the Biggest ,Bitest,Horseflies
you've ever seen!!!!!
They attack humans as if they were Mosquitoes!!!!!
My neighbors get the biggest laugh,when I'm out there watering in the evening,water hose in left hand and fly swatter in the right,and when I swing with my right hand my left hand usually squirts me in the face with water!!!!!!LOL
I say go a head and laugh at me,but I just picked 3 more tomatoes,and just how many have you been picking!!!!LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6816314

LOL thanks Kkat for thinking of me LOL
i need to get the BT spray , the DE powder is really getting to be a drag :( i look like a powdered donut when i m done and my glasses are dusty too LOL can't see anything .
i found only one THW tonight and the chickens loved it !
Next year plan of attack is guinie hens ( spelling ? )
those upside down tomatos look great ! wow it really works ?
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 14, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6816545

Sequee, I hope they're yummy, too! It's weird, I saw this plant as the scrawniest of my seedlings...I guess it showed me!

Tropicman, Miracle-Gro and all those other fertilizers have NOTHING on fish emulsion. Yes, it smells like hell, and my husband always makes a face when I am outside 'stinking up the neighborhood', but the fruit yields speak for themselves (besides, it makes our garden smell like some sort of beachfront property...a beach with a dead whale nearby but that's beside the point!).

taynors, when are powdered donuts ever bad?? :D I wish I could raise chickens, but we have a dog that loves nothing more than chasing down birds of any size and I am aftraid he'll either hurt them--or get badly henpecked!

I wish I could say that the my upside-down planters are successful, but there are four plants I grew that way, and while two are prolific, the other two are very leggy. I guess the real Topsy-Turvy ones are better because of their soft sides? My hard plastic flower pots cause the soil to compact, even with daily drip irrigation...Maybe I'll do better if I add those hyrdogel granules to my soil mix next year.

Here's a photo of an unusual tomato plant--very dark stems and young fruit--they almost look like eggplants when they're little.

Thumbnail by kurantkat

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6818196

Great looking fruit! What is the variety of the above tomato plant? It looks so pretty.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6819838

LOL yes powered donuts are never a bad thing ,only on my thighs does it become a bad thing .But oooh sooo good.
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 15, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6820488

Antoinine, not sure what those tomatoes are officially called, but some DG people refer to them as blueberry tomatoes. I had to try growing a couple to see how much like a blueberry it really is!

taynors, life is too short and beauty is in the eye of the beholder! LOL
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6821624

Antoinine, not sure what those tomatoes are officially called, but some DG people refer to them as blueberry tomatoes. I had to try growing a couple to see how much like a blueberry it really is!

I tihink you're referring to what was called here and elsewhere as the OSU ( Oregon State U) blue tomato and I rememeber someone here offereing seeds for them, which I questioned b'c they weren't supposed to be distributed per the signoff of the lab where they were being worked on, except to individuals who used them in tomato breeding programs. Whatever.

The OSU Blue was bred by conventional means but the blueberry one you're referring to was bred in England using actual insertion of genes into the tomato genome; quite different.

I was sent two OSU fruits but never sent seeds to anyone b/c they weren't supposed to be distributed.

That's all past history now, but I thought I'd mention the variety Purple Smudge, which is also light sensitive as the OSU one is and forms dark "smudges", what a surprise, LOL, on the shoulders. There's also an orange fleshed Purple Smudge.

Novelties all, for sure.

Carolyn
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6821721

Interesting...I was sent some Blueberry tomato seeds in a trade last year. Maybe I will grow them next year. Are the fruit cherries or more of a saladette size?
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6821875

Interesting...I was sent some Blueberry tomato seeds in a trade last year. Maybe I will grow them next year. Are the fruit cherries or more of a saladette size?

Toni, I think that someone was mixed up on the name b'c the ones where a blueberry gene was inserted into the tomato genome are not available as seeds anywhere. That GMO development is still being worked on in England

I think what you were sent were OSU Blue seeds and right now I guess there are even several strains of OSU Blue that are out there . Someone at GW just asked about Blue 3 and I know from posts elsewhere that some folks are getting fruits that they think are great re taste and others, like myself, considered them spitouts. LOL

Tastes do differ, that's for sure, but I wasn't the only one describing them as spitters. LOL

Carolyn, who also notes that the OSU team is still working on this blue one and I haven't seen any plans as to when they might even release it, or at least the best one to be released.

Carolyn
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6822659

Honestly, I don't know what I have here as of yet. I started one this year and it died off early due to damping and life got in the way and restarting went by the wayside.

I have no packs marked OSU Blue or P20 (?) I think is the name of Darrel's. Closest thing in my seed box would be "Blue" which I purchased from Marianna's. The "Blueberry" seed is from a trade so I would agree there are more than likely several strains out and about.

In either case, we'll see next year when I grow it out. I can see from the picture why it would be a popular garden novelty. Very out of the ordinary..

Maybe I should ask are the fruit "expected" to be cherry sized or larger?
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6823171

The OSU Blue is beautiful but not all that great tasting. I grew it last year and it grew well with lots of fruit but not my cup of tea.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6823227

Toni, I checked Marianne's site to see what Blue she's listing and it's one that has been listed in the SSE Yearbook for a long time.

Here's her expanded description of it which is much more that what she notes at her site b'c she lists it as well in the Yearbooki;

75 days, det, PL, small fluted flat beefsteaks are maroon with blue/gray shoulders, very nice flavor, quite productive.

Marianne doesn't give fruit size but others do and most others say 2-5 oz fruits.

The variety is from Estonia

If it's the OSU one you have then the fruits can range from about 4-6 oz globes and so yes, many of the fruits will be larger than cherry size, as were the ones sent to me.

Carolyn
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 15, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6823237

Antoinine, I think the fruit are expected to be salad-sized, but on the larger side (about 2 in. in diameter). I'm quite positive that I have the OSU blueberry and not the British variety, since I got it from an OSU Blueberry thread before people were asked to stop sharing the seeds. With all the variations associated with this 'controversial' tomato, I guess I'll never know which strain I have.

It turned completely vermilion when it got ripe--probably because I harvested it and placed it indoors (no sun to make it purple?). I can attest that it tastes delicious. I wonder if soil and growing conditions affect the flavor, making it taste foul when grown in some gardens, and better in others? It tastes like a sweeter, tarter beefsteak. Maybe the fish emulsion DOES enhance flavors...ick.

Photo is of a Green Zebra plant that continued to thrive despite getting so rudely decapitated...

Thumbnail by kurantkat

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6823302

OK, here's some links to straighten things out.

The first is an article from the OSU scientists themselves and you'll read that conventional breeding was used to develop it and why they're developing it.

OSU BLUE has NO blueberry genes in it as you can see from the genes that were used.

it's the Purple/blue one being delveloped in the UK that has a blueberry gene inserted into the tomato gene, which makes it a GMO and no seeds for that are available to anyone.

The seond link is from GW where back in 2008 this OSU one was discussed and note what Darrel ( Fusion) and Mule and others have to say about it.

http://hort.oregonstate.edu/files/Random_Front/Purple_Tomato/Purple%20Tomato%20FAQ.pdf

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg071120441728.html

I do hope that those two links clear up the confusion between the OSU Blue and the UK GMO one for which no seeds are available.

Edited to add a third more recent link from GW where Mulio is discussing his breeding work with OSU Blue.

Toni, you'll see that is was Mule who gave the P20 seeds to Darrel from Mule's breeding project and how stable they are in the long term no one knows at this point, but you can read about P20 from the following link:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0418545929518.html?16

Carolyn

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 2:58 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6823391

Kurantkat,
If I manage to grow exactly ONE crop with as many tomatoes as you've got in the bootleg Topsy-Turvy, I will consider myself a successful tomato grower!

The "bumper" crop still eludes (sp?) me...

Linda
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6823997

Carolyn: Let me be even more clear if I can.
In MY little tomato database I keep track of MY seed with the only other one with a name close to "Blueberry" I have is 2007 "Blue" seed or some 2006 Brown Berry which I am sure is not even close. The "Blue"I bought from Marianna's and grew in 2008. Delicious by the way but you know I am partial to black tomatoes :)

I do have some seed I recieved in a trade called "Blueberry" like Kat has. However, I don't know if they are OSU or not. It's really not a biggie. Sorry to put you through such a hassle, seriously.

Kat: Thanks for answering the question re: size. I asked because I like to grow cherries in a hanging basket and let them droop down a 7 foot pole I have (left over from a defunct laundry line on one end of my backyard. I figure I may as well use it for something LOL. I will make it a point to grow them next year because I think I am in love with the color alone. I always try to grow at least one "novelty" every year for my own amusement. I know I need a life LOL.

This year my novelties are White Oxheart, Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge, Varigated (the prettiest foliage BTW...thanks for the introduction Dr. Male!), and Orange Tree which is the cutest little wrinkly thing. It looks like somebody balled up a healthy yellow tomato plant in their hand. I kept Googling it for like too weeks until it sunk in that it was supposed to be that way. I thought I was killing the darned thing!

Ate my first Green Zebra this afternoon and it was delicious.

Thanks again all!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 6:13 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6824139

I tried Orange Purple Fleshed and it didn't germinate for me ? but i m sure its a human error on my part LOL
Interesting on the Blueberry tomato. I have no idea why someone would want a blue tomato ? i think blue is should be for flowers.JMOH :)
Toni i would be more than interested to see how your Orange Purple Fleshed turn out . Pleas let me know :)
Green Zebra is a good one. I love it.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6824194

Carolyn: Let me be even more clear if I can.
In MY little tomato database I keep track of MY seed with the only other one with a name close to "Blueberry" I have is 2007 "Blue" seed or some 2006 Brown Berry which I am sure is not even close. The "Blue"I bought from Marianna's and grew in 2008. Delicious by the way but you know I am partial to black tomatoes :)

I understand Toni.

In your post above you said you had Blue from Marianne but didn't say you'd grown it so I thought I was helping in giving some background info on that one in terms of her SSE listing for it. As it turns out you grew it last year as you just posted, so my info is redundant.

And there seemed to be some confusion about the difference between the OSU Blue and the GMO blueberry one from the UK, by several folks here, so I thought that by posting those links I was hopefully helping some here to understand the difference.

And the third link I hoped would clarify even more by noting what P20 was, since you also mentioned that one in your above post, and all else that was in that link on what Mule is doing with OSU Blue in his breeding experiments, and some neat pictures to boot.

Oh well.

Carolyn
artemiss
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6824236

These threads are always so enlightening..so I certainly don't mind a little extra info.

I get to drool over other's success and learn a thing or too in the process:)

On that note..there's a varigated tomato???
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6824396

Art:

A red tomato with green and white varigated foliage. Hirt's (where I got the seedling) calls it "Varigated: Creme et Verte" or "Cream and Green" in French. Very pretty plant no maters on it yet tho:(

Carolyn:

You did help, alot! Until today I had never heard of the GMO strain or the one Mule is working with and had no clue about P20 other than what was on Darrel's site.

You even straightened me out on which pot to grow it in LOL!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 8:21 PM
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6824491

Sue if I can ever find a free minute or coupla days Oprah and I will be shooting that way and I will try to bring you an OFPS.

ETA: Sorry to hijack Kat. Keep those gorgeous tom pics coming!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 10:33 PM
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 16, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6824739

A red tomato with green and white varigated foliage. Hirt's (where I got the seedling) calls it "Varigated: Creme et Verte" or "Cream and Green" in French. Very pretty plant no maters on it yet tho:(

Hopefully a bit of background information on this variety might be interesting to some folks who would like to grow the only known variegated tomato variety that comes true from seed, all the others having to be propagated vegetatively.

The variety originated in either Ireland or England, hard to tell from some sleuthing that was done, and was originally called Variegata. There's no connection with France at all but as is true with many varieties the original names are often expressed in a foreign language at non-US sites.

A person in Europe changed the name from Variegata to Splash of Cream which was a bad thing to do, very bad. ( smile)

Seeds were sent to someone here in the US who has a small seed site and who doesn't specialize in tomatoes at all, and it's from him that I got the seeds several years ago as Splash of Cream and he gave me the name of the person in Europe who he had gotten the seeds from and I e-mailed him and he said that yes, he was the one who changed the name.

So the variety should be known as Variegata or Variegated and I was the first person to list it in the SSE Yearbook. At roughly the same time Kees Sahin, now deceased, in the Netherlands had sent seeds of Variegata to SSE and they subsequently offered it in the SSE Public catalog where I think it's still being listed.

It's a true novelty, but the fruits are not all that bad tasting.

One can see white ( or cream) variegation on the foliage as well as the stems as well as the fruits in the immature state, as darker areas on a lighter green backgound. The fruits ripen up to all red.

But... the variegation disappears in hot weather as many have noted, so the highest degree of variegation is found in cooler weather.

I still have lots of seeds that are now about 5-6 yo and I no longer list it in the SSE YEarbook, so if a few of you want seeds please e-mail me at cmale@aol.com and give me your home address and I'll get them out sometime this Fall for use next Spring.

No SASE needed. I'll stand the cost for US folks but no doubt will have to consider lowering my dark bittersweet chocolate budget, good diabetic that I am. LOL

If too many ask for seeds I'll just note that via a return e-mail to those folks when I've reached the limit of how many requests I think I want to do with those seeds. How about a cut off date of August 15th so this offer doesn't go on forever. I just hate to see them go to waste if others might want some/

BUT, you should double sow the seeds I send you to be sure you get a couple of plants and then you can save your own seeds from several of the fruits from those plants. The germination may still be way over 50% but I'm not in the mood to test it, so that's why I'm suggesting double sowing, and don't be surprised if it's much higher than 50 % in which case just thin the seedlings ASAP/

Carolyn
artemiss
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6825376

I learn something new every day-thats why I love this place!
Carolyn:
Email sent. I am eager to try this novelty next year. Thank you for the offer:)
You say that is loses much of it's variegation in the heat..I wonder then, is it like some of the other varigated plants in my garden that retain more of variegation in partial shade?
I already know that some tomatoes actually fair pretty well with some shade, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, I reckon.
kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 16, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6827280

Linda, I think I just have the law of probability on my side...I grew so many plants this year that even my crazy experimentation (and failures) didn't stop some plants from doing well. LOVE the term 'bootleg Topsy Turvy'! LOL

Antoinine, I was deperately looking for something in our backyard that is sturdy enough to hold full-sized upside-down tomato plants--I can't figure anything out, so I had to use containers with half the capacity of the commercial Topsy Turvies (probably halved my potential yield as a result!) I would have been all over a 7-ft laundry pole! I am also a huge fan of novelty tomatoes--they far outnumber the 'classics' (not that I actually know which ones are true classics)...some of the (hopefully) groovy-looking tomatoes I am growing include White Queen, Purple Russian, Berkeley Tie-Dye, Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye, Speckled Roman, Green Zebra, Golden Egg, Pink Thai Egg, Red Streak, Brad's Black Heart, Pineapple, Jersey Devil, Blonde Fig and Black Cherry. No doubt many of these are not at all exotic to the more seasoned tomato hobbyists, but I am new at this and haven't grown most of them before so I'm really excited about them.

Orange Purple Fleshed Smudge sounds beautiful, as do your other novelties. I am lusting after them, as you can imagine! I'd love to trade some seeds if you have any to spare :D Sign me up for the 'I-Need-A-Life' club, too, please :D No worries about any hijacking...I'm loving all the info here!

Carolyn, I sent an e-mail, too. I'm really curious to see if the variegation shows despite the hot weather we're having here in Southern California.

Work has been hectic and I haven't been able to indulge in my daily late-afternoon visit with the tomatoes (camera phone in hand, of course). This is a replay...photo is from last year's Jersey Devil, when I was more aggressive about pruning...I let the plants do their thing this year, and one consequence is less (or maybe just later? Hope, hope, hope!) fruit on my 2009 Jersey Devil plant. That's it...I'm going in later today, pruners in hand!

Thumbnail by kurantkat

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 16, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6827376

Artemiss and Kurant, about the heat and loss of variegation.

Artemiss in OH you're not going to have long stretches of heat above 90 , same as for me, so if you lose the variegation for a bit it will come back when the temps come back down.

Kurant, I know Long beach and you CAN have long stretches of very high heat. My suggestion for you would be to grow it for your Spring Crop and get it out as early as you can, or for your Fall crop and the temps would have moderated by the time the plants get big and start putting on the show. Yes, they do show moderate variegation as seedlings, but it gets much better when the plants are more mature.

Carolyn, who has receved both of your e-mails, just to let you know.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6827422

Thanks Toni
i will look forward to a visit from you :) and O
you will have dmail in a sec once i stop typing this LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6827514

Kurantkat,
If you liked 'bootleg Topsy Turvy!' you should LOVE this one, too:

"Tsar Kolo-KOOL tomato!"

Disclaimer: No disrespect intended to the variety name, Dr. C!. Just us havin' a little fun!

This message was edited Jul 16, 2009 2:39 PM
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6829430

Kat I have several I can send you in the fall. No worries. I have grown quite a few of the ones you mentioned and enjoyed them all. Some even make for pretty decent eating too.

I love Purple Russian for tomato sauce and cajun dishes.
BBH gives me the best of 2 worlds a heart and a black tomato. My 2 favs.
Pink BTD is one I grew last year too and is very pretty when first ripening on the vine. Fully ripe it's Burgundy and pink streaked but ripening its burgundy pink and green and really a treat to see.
Green Zebra will probably always be in my garden for the taste. I love the "saltiness" it brings to a non traditional caesar salad, or even just eating alone.

Have you ever grown any of what I call "the fuzzies"? This year I have a small Elberta Girl, Wapsipinicon (sp?) Peach, and one I was sent to multiply seeds for a friend, Red Peach. I'll just say they are interesting to see grow. The foliage is the texture of velvet and the tomatoes actually are "fuzzy" like peaches. They look and taste beautiful too. Wapsi Peach is classified yellow but ripens to more of a "beige". Elberta Girl looks like a fuzzy Green Zebra right now but is supposed to turn red with yellow stripes. Red Peach so far has no stripes and is a bit bigger than EG on the vine.

Also try Bordo. To me that is the prettiest color I have ever seen on a tomato, brownish-red metallic.

Then again, their's always Stick (aka Curl). I call that one the tomato plant in a mini skirt LOL. Looks like a tomato plant and a palm tree had a baby.

kurantkat
Long Beach, CA

July 17, 2009
7:35 AM

Post #6829749

Carolyn, thanks so much! Yes, summers here can be real scorchers. It started late this year, but I have a feeling we'll soon be wondering why we were wishing so hard for summer to start already!

Linda, you slay me! Maybe a mutant tomato will come out of one those bootleg TopsyTurvies and we can call it 'Punk Thai Egg'? :D

Antoinine, you are so very far ahead of me! Here I am marveling at tomatoes because they are all different shapes, sizes and colors (beige is a new one, though), and you write that there are also fuzzy and wrinkly ones, all in one day? I am reeling! LOL

I am going back and forth writing this and ooh-ing and ahh-ing at Google image photos...you're right about the Stick (aka Curl) plant--it looks so odd! I think the tomato plant had an affair with some kale, too, but shhh...we shouldn't gossip. I ended up at mariseeds.com--is that the same Marianna you buy seeds from? I saw the Bordo seeds and some other tempting varieties...Argh--I am only supposed to feel this greedy about tomato seeds during spring!

I love to cook and yet most of the tomatoes I am growing this summer, I grew based on their looks. I guess I never thought that there would be a truly awful-tasting tomato? Haven't had a 'spitter' yet, and am quite curious to find out what I would consider worthy of that description. This AM, I quartered a Blueberry tomato, a Green Zebra and a Tigarella...my least favorite was the Tigerella...Maybe it wasn't ripe enough? A tiny pinch of salt does wonders, though. Tomorrow's morning snack is a nice, fat Wisconsin 55!

This photo is of the second blueberry tomato plant--this one is blooming later than its hanging sister, but is much bigger and more vigorous.

Thumbnail by kurantkat

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6830448

Hey Kat!
There's a GREAT roasted tomato sauce recipe in the Recipes forum. Calls for chunking up your (hopefully homegrown) onions, bells, garlic, seasonings, and maters in a huge roaster pan, and into the oven for forever, or until the sauce cooks down and thickens.

Then, spoon into Ziplok freezer bags (which lay flat, and allow you more processing room).

It seems to be the rage with the tomato growers!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/984/

Linda

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6832366

i have made that sauce and pressure canned it and froze it .Sooooo yuuuummmyyyy ! its wonderful !
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6832531

Kat, Yes Mariseed.com is the one. She has a wonderful variety and I love to read her flamboyant descriptions. Every tomato she has is a superstar LOL.

Another tom I grew last year from her was Cleota Pink. HUGE delicious pink tomato and beautiful to look at. It is round but the top of it looks perfectly folded over like Nature gave you a gift :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America