Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: My lavender died.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 26, Views: 440
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6804913

I had a beautiful lavender that I absolutely adored! Last fall and this spring it was particularly productive. Then in mid June, I noticed some dead branches on the perimeter of the plant. They just looked like they had dried out. As time went on I noticed a few more. I didn't see any pests on it and the flowers continued to bloom. We were gone for a week on a mission trip and when I came back, there was like a swath of dead right through the middle. Now it's pretty much all gone. At the end, it gave off a really strong scent of lavender. We have had some really hot weather, but it did get some shade in the afternoon and in the past heat hasn't bothered it. I have been told that lavenders only live about 5 years and its 4 or 5 years old. Ya'll think this is just a plant that lived it's life or something else? It was SO healthy and beautiful just before it died. Opinions?

Thumbnail by rampbrat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6804922

The lavenders I've had in the past usually have done just what yours did after about 4 years, so that may be typical for them.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 11, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6805031

me too
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #6805123

Ah-ha - you mean I didn't kill mine? Wahoo!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #6805142

They benefit from frequent hacking up and resetting. If you miss that Spring opportunity, they can be propagated by leaning out stems and burying them with a rock on top in Fall. When and if the plant croaks, the buried stems will provide new plants the following Spring.

Thyme seems to behave in a similar way.
Laurel
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6805412

I would like to point out that there is more than one kind of Lavender. Some species live longer than others.

Rampbrat,

The one in your photo is called 'English' around here and it is short lived. I grow the species called 'Spanish' (Butterfly is another name) it lives a long time.

Here it is in a yard where I used to work, as a clipped hedge plant>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6805725

Beautiful picture, dale. You are correct about my lavender, it's definately English. I thought it was Provence, until I bought more and the leaves did not match. Provence is suppose to do well in clay soils and that's what I have. This was a gift from my mom and the tag had gotten lost in transport. I really loved it and had already bought 3 more, but they are small. the butterflies are going to miss it, too. The picture was taken in early Nov. and I was the only one on the block that had any flowers blooming.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 11, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6806239

They gave you a glorious goodbye!

Mine were spanish l. I think they just got too crowded. Sitting on the top edge of a pondless waterfall. The back side rock... the front side rock with the planting area just a thin patch in the middle (but deep --naturally there... not a long manmade 'pot' or anything. The lavender got big and did well...then just died after flowering the 3rd season. Well, not just up and died overnight ...but acted like yours Ramp. I am going to try again. Maybe keep them thinner.
Lynnie6868

(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6811658

Dale that's beautiful!
icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 14, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6817102

Very pretty Dale!
Are the Spanish lavenders as fragrant as the English? There is a farm/restaurant in Washington that has fields of English Lavender. They put it in their burgers, deserts, etc. Wow did it smell wonderful eating outside there. I wish I could remember the name of the place.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2009
10:41 AM

Post #6817376

Spanish is not as fragrant as the English lavender, but, if you put enough of them together I would guess they might be a nice fragrance.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 14, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6818815

Dale - you know --- I don't think I ever caught a whiff. Not unless I crushed the leaf etc. No airborne fragrance that I recall from the Spanish.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6818874

I always noticed most when I was clipping it. Or right after it rained.

Marigolds are a nice fragrance (to me)>

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 14, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6819649

whew...marigolds...eeech ,,, (not my favorite) but I like better than flowering ornamental pear! And yarrow..eech ...

Agastache is a nice surprise when it rains ...licorice fills the air.
icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

July 15, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6820899

LOL missingrosie!

I like marigolds too :)

Agastache is not a favorite for me, but I don't like licorice. Have you grown Sweet Cicely? Pretty plant, smells strongly of licorice. So much so I have to admit I ripped mine out poor thing. It was WAY too happy. But you might enjoy it.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2009
9:38 AM

Post #6825654

Here is a photo of the other kind of Lavender that does well here in the Torrid Zone. I have had this one make it thru the summer (most years).

We have been having a lot or rain (18" in the last 3 weeks) and it is starting to look a little tired. Here it is a couple months ago, at the top of this photo>

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 16, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6826802

That's beautiful! Do you know the name of it? I was just given a small Lavender grown by a friend - it's a bit feathery looking and I'll have to post a photo to see if someone can ID it for me.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 18, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6833062

Beautiful Dale.

No, I have not heard about Sweet Cicely - I will search it. Thank You for the tip
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6838287

I have both French Lavenders (lavandula dentata) and Spanish Lavenders(lavandula stoeches 'Otto Quast') and I have to replace them about every four years under similar circumstances. The only difference is that my lavenders have died back in the Fall.

Thanks,

Chuck
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 19, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6838384

Here's my new lavender - can anyone tell me what type it is by the foliage? I noticed the buds today, so it won't be long until it flowers.

I also bought a L. viridis recently (aka Green or Yellow Lavender), which I understand is from Spain/Portugal. Should be interesting.

Thumbnail by KaperC

JessiBee33
Lake Stevens, WA

April 22, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8513301

Sequim Washington is the town that has a lavender festival every year. Might be the one with the restaurant? My lavender died also. This was very helpful. I believe mine has just run it's course. Time to get the Spanish variety perhaps?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8514653

Here is a photo of a lavender field outside of Fredericksburg TX

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

April 23, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8515717

Dale, the lavender is stunning. Is that at Wildseed Farms? Whew! I just looked at my lavender and it looks like it is about to croak -- thanks for the advice y'all and also the fact that it is probably on its way out on its own. We did have a very cold and snowy winter, which I thought might have contributed to its demise.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8527834

Now the lavender that I just bought has more rounded leaves. So what is the difference?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8528083

There are several different species of lavender--if you post a picture of yours someone can probably tell you which one it is.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8529684

I am not sure of the exact location of the above photo of the field, it was sent to me by a friend.

Here is the only lavender that will grow as a perennial here in Florida- Spanish or Butterfly Lavender, this hedge is 5 years old and gets sheared once a month after blooming>

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8529918

The label only said. pompouri lavander.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America