-
AuthorContent
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6807842

I have these banana trees growing wild on my back yard.
The bananas are edible. they don't grow more than 6". The trees are 15 to 20 foot tall.
Any Ideas?

Thumbnail by bsgardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6807857

Here is another picture of it...
This one we moved to the front yard.
If you need to see more pictures ... please let me know.

Thumbnail by bsgardens

iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 11, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6807872

do all the trees look like that? are you sure it's not a plantain tree?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6807970

there are so many cultivars of Musa, it's hard to know where to start. bananas are not trees but herbaceous plants. i would venture to say you have Musa acuminata, unknown cultivar at this point. we do have several forums here on dg who could probably help you more than i ever could. here is a link to Musa in the pf: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=musa&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

here are ours in the backyard, noids also and probably the same as yours.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 11, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6807988

where's the fruit?
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6808231

Here is the Banana bunch

Thumbnail by bsgardens

bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6808235

Here is the last bunch of bananas that we cut off ...

Thumbnail by bsgardens

bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6808253

I've looked through the plant files ... I figure its a normal or giant Cavendish ... possibly ... I have a bulb and a few babies I wanted to put up in the DG market place ... If I don't know what exact kind it is ... I don't see myself being able to sell them. Even If I don't sell them, I'd still love to know what kind they are. The bananas are soo sweet. I won't eat banana's from the store anymore. I've been told that they are plantains ... but that's only when someone is told that the bananas are sweet and small ... but from what I've seen in the stores of what a plantain is ... those things are huge!!

iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 12, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6808311

I've usually see plantains less than 6 inches. I call them baby bananas
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6808322

The bananas above are as big as they get. Maybe they are plantains ... I don't know : / :D

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 12, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6808358

Is it a dessert Banana, or a starch Banana (Plantain).

There is a dessert Banana, 'Lady Fingers', which gets bunches of small Bananas.
iluvcatz
Westerly, RI

July 12, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6808448

I'm from newengland. My banannas grow on the table. I just thought baby bananna baby tree

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6808564

plantains are typically larger than bananas. here is a link on differences. bsgardens, yours are bananas if they are sweet when eaten out of hand. though my banana plants and yours are both very tall varieties, the fruit is usually somewhat smaller than what we see in the stores.
http://grabemsnacks.com/what-is-a-plantain.html
ArchAngeL01
Myrtle Beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #6809082

i beleive it is musa "icecream" since it has the burgandy red bloom,the pink leaf ribbs,the black spotting on the psuedostem,i am a avid banana collector and grower, but identifying a noid musa can be difficult,if the nanners taste like vanilla icecream? its the iceceam !! if not ill post it on my favorite website"bananas.org" for you and im sure they can id it for you :)
purplegecko4
Debary, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6809543

Also try the website: bananaplants.com. They have alot of pictures and explanations of the traits of the diffrent plants. They helped me narrow down what type of banana I have. I hope you have the icecream kind, it sounds good! :D

Dianne
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6813389

I went to the different sites suggested.

Hi Dianne, I ended up e-mailing them. They told me that could be any of 20 out of 200. But didn't tell me what 20 they might be ... I e-mailed them back to see if they'll put a list together for me. I'll have to find a local nanner expert over to the house ... well I'll have to find one first ... LOL

I think I'm going to wait until the bananas on this one tree are ripe and try them and see if they taste like Vanilla Icecream.
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6813439

I have these growing all over around here. I was told they were cavendish as well.
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6814945

I wish I could get confirmation on it :D lol .. Were you told if they are the regular size or the giants?
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6814964

The only information i See on the Musa acuminata is either the dwarf (6-8ft) or the giant which gets around 15-20ft. I am pretty sure I have the larger of the two.
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6817820

That has been my coclusion. I asked around on different banana plant sites and no one is willing to help. The one who said its one of 20 possible bananas. I asked if they could maybe tell me what those 20 are ... there response was "NOPE".

Mine grows the 15-20 foot ... So, I'll have to concudefor noe its a giant musa acuminata - cavendish.

I'll leave this thread up for a bit longer to see if there are any other input.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 14, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6818697

Musa acuminata is the source from which many hybrids are derived but those hybrids are no longer the species as their chromosomes have been changed.

Musa acuminata in the horticulture industry is known as Musa zebrina. It does not have edible fruit.

Can you show the mature fruit on the banana? That will help to determine which cultivar it is.

The above banana could not be Musa 'Cavendish' as that plant only grows from 7 to 10 ft. tall.
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6819202

There is a picture above of my hubby holding it up. The fruit is edible & overly sweet.
What about the Giant Cavendish?

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 14, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6819812

Thanks I missed those photos earlier.

Cavendish bananas have a rounded appearance and their flower bracts curl backwards as they lift. (They are AAA group hybrids)

Your bananas are distinctly angular rather than rounded, and the flower bracts do not curl backwards (other than the tip) as they lift.

This places your banana into the M. acuminata x M. balbisiana hybrids.

As you stated, your bananas are about 6 inches long and sweet. The plants are about 20 ft. tall.
The fruit is visibly four to five angled, with a square beak.

I think that your banana is known as a 'Brazilian', also known as a 'Pome' (This is an AAB group hybrid.) They have a white sweet acidic flesh.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

July 15, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6824041

As you likely already know, watch getting banana plant sap on your clothes. Makes brown stains on white t-shirts. I get the same thing from some philodendrons.
Did you protect your banana this past winter?
bsgardens
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6826425

Kalpavriksha - No, I didn't protect them & lost a few from root rot. Most of them are waay to big to cover. But I find that if we cut them back after the freezes they tend to come back. I had one that we cut back shoot a flower out and produce bananas within a months time. I'll have to look and find the picture of it when it started flowering .. I'm not sure If I got one of it with the banana's on it.

Metrosideros - Thank you so much ... I'll have to look them up on here and see if there is a plant file on it... :D
luismet
Clearwater, FL

August 31, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9646554

if they are the kind that I think they are they are very popular in PR, we call them "guineitos ninos" translated in English means baby banana here is a picture of the ones that are see if they look like yours http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FHL9UssUPoY/THE0kl0UadI/AAAAAAAAAng/maDPMokaisU/s1600-h/guineitos niños[7].jpg and if so here are great for cooking usually the way that they are prepared is a mix of flour, sugar salt and a little vanilla extract you dip them in the mix and then you fry them, they turn even sweeter after frying them, but there are many recipes online but most are in Spanish.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America