Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: How to sow seeds from Trollius/Globe flower plants?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 13, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6808131

Does anyone have any experience or tips on when/how to sow seeds that I collected from my "Lemon Queen" Trollius or Globe Flower plants? Can they be direct-sown in mid-July? A DG friend asked for some seeds, and I would like to share this info with her as well. Thanks!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6808372

Outdoors - Late summer, as soon as fresh seed is available, in peat pots.

Indoors - Start seed outdoors only.

Depth - Surface

Germinating
Time 30-365 days
Requiremets - Difficult. Due to a very poor germination rate and wide availability of rootstock, Trollius is seldom grown from seed. For the determined : Sow seeds in peat pots; stand these in a pan and water from below. Transplant to the garden in autumn.

I just collected some and saw this lol Didn't realize they were so hard to germinate but I'm gonna try it I have some cow pots I don't like those peat pots :)

This is from the 'From Seed To Bloom' book. Hope it helps :)

Lea
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #6808991

Wah! I've had this plant for 2 years and have never gotten so much as a bud, never mind seed. Good luck to you!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6809330

Pagancat, I have mine in sun most of the day almost surrounded by dahlias in the summer that bed stays moist most of the time, I think moisture is the key to this one. We had a lot of rain about the time it was blooming and I really had a show of flowers this year.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6809489

I winter sowed them January 15 and I had a good germination the end of April. Leave them in the shadow.
Jonna

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6811169

Thanks, Lea and Jonna. Your responses are very helpful! I will give it a shot and see how it goes. Mine blooms beautifully every year, but I have never collected the seeds before.

Jonna - when you say "leave them in the shadow", did you winter sow them in a shady spot directly in the soil or in pots?
Thanks!
Louise
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6811246

Louise, I winter sowed them in pots, just to be sure no weeds come between it. I cover the pots (or boxes, don't know the right english word for it) with plastic lids and make holes in the bottom and lids. Just leave them in a shady place.
After germination I choose the strongest seedlings to grow further in seperate pots, but keep them in shade. After they are big enough (10cm high) I remove the pots to partial shade until I find a place for them in my garden.
Jonna

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6811267

That's very helpful, Jonna. I think I'm going to try it your way and also in some peat pots as Lea mentioned. My problem is that we are not at this house during the winter, but I have a few seeds, so I'll try a few different ways. I may also try taking the seeds with me to Fla. and trying some germination there to bring back up to NH.

How's the weather there in Belgium now, Jonna? We have neighbors in Fla. who are from Belgium...we spent Thanksgiving with them last year. The photos they showed us from their last trip were just beautiful!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6811901

Thanks Lea - I think it might be the sun issue. Bluestone sold it as a shade plant, so I have it in with my hostas!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6811984

Sheryl - I'll bet it is the sun issue. Mine is in full sun and I have lots of blooms. Can you move it into a sunny spot?
Louise
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6812254

Yup - think I'll wait until about mid September, it would probably fry right about now. Thanks!
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6813406

Pangancat, your welcome :) In my book it says to plant it in part shade to shade in hot climates where you and I live they can take the sun you just have to keep them moist mine does good where it gets sun most of the day but not in the late afternoon plus I have dahlias planted around it to shade it a bit off and on as the sun moves. It does good there.

I think now that Jonna has mentioned that they can be WS I'll just try my seeds like that for this year it sounds a lot easier I really hate trying to start seeds now when the real heat is on the way :)
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6814146

Never mind you not being in the house during winter. You can just leave them outside. They need no care at all, until you transplant them in pots. I assume that will be the first half of May in your zone.
The weather is very different every week here now. First we had 28C for a week, last week we had 12C and this week we expect about 22C. We had a lot of rain, so the weeds are very happy.
I live in the eastern part of Belgium, the climat there is quite different from the rest of Belgium. Here we are in zone 6a/b
but the rest of Belgium is in zone 7 or even 8a. As you might know from your neighbours in Fla Belgium is a very small country, but there are 3 language zone": dutch (flemish), french and german. I live in the german speaking part, but my motherlanguage is dutch, because originally I'm from the Netherlands.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6815555

Very interesting, Jonna. My neighbors' parents come for 6 weeks at a time, and they speak only French. I had a French minor in college, so I try my best to communicate a bit with them in their language. We have fun trying!

Thanks for your thoughts on the wintersowing here. I'm going to give that a try!
Louise

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America