-
AuthorContent
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6812302

My very dear friend Ivy passed away on July 3rd after battling cancer for many years. I'm building a frog pond in memory of her- she and I had talked about how wonderful it would be if I built one when my husband and I bought this house 9 months ago, and I told her I would try to do it this summer.

I just wish she was still around to see it.

Here's what I've got so far- I will be piling rocks all around the back side and letting the ivy that's growing under the hedge come out over the rocks. I have marble and granite to build froggie shelters/hiding places, and plants to put in the bed around the front of the pond.

There will be glass marbles scattered around the pond. (Ivy loved marbles- she used to take bags of them to the beach and scatter them in the water to become future treasure for people to find. She called it "seeding the beach")

A very kind DG friend is going to give me some tadpoles, so all I'm lacking now is water plants, which I will hurry and try to get.

I'll post photos when I get it finished, but here's what it looks like today:

Thumbnail by the1pony
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 13, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6812400

I am sorry for your loss. I think the frog pond is a great way to remember your friend.
Take care.

Helen
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6812619

Thank you, Helen.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6816556

Made a lot of progress today. It still needs plants and finishing touches, but for the most part it's done. I'm getting the tadpoles tomorrow.

Thumbnail by the1pony

helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 14, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6816741

Looks great! Keep us posted with pics.

Helen
Gardenia731
(Arlene) Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6816801

What a wonderful thing to do to remember the special, happy memories of her. It is looking really good. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother and my dearest friend to cancer too. Can't wait to see the other in progress pics. Beautiful job!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6816812

Thank you Helen and Arlene. :)

The first marbles just got placed- they were sent to me by a very sweet lady here on DG. (Thank you Barb!)

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6819409

Rarejem caught some adorable little tadpoles out of her pond and now they're in their new home. They seem to approve of the new digs. :)

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6819410

Another:

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6819414

Last one for now:

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6820042

Got some water plants! I want to order a couple of water lilies, but I'll have to wait a bit. Ran out of money.

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6820051

Crow statue in the back corner- Ivy loved crows. Note the ivy vines I've pulled forward to the rocks-they'll grow in quickly, I'm sure.

Thumbnail by the1pony

helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 15, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6820973

Hi,
Your tadpoles have a great home... I am glad they have some plants to munch on. They look big, do you suppose they are bullfrogs? I think frogs are really cool. Here is a shot of the frog that came from a tadpole I put in my water garden in the spring. He has found a nice perch on a lotus leaf.

Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6821014

Rarejem said she believes they're red-legged frogs.

Your little guy is very cute. :)
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6821658

Checking in so I can watch this thread - Pony, this is so beautiful, and such a lovely way to remember Ivy! Still looking for that special marble. I love the tadpoles!

Love,

Bonnie
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6822467

Beautiful memorial to your dear friend. Hugs to you...

Brenda
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6823062

Thank you, Bonnie and Brenda. :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6823698

Pony, this is looking so GOOD. I'm sure Ivy is just grinning from ear to ear. It's truly wonderful when someone fills us with such joy that we can't forget them ever. Such was Ivy's gift to you. You are blessed my friend...
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6824673

Thank you Barb. :) You're right- this would have had Ivy so excited, she just has to be grinning and cheering me on now...

I got out there and fixed the pond so it's pretty much level now. I had to squeeze back into the corner move all those darn rocks behind it, then heave up on that corner of the pool while trying to scoot bricks under with my foot. Wasn't easy, and I probably sounded like a constipated moose with all the grunting and groaning, but I got it fixed! *whew*

I added a couple of solar lights and two stepping stones, since I find myself kneeling on the dirt right there to watch the tadpoles. hehe. Tomorrow I'll move my two smaller calla lilies from the front yard to the pond bed.

I have some more granite/marble scraps now, and I think I'll lower the level of the rocks on the back side and lay those on top, I like they way they look on the front and side.

My MIL came and saw the pond today, and she was surprised at how big it is- I guess the pictures make it look smaller. So I took one with a standard sized lawn chair next to it for scale.

Thumbnail by the1pony

helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 16, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6825031

It is bigger than I thought. When the plants grow and it gets a little 'older' looking it is going to be fabulous. Do you plan on a bubbler? or small fountain to move the water to create some sound?
It looks so tranquil. I can just imagine sitting in the chair, relaxing and contemplating.. whatever. To 'take a moment'.. so to speak.
Take care.

Helen
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6825155

Thanks, Helen. :) I've been told that frogs really prefer still water, so if these guys stick around once they mature, I will hold off on adding any kind of fountain. I will have to see what the mosquito to frog ratio winds up being.

I love the sound of running water too- I have 2 fountains on my front porch, and several little ones in the house. The biggest problem right now is we don't have outside power in the back yard. We have to buy a whole new circuit box before we can add it. :-/
Gardenia731
(Arlene) Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6827037

This pond is looking really good. If you are looking for a fountain and have no outlet outside your home you can find a solar fountain. They work well and are not expensive. One thing it must be in full sun in order for it to work.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6827147

Thanks, Arlene! I have looked at the solar fountains, and I'll keep it in mind if I decide I want to add movement. The pond gets sun until late afternoon, so it would work most of the day.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6828165

I just got a cute shot of a taddie:

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6828377

Added the calla lilies and some more water plants, and decided to get some feeder goldfish just for the heck of it. Of course, now that there are more water plants, you can't see them. hehe.

The lady who owned the store I got todays water plants at was very sweet. She gave me some free water lettuce and some other tiny floating plants that I can't recall the name of. But when she was gathering them up, a teeny tiny little frog popped up out of the water, and I went all gaga over how cute he was... so she threw him in, too! LOL! I put him in the pond, and he immediately disappeared amongst the plants. I hope he'll be okay.

I also got out my trusty tube of Seal-All and glued down the marbles that I have out there. I kept knocking them off their spots, graceful thing that I am. So now they're stuck down good.

Thumbnail by the1pony

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6828406

Pony, it is looking so wonderful. And I'm so glad you glued the marbles. I'd hate for them to be lost now. How long before the tadpole isn't one any longer? I don't know a thing about them.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6828834

Thanks, Barb! I'm glad I glued the marbles, too- I kept knocking them into the water, and now with all the plants, it would be much harder to find them again.

I have no idea when the taddies will become frogs... I'll just have to keep an eye on them as they develop. :)
Gardenia731
(Arlene) Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6829299

Awww...what a cutie! U're Welcome!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6829351

I am so fascinated by this pond. I could sit and stare into it for hours! Watching the tadpoles and the fish, and all the different insects that are attracted to the water... it's mesmerizing.

Two of the taddies came over to visit me when I was sitting there a few minutes ago. Guess they wanted their pictures taken again, the little hams!

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6829356

Here's the other little guy:

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6829382

I guess this damselfly thought this was a good place for some eggs...

Thumbnail by the1pony

NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6830020

Awwww, the little tadpoles are so darned cute! The whole thing is looking sooo beautiful!

Love,

Bonnie

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6830029

I feel like I'm sitting there with you. Thank you so much for including us in the fun!!!!!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6830715

Pony, Your pond is turning out fabulous! What a wonderful way to remember Ivy, and you have created it so beautifully.

It looks like the taddies are happy as can be...and already having friends come to visit! I am glad that you added the goldfish. It not only adds a splash of color, but they are so fun to watch as well!

I know the pond will bring you joy, and it feels wonderful to have been able to play a little part in it. And just think...you will probably have a big batch of taddies to admire next year!

**HUGS**
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6831387

Julie, it wouldn't be a frog pond without your help. Thanks again for your taddies, I'm doing my best to be a good mama to them. :)

I am so in love with this little pond... I spend a lot of time sitting on the stepping stones in the flowerbed, just watching all the life- it's amazing.

The only problem I'm having is that none of the pond stores have level 2 plants- (ones that are totally underwater, like hornwort) they say they can't sell any of the ones that will grow around here anymore because they're outlawed. (because they're invasive) I'm afraid the pond won't have enough oxygen without them.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6832304

Well, I've found 3 of the little goldfish dead. I don't know if it's lack of oxygen or what. The taddies that I can see still look happy, though.

I'm going to the lake with my family this evening- I'm going to see if there's any hornwort or similar plant that I can smuggle out of there.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #6832986

Be careful about putting plants from wild ponds into yours----they can carry pests and diseases. You might want to quarantine them for a couple of weeks in a bucket or something before adding them to your pond. Goldfish are pretty tough once they get----they don't need a lot of oxygen. But when they're young they die off pretty easily. I get feeders once or twice a year, and toss them in my front pond. Of the 25 or so I get, usually half end up as floaters within the first couple of weeks. I use parrot's feather and watercress in my ponds, as both are good bio filters. I get my watercress starts at the grocery store.

Your memory garden is quite lovely and tranquil!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6833392

Pony, I agree with Imapigeon. Some lakes have stuff you just don't want to introduce into your pretty new pond. Remember that feeder goldfish are being sold as just that, so their longevity is not a concern to the people who are selling them. You will definitely expect to lose a few in their first couple of weeks...but they are quite hardy after they are established. Remember that goldfish are tough enough to live in a tiny bowl on the dresser of a child without bubblers or water plants. As for the lack of oxygen, that would definitely not be the case with your wee ones as the water is still fresh enough and in large enough quantity that it has plenty of oxygen...they just weren't the "right" ones for Ivy's pond.

Hope you guys had fun at the lake...it was a wonderful night for it!

Julie
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6833494

Well, there was no vegetation at all where we were anyway, so I had nothing to bring home. Guess that's a good thing!

Imapigeon, I have a pot of watercress in my pond already- bought that yesterday from the nice lady who gave me the tiny frog. (who I still haven't seen since I released him in the pond)

I guess I Just have "new pond nerves"... I want to do everything right, and getting all worked up about nothing. I still would like something feathery like hornwort in there though... there's a couple aquarium stores around here, maybe they'll have something that will be suitable.

Julie, I was just at BIL's house and forgot to look at his ivy, so I don't know if he has the variegated kind or not. I'll ask him tomorrow. We did have fun at the lake- it was a nice evening for a swim. The water was cold, but it felt good after being so hot all day. :)
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #6833519

Pony, check with Texas Water Lilies, you'll find them in the DG list of suppliers, or just go directly to their website: http://texaswaterlilies.com. Call them directly and tell them you are a DG member, they have awesome pond plants at excellent prices. (Not just water lilies, but great marginal and floating plants at waaaaay less than you'll pay most anywhere). Love the tadpoles!

Brenda
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6833577

Thanks, Brenda. I looked at their site a while ago, and they do have lots of nice stuff, but the high shipping charges make them a bit out of range for me. I've already spent too much of this months grocery money on stuff for my little pond, so I have to really keep it cheap from now on.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #6833625

Hmmmm...sounds like water letuce salad for dinner may be in line! I will take a picture of my verigated ivy tomorrow (if I remember...long time from then till now!!) so you can see what it looks like. Like I said...have plenty, happy to share!

Glad you had a good time at the lake...was definitely a perfect night for a swim!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6834406

I've had ponds for 20 years, and I still get "pond nerves"...I think it's perfectly normal...LOL!
You can probably find parrot's feather at a local pet store, and it makes a nice pond plant.
I have a nice white waterlily that I can share with you for postage. If you want some, send me a dmail!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6834884

imapigeon, thank you so much for the offer, but I have one big water lily, and my SIL is giving me her small one, so I think any more would be over crowding, as I also have a floating heart, 2 water hyacinth, watercress, water lettuce, frogbit and several handfuls of a tiny plant that kind of makes a little floating carpet. I'm just wanting to get some stuff going on under the surface now.

(But if the offer is still good when I get my clawfoot tub project done, I'll totally take you up on it!) ;)

I'll look for parrot's feather today. Thank you for the tip. :)
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6835625

Gaaaaaaah. None of the pet/aquarium stores had anything suitable at all! I resigned myself to the fact that I was gonna have to order parrot's feather or such online, then on my way home hubby called from boyscout camp and said his checking was overdrawn and he needs gas and food, so I had to send him some money to his paypal card. I'll be lucky if I can eat the rest of the month now, so no plants for me. Argh.

I really need to win Lotto or something. Too bad tickets cost money. Pfffft.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6840091

Look, Ma! I'm starting to get a froggy-shape! :D

Thumbnail by the1pony

Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6840219

awww he has wittle webbed wegs.. :-)
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6840236

I knooow... itty bitty eeny weeny legses! *squee!*

(I know, I'm a dork) hehehe. ;p
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 21, 2009
10:19 AM

Post #6845372

I think its very cool when tads become frogs! Fascinating and endearing!
I hope they stick around after they reach the time when they aren't obligated to stay.
Keep the pictures coming.

Helen
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6847500

This little guy was hamming it up like I couldn't believe. Look at him smiling for the camera!

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6847512

Showing off his new arms and legs... *flex*

Thumbnail by the1pony

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6847754

OMG, they are adorable!!!! I want frogs!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6859932

OMG you guys. The raccoons got to my pond. They completely destroyed all the plants, broke half the marbles off, and I can't even tell if there are any fish or tadpoles because the water is so full of muck. I'm devistated. I don't care if it's illegal, I'm going to start shooting those any time I see them on my property. OMG.

*crying*
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6860316

pony, I can totally relate to how you feel!!! Try stringing some twinkling ights nearby that come on either on a timer or a motion detector (I think a timer is better, because it's hard to make sure a motion detector will catch them in the act). This worked for me by accident after the racoons started killing off my 10"+ koi a few years ago. We put some old Christmas lights in the garden near the pond just because they were pretty----and suddenly the raids stopped. I later read that they can get used to steady lights, but they don't like twinklers because it totally screws up their night vision. We originally had colored lights, but later I switched to the brightest freaking white lights I could find. The racoons haven't bothered my pond for years, and my neighbors tell me all the time that they're into their yards.

If you don't have any handy, check a thrift store. If that doesn't work, you can get them year-round from online places like Christmas Depot.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6860423

Oh, Pony, I am so sorry about the pond! I just found some marbles today. I'm sending the shooters and some of the players. They're mostly browns and tans, but I thought they were beautiful. Apparently so did some others, because I felt some little nudges. By contrast, I was looking online and saw some handmade beauties that were really pricey, and was seriously considering them until I felt a couple of whacks upside the head. ;-) I'll try to get them on their way this weekend so they can be there when you start putting the pond back together. I hope the twinkling lights work.

Love,

Bonnie
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6860578

imapigeon- I may actually have some twinklers from years ago, I'm not sure. Probably not, now that I think about it. But my problem there is I have no outside power. I'd have to run an extension cord all the way to the other side of the house and into the garage, which isn't really practical. (can't just run it in a window, they're screened and we can't take those off because we have 3 indoor-only cats.) But if it works like you say it does, I need to figure out a way to implement it. I'm desparate.

Bonnie- if you feel the marbles are the right ones, that's what matters. I'm not picky about colors etc, it's all about feelings. :) Thank you for contributing.

I've found 3 of the 6 marbles Barb sent, I have to wait til the water clears before I can look for the rest. They're either in the bottom of the pond or the stupid raccoons ate them, I have no idea.

I'm so frustrated, there's no way for me to really fix this. I spent almost my entire month's grocery money on all those plants and stuff, been living on canned stuff that we had in the cupboards... I'm stuck. I can't do that again next month.

I did some cleanup and saw 2 fish and 1 tadpole, but the water is so mucky I can't tell if there's any more than that in there.

Sorry to go on about this. I'm just so utterly crushed right now.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

July 24, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6860615

the1pony,
Bummer about the varmint vandalism to your pond. I really hate it for you. Hopefully when the muck settles and you get it back is some order you will find a frog or fish. And what ever is left you will take it and go forward... get a few more fish.. tads...
Geez, I am really sorry.

Helen
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6860759

Thank you Helen. I just found one little frog, he looked okay. Had all his fingers and toes, at any rate.

Imapigeon, I thought of one problem with the light idea- the raccoons here aren't nocturnal. They're around all hours of the day and night. So I'd need a daytime deterrant as well.

I wish I could afford on of those motion-sensor water devices that squirts water at anything that triggers it. I've heard those work.

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6861217

Well, it looks like I have 7 fish out of the 13 or 14 I had before. Still only seen one frog and one tadpole. Water is still so murky it's impossible to see into, the only way I counted fish was when I fed them they all came up to the top.

A very sweet lady here on DG is sending me some water plants and an inflatable owl (don't laugh, it may help!) and my SIL has a tiny water lily for me. But I'm afraid they'll get destroyed too- now the 'coons have found the pond, they'll just keep at it.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah this is so frustrating.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6861489

What about bird netting or stretching burlap over it for a while? Maybe the darn 'coons will change their patterns after a few weeks...?
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6861699

I've got my family on the prowl for something I could use like that. Hopefully we can come up with something.

I just found another frog survivor! That's two now- this one was green, the other little guy was a tiny bit bigger and brown in color.

And look where I found him... LOL

Thumbnail by the1pony

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6861741

Pony, I am so sorry for you! Don't fret overmuch about the taddies...I think that they have a better chance than the fish of getting away, and I don't think that they are as tasty to the coons. They also are a lot harder to see after the pond gets mucked up, so I bet you will find that they are all there when everything settles.

I agree with the bird netting idea. Your pond is the right type of design that you could put bird or deer netting over the entire pond with a stake on each corner. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it would protect your kids and plants, and you could pull it back when you are out enjoying the pond. We have to do that on several of our rose areas to keep the deer out.

We might even be able to swing a few more taddies, or even baby frogs (although I am afraid that that might be pushing my "hunting and gathering" skills to their very limit :'} ) if all of yours are gone.

Do not fret...all is not lost...just a rotton setback! YOU WILL PREVAIL!!!!

**Hugs**
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6861832

Julie... omg. *hugs* I almost called you in hysterics when I saw what had happened.

I've found two frogs, seven fish and one taddie so far. There probably are more taddies hiding in the murky bottom.

I'm confused about bird netting- wouldn't they just yank it down to get through? Our city 'coons are bold and wily, I don't think netting would even slow them down.

I think I need something on a framework that can be placed over it like a cap and staked down in a few places so they can't knock it out of the way, I just don't have materials or the money to buy them right now. I have family on the lookout for things I could use, hopefully they can come up with something.

My MIL has a live trap I could borrow, but how to kill the raccoons once they're trapped is beyond me- I'd have to risk getting mauled taking them out of the cage if I did anything other than shooting them, but I can't fire the gun here without getting in major trouble. (and I don't think there's any chance anyone would not notice a .45 being fired... yeah.)

Such a messed up situation.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6861894

Hey Pony-I have been lurking and watching your pond and your abilities with the pond grow. I like what I see-very nice and such a great way to remember your friend!

I live in the wild kingdom of all forest creatures. The best solution for my pond was stringing fishing line around the perimeter being held in place by something similar to those wire things that support tulips plants. I went around the top ring in a complete circle and then criss-crossed across the pond. It has kept away everything. I see raccoons all the time on my patio and in the wooded area of my property. They have given up on the pond. Now if I could get them to stay away from my hospital tank . . . The other day the tank's netting was ripped up and the hose returning to the pond from the filter was pushed out of position and it emptied the tank to about 4 inches deep. Thankfully the fished survived but the larger ones were scratched up from struggling in such a shallow amount of water.

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6862162

I was thinking of something just like that earlier. I thought we had some fishing line, but I couldn't find it. It's on the list of things for the family to grab if they have any.

Nothing's getting done tonight, everybody else had other plans already. I found one piece of lightweight fencing stuff (sorta in between chicken wire and chain link) but it just barely fits over one section of the pond across the middle. I doubt it will even slow them down.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #6862220

pony, do you have a Freecycle in your area? We've gotten, provided, and seen posted a lot of interesting things on our local Freecycle.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #6862296

Yep, I use freecycle a lot, both giving and getting. I love freecycle. I asked for chickenwire a while back for something else and got no replies, but I can try again. I'm hoping the family will come up with some stuff first though, because I don't have gas money to go pick things up from people all over town at the moment.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6862780

Pony I feel so bad for you. Let me know if you can't find the rest of the marbles and I will send replacements. I still have some of the ones my grandson gave to me for you and I'll gladly send some more.
I meant to tell you, I dropped marbles in the Atlantic last week for Ivy. Who knows, maybe her wishes will go worldwide!!!
Praying for a safe outcome from all of this.
Blessings, Barb
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6863617

Thank you Barb. I did find all the ones you sent me, and have them in a safe place until I can get things secured and glue them back into place on the pond. I'm happy to hear you dropped some in the Atlantic- that's very cool. :)

I had a run-in with the raccoons last night- I heard them in the hedge (I had the window open so I could listen for any activity back there) and I ran out and stood there with my big shovel right at the path to the woodshed. When one poked its head out, I took a swing at it but missed, and all three of them hauled butt back into the woodshed. I stood real quiet for a few minutes til I heard them moving again, then I hauled off and started beating on the hedge next to the shed with the shovel- (the "shed" is all open on one side, the hedge makes the wall) OMG they freaked. They snarled and fell all over each other trying to get away. They went up the fir tree, and I grabbed my astronomy laser and started harassing them with it, shining it in their eyes.

After a while they came down and I repeated the hedge beating routine. I heard them run off into the neighbor's yard. Little did they know there was a motion-activated shovel-wielding psychopathic human installed here! (I'm lucky my neighbors didn't call the cops... hehe)

They didn't come back, or if they did they didn't like the stuff I had laid across the pond. I had a small piece of fence material, a strip of lattice and 4 long metal tiki torch holders all laid over it. I'll do this every danged night if I have to until I get a protective barrier of some kind in place.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6864189

Pony, so sorry to hear of the dastardly racoons. I hope you can find a way to keep the critters out. Sending good thoughts to your and your fish, frogs, tads, and plants.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6864229

Thank you. I found another surviving almost-frog today, he still has a tail but is well-developed. And several more fish reappeared as well, so it looks like they actually killed very few of my critters, they just tore the pond and plants up for fun, I guess? Grrrrrrrr.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6867975

The little $#&!s came back after I went to bed last night. I had a chunk of fencing stuff, a strip of lattice and four long metal torch holders all piled over the pond, but there were still gaps. They didn't get into the pond but they reached in on the end and pulled what was left of my watercress out of its pot. Grrrrrrrr.

My hubby was home from scout camp just for one day, he got me a slingshot so I can nail them with rocks if they show up when I'm awake.

My BIL and his girlfriend are helping me out- they're making me an electric fence to go all the way around the whole pond/flowerbed! I was worried about that with the frogs, but they said the frog would have to stand 6 inches tall and be touching the ground and the wire at the same time, so I don't think that will be an issue. I don't have any monster frogs. LOL
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6869735

There's now an electric fence all the way around the pond. My whole danged family showed up and put it up for me, as well as bringing me 2 more small water lilies, 3 tree frog tadpoles and a garden gnome to guard over them. LOL!

I don't know what I did to deserve such a wonderful family, (they're hubby's kin, I just married in) but wow, they sure are good to me. I could cry I'm so floored by their awesomeness.

Here's hoping the 'coons get zapped real good and take the hint they're not welcome!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6875576

That is fantastic, Pony! I'm so glad it's coming back together and is now well protected. Hooray for your family!

Brenda

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6876364

How wonderful!!! Families can be so fantastic.. I'm so happy for you
Blessings, Barb
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6876372

Thanks, Brenda and Barb! I am truly blessed- It's amazing to me, and I am so thankful.

No sign of 'coon traffic since the fence went up. I hope that means it's working!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6886165

The heat killed two tadpoles a couple days ago. The water was so darned hot. *sigh* Yesterday I took both our patio umbrellas and set them up over the pond, and it made a HUGE difference. The water stayed cool all day, and the frogs were very active and content in the shade.

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6886172

This little fellow is just learning to hop- he was practicing on the lily pads.

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6886175

This guy was content to hang out on the water hyacinth.

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6886184

This is the one with the tail again- peeking out from under the water lettuce. Look at the soulful eyes!

Thumbnail by the1pony

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6886296

Sooooooo cute!!!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6886441

Aren't they, though? I just love my little buddies. :)

The fish have apparently gotten used to me sticking my hands in the pond- they used to all zoom as far away as possible, but now they all gather around and bump my fingers to see if I have any food for them. It's so cute! And I saw a teeny tiny baby fish yesterday!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6888692

Looks like things are beginning to even themselves out. From total frustration to pure enjoyment. I'm so very happy for you.
I was driving to a friends home on Wed and saw a "barren" patch of roadside. I got out, scratched the surface and threw down some seeds for Ivy. Hope they don't get washed out with too much rain but I'll check back later and see how they did. I just love this concept Pony and I can't thank you enough for sharing it with all of us. Barb
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6889885

Barb, I love that you're doing these things. Thank you. Ivy would be so tickled to know people are carrying on her traditions. :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6891245

I know one person drove by me and must have been thinking "What's that crazy old lady doing there?" but that's okay by me. I don't care what they think. The look on her face was funny though!!!!!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6891642

Hahaha! I get funny looks when I guerrilla garden too. People always wonder why I'm scratching around in the dirt or flipping something with a plastic spoon... ;)

Now that I have a slingshot, I'm going to try Ivy's trick of making seed balls. I can't remember exactly how she did it, but there are lots of sites with instructions. Just think- you can lob seed balls into places that aren't easily accessable! :D

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6893161

Let me know what you find please. My grandkids would have a fine time with that!!!!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6893306

Here is an article I flound. This is an interesting concept. I would love to walk around my neighborhood and lob a few of these into the yards that are bare and BORING! LOL!

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/gardening/seedballs.shtml
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6894020

Bea, that looks like a good seedball recipe. Ivy used to throw them into boring yards in her urban neighborhood, they go over fences quite nicely. I've got a couple of yards in mind already... *grin*
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6894118

Could be fun. I have thought about scattering my saved sunflower seed into an empty lot down the block. A field of sun flowers would be great. Sadly it has weeds and grasses taller than me right now.(5'4") Have complained to the city , as there are rules about this kind of things..but that was months ago and many $$ on allergies medication because of it!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6894261

Yikes. I wonder why they haven't acted on that? Lots like that not only cause allergy problems for people, but they attract rats and other vermin.

A field of sunflowers would be awesome. :)
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6894588

Think I will call the city again to remind them to get in touch with the lot owner!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6912426

The pond is doing great! The fence is definitely working. I watched a raccoon trying to figure out how to get over it the other night- he was verrrrry careful not to touch it, I guess he'd been zapped before. He finally gave up and walked away. (and then ran like heck when I fired a ball at him with my slingshot!) ;)

I have been driving the poor frogs crazy taking their pictures all the time. hehe.

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6912430

Pretty baby!

Thumbnail by the1pony

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6912445

Hangin' out on a lily pad

Thumbnail by the1pony

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6912956

Pony, So glad that your pond is coon free now! The pics of your babies are great, and the expression on the face of the one in your hand is priceless!!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6912997

Haha! Thanks, Julie! The poor little guy, he's like "Oh. You again. Hmph."
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6927436

Pony I am so glad your coons are gone but OMG did you have to send them to my HOUSE???? I stepped out onto my screen back porch last night to run right into 3 coons.. I guess searching for my cats cat food.. First thing I thought of was you and how are free of them and now out of the blue (for the first time) I have 3 standing on my back porch.. lol..

Oh and i watched a show the other day and their was a lady who would go out to feed her cats and 50 YES 50 coons would fill up her back yard.. They had to bring traps out for them.. And they were there even during the daytime.. Searching for food.. Oh and they did mention that it would be breeding season soon and can you imagine how many she would have had in her yard then???? lol...

This message was edited Aug 9, 2009 3:53 PM
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6927450

LOL! You can't blame me- mine are still present and accounted for! I'm out there pingin' away at them with the slingshot amost every night. They still wear a path through my back yard, but the fence is keeping them off the pond. *whew*
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6927466

Ya need to get you a coon dog.. lol.. Let it tree that sucker for a few hours and it wont come back again.. lol...

I have been leaving the light on in hopes they wont return, might just have to put up some twinkling lights to try and keep them away..
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6927493

Keeping the light on won't bother them at all. I haven't tried the twinkling lights yet, but I plan on buying some soon as I can afford it. I reckon we've got an extension cord out the window for the fence, I may as well plug some other stuff into it. LOL!

No dog for me- last time we had a dog it destroyed every inch of my garden. Dug up every plant, chewed up every bulb, totally wrecked everything. Never again. I'm a cat person anyway. hehe.
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6928292

Well, I just layed White blinking Christmas lights all along the bottom of my porch.. so if the coons come up the hill that will be the first thing they see, and hope they run for the hills!!! Good thing I have woods all around me or my neighbors would think I have lost my mind with blinking lights up this time of year.

Im not sure if Im on verge of a migraine or what or maybe I was coon in a past life but those lights are sure bothering the heck out of me.. I had to come inside, couldn't stand looking at them any longer.. Even though they are Christmas lights they have a different effect when you stretch them out in a straight line. And I never use the blinker bulb so this is new for my eyes to adjust to.. Hmmm or maybe another migraine.. lol..

Pony I was really lucky that I bought 50 boxes from a yard sale a year ago.. They were brand new still in the boxes, the long stands with the connection on each end.. She wanted 25 cents for each box... I had to stop myself at 50 boxes~~ ONLY because my oldest daughter was standing there going MOM what in the world are you going to do with all those lights...I must say I have used those lights from every thing from A ~ Z.. and finally down to my last 3 boxes.. :( Now if I had known that I would have been using it for coon repellant I would have bought the last 10 boxes at the yard sale lol... As it was I walked away with a black lawn bag full of them.. lol...
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6928733

LOL That's awesome. Totally something I would do. I always buy christmas lights at yard sales when they're new in the box. Just my luck there are never twinkling ones...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6931287

Oh how fun!
Great pond, great tribute to your friend.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6931332

LOL Sharon- I just replied to you elsewhere.

Here's a fresh photo of the pond- I've added some new "trash to treasure" solar lights and other little decor items. Still need to build a better "sitting spot" than I have here, and get more marbles glued around.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6931336

*ahem* It would help to add the photo... *blush*

Thumbnail by the1pony

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6931359

But so pretty! I love the orange and yellow, and what is the creeping plant that spills over the sides?
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6931391

Ahhhh so thats where the new solar lights went.. I love it.. It has come a long way from a childs pool or was it a sandbox?
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6931404

That's periwinkle- (vinca minor) it was a favorite of Ivy's, so I thought it would be fitting for her garden. It'll have little blue flowers in the spring.

I need to bring in some new hedera helix to plant back in the corner behind the crow- the runners that were back there aren't recovering well, they were too close to dead when I found them, I guess. Funny, it'll grow like crazy if you *don't* want it to...
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6931415

Yep, Janice... I got them home and ran straight to the pond with them. They're perfect!

It was a kiddy pool that had holes poked in the bottom to be a sandbox. It was leaning against the fence in my neighbor's driveway for months. I finally asked them what they were gonna do with it, and they said they were going to cut it up and throw it away. I put a stop to that! ;D
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6931473

ahhh so I was right with both guesses.. lol.. a pool/sandbox.. I thought I remembered a thread where you posted a before picture of it.. Hmmm I think you should post a BEFORE picture in this thread.. Im sure others wouldn't believe this cute little pond started out as a kids toy.. :)
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6931500

Yep- I was going to make a planter out of it with hypertufa, but changed my mind. I'm glad I did. Here's the before photo:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6931522

Wow!
That is a great Trash to Treasure for sure.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6932654

Oh my gosh, how have I missed this wonderful thread!

(must go back and catch up!)

KM
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
9:00 AM

Post #7412553

I just read this whole thread :) A few things . . .

My daughter and I found a marble at the beach in Florida this past summer. I always wondered what that was about. Her name is Lilly and she is a free spirit like Ivy, even at 2. She LOVES her seeds, and we are TOTALLY going to make seed balls to toss for the spring! What a cool idea!

Do you have any updated pictures of the pond? I am so intrigued by your above ground set up. I may have to convince my husband to make something similar for me. Do you have any pictures of it being constructed.

At any rate, thank you all for this very interesting thread. If you are still "frogging" in the spring, I will send you a few mementos to addd if you like.

Jennifer
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #7412616

Hi Jennifer,

The pond got totally trashed again- the little electric fence failed and the raccoons destroyed all the plants again. I've given up on fixing it for now. The state just gave us permission to trap and kill the raccoons, so we'll be trying to get that done soon. Then maybe I can fix it all up nice again in the spring.

These stupid raccoons have been damaging property all over the neighborhood, it'll be nice to get rid of them. They dig up my garden all the time, and they chewed up our internet cable under the house, among other things.

I am always looking for more little things to add to the bed around the pond- so if you want to send something that would be really neat. :)

Oh, and I didn't take pics of the building process- I just put the kiddie pool where I wanted it, put the liner in, and started stacking the retaining wall blocks around it. Then I filled the bed with dirt and Presto! Pond! :)
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #7412617

Well, you did a great job. How wide/long is the retaining wall? Is the pond sunken into the soil? It's a very cool idea, and I would definitely like to make my own!

D-Mail me your address if you don't mind :)
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #7412619

Oh! And also- Ivy came up with another seed flinging method... gel capsules! She had this giant bag of them, and I wound up with it. (When it was time to empty her apartment, it was just me and her boyfriend- she had no family, so I brought home a lot of her stuff.)

I gave the gel caps a try, and they work great. I have a small slingshot, and I tried it out on a vacant lot I'd been wanting to seed. They flew pretty well! Not as far as clay balls would, but for quick and easy 'ammo' they're great. :)
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #7412620

Hehe, very cute! Here are some tips I found online for getting ri of raccoons:
Raccoons are active in twilight and evening. They prefer relative darkness. Installing motion activated lighting may be helpful in discouraging raccoons. However, simple porch lights may not be adequate. You might need to go to extreme measures in terms of lighting. Bright flood lights, like the quartz halogen fixtures used for driveway illumination and security purposes may be necessary. Plus, one light, at a distance may not have the desired effect. We recommend multiple lights, either on the same circuit or independently triggered, to saturate the area.

Raccoons don't like being around humans, so placing a waterproof radio near trash cans may be helpful. Set the radio to a "talk" station. It doesn't have to be loud. The voices will discourage raccoons from the area.

Buy metal trash cans with sealing lids. You can improve the tightness of the seal with a length of plastic tubing (like for water supply lines in you windshield washer system or your ice maker supply line). Slice a cut along the length of the tube and slip it over the rim of the trash can. When you put the lid in place, the tubing compresses to form a tighter seal. Also, place a heavy object, such as a cinder block, on top of trash can lids.

Raccoons like their food clean and will sometimes wash it in available water. They also find the smell of ammonia objectionable. By adding a small splash of ammonia to your garbage, the raccoons will be less likely to scavenge your trash.

Your pets need water available at all times, but as much as possible, eliminate sources of water for raccoons. If possible, lock your pets securely away at night, with their water. Don't leave water out that the raccoons can get to. Also, don't leave pet food out at night, raccoons love the stuff.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #7412621

LOL We cross posted. :)

The whole shebang is 8' by 6' including the flowerbed. The pool is just sitting on top of the ground, our ground is too hard for me to dig in, so I laid weed blocker cloth over the area I was building on, and plopped everything on top of that.

I'll go zap you my address now. :)
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #7412623

Oh, trust me. We've tried just about everything with lighting, noise, etc. Our coons are not afraid of humans at all, and come out during the day as well as night. Nothing has worked, and we're sick of dealing with it.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #7412624

I figured you had tried those things. This is kind of a funny site. http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-raccoons.htm
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7412633

Ah! Yep, I've been there. I like that site. :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #7412927

Hi Pony - Just popping in to wish you a wonderful new year. I know this past one has been hard in so many ways. I wanted you to know that my DGS and I have seed balls on our spring calendar plus a marble walk on the beach in June. Don't give up on Ivy's garden. I can't help but feel it is meant to be. Hope our marbles are holding up too.
Love to you, Barb in NH
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7414015

Hi Barb!

Your marbles are inside for now, where I can keep them safe. Once we take care of the raccoon problem, I'll re-glue them on the stone where I had them before. :)

Happy New Year to you and yours! And yes, I sure hope 2010 is a kinder year than its predecessor.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7414224

Dear Pony, I am so sorry I have not sent the marbles yet. I will do that in the new year, and hope that you will get the chance to glue them to the frog pond. I wish you success with the Memorial Frog Pond for Ivy, and hope that this labor of love finally works. I will put some of the marbles in my pocket for visits to the beach.

Love,

Bonnie
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7414327

Hi Bonnie! No worries- the pond isn't going anywhere. ;) I'm determined to get it back to its former glory and keep it that way in the new year. :)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7415292

Pony, I was intrigued by your thread and the efforts you put into your pond. Raccoons and herons are the worst culprits. I don't feel so bad about the herons, because they steal fish to eat. However, raccoons destroy ponds for the fun of destruction. They threw my plants around and bit the heads off the fish to kill them, but did not eat them.

In the spring, I covered the pond with deer netting, and when the raccoons first appeared and tried to get in, I covered the pond with chicken wire. The raccoons got so nasty that they jumped on the chicken wire so that it was in the water but couldn't get in, so they left their poop on nearby rocks more than once.

When fall came and the leaves fell, the pond was no longer a pleasure so we decided to bring the fish inside to protect them. You cannot do that with frogs unless you don't mind finding them in your bed! My husband built a frame in which we laid pond liner, and the deed was done! As soon as we caught the fish, they were at home inside, really a pleasure.

We're in zone 6 which is colder than your area, and critters don't always survive in our occasionally below zero temps. The fish would certainly die in a frozen pond.

It's going to be really difficult to put them back outside in the spring. We're going to see if there is a better way to keep the pond creatures safer.

Have a happy new year all!
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7417471

Ugh. Such nasty critters, raccoons are. And that's exactly it- they just trash things for the joy of trashing them. I would have no problem with them drinking from the pond if they didn't insist on destroying everything in and around it! I shudder to think how much they cost me in lost plants. Water lilies are expensive! I'm not going to be able to replace those again.

I have no idea if I have any goldfish left, the water is so muddy I can't see anything. I'll have to do a complete water change in the spring. I'll be really surprised if there are any survivors.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America