Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Memorial frog pond

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

My very dear friend Ivy passed away on July 3rd after battling cancer for many years. I'm building a frog pond in memory of her- she and I had talked about how wonderful it would be if I built one when my husband and I bought this house 9 months ago, and I told her I would try to do it this summer.

I just wish she was still around to see it.

Here's what I've got so far- I will be piling rocks all around the back side and letting the ivy that's growing under the hedge come out over the rocks. I have marble and granite to build froggie shelters/hiding places, and plants to put in the bed around the front of the pond.

There will be glass marbles scattered around the pond. (Ivy loved marbles- she used to take bags of them to the beach and scatter them in the water to become future treasure for people to find. She called it "seeding the beach")

A very kind DG friend is going to give me some tadpoles, so all I'm lacking now is water plants, which I will hurry and try to get.

I'll post photos when I get it finished, but here's what it looks like today:

Thumbnail by the1pony
Decatur, GA

I am sorry for your loss. I think the frog pond is a great way to remember your friend.
Take care.

Helen

Thank you, Helen.

Made a lot of progress today. It still needs plants and finishing touches, but for the most part it's done. I'm getting the tadpoles tomorrow.

Thumbnail by the1pony
Decatur, GA

Looks great! Keep us posted with pics.

Helen

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

What a wonderful thing to do to remember the special, happy memories of her. It is looking really good. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother and my dearest friend to cancer too. Can't wait to see the other in progress pics. Beautiful job!

Thank you Helen and Arlene. :)

The first marbles just got placed- they were sent to me by a very sweet lady here on DG. (Thank you Barb!)

Thumbnail by the1pony

Rarejem caught some adorable little tadpoles out of her pond and now they're in their new home. They seem to approve of the new digs. :)

Thumbnail by the1pony

Another:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Last one for now:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Got some water plants! I want to order a couple of water lilies, but I'll have to wait a bit. Ran out of money.

Thumbnail by the1pony

Crow statue in the back corner- Ivy loved crows. Note the ivy vines I've pulled forward to the rocks-they'll grow in quickly, I'm sure.

Thumbnail by the1pony
Decatur, GA

Hi,
Your tadpoles have a great home... I am glad they have some plants to munch on. They look big, do you suppose they are bullfrogs? I think frogs are really cool. Here is a shot of the frog that came from a tadpole I put in my water garden in the spring. He has found a nice perch on a lotus leaf.

Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild

Rarejem said she believes they're red-legged frogs.

Your little guy is very cute. :)

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Checking in so I can watch this thread - Pony, this is so beautiful, and such a lovely way to remember Ivy! Still looking for that special marble. I love the tadpoles!

Love,

Bonnie

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful memorial to your dear friend. Hugs to you...

Brenda

Thank you, Bonnie and Brenda. :)

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Pony, this is looking so GOOD. I'm sure Ivy is just grinning from ear to ear. It's truly wonderful when someone fills us with such joy that we can't forget them ever. Such was Ivy's gift to you. You are blessed my friend...

Thank you Barb. :) You're right- this would have had Ivy so excited, she just has to be grinning and cheering me on now...

I got out there and fixed the pond so it's pretty much level now. I had to squeeze back into the corner move all those darn rocks behind it, then heave up on that corner of the pool while trying to scoot bricks under with my foot. Wasn't easy, and I probably sounded like a constipated moose with all the grunting and groaning, but I got it fixed! *whew*

I added a couple of solar lights and two stepping stones, since I find myself kneeling on the dirt right there to watch the tadpoles. hehe. Tomorrow I'll move my two smaller calla lilies from the front yard to the pond bed.

I have some more granite/marble scraps now, and I think I'll lower the level of the rocks on the back side and lay those on top, I like they way they look on the front and side.

My MIL came and saw the pond today, and she was surprised at how big it is- I guess the pictures make it look smaller. So I took one with a standard sized lawn chair next to it for scale.

Thumbnail by the1pony
Decatur, GA

It is bigger than I thought. When the plants grow and it gets a little 'older' looking it is going to be fabulous. Do you plan on a bubbler? or small fountain to move the water to create some sound?
It looks so tranquil. I can just imagine sitting in the chair, relaxing and contemplating.. whatever. To 'take a moment'.. so to speak.
Take care.

Helen

Thanks, Helen. :) I've been told that frogs really prefer still water, so if these guys stick around once they mature, I will hold off on adding any kind of fountain. I will have to see what the mosquito to frog ratio winds up being.

I love the sound of running water too- I have 2 fountains on my front porch, and several little ones in the house. The biggest problem right now is we don't have outside power in the back yard. We have to buy a whole new circuit box before we can add it. :-/

This pond is looking really good. If you are looking for a fountain and have no outlet outside your home you can find a solar fountain. They work well and are not expensive. One thing it must be in full sun in order for it to work.

Thanks, Arlene! I have looked at the solar fountains, and I'll keep it in mind if I decide I want to add movement. The pond gets sun until late afternoon, so it would work most of the day.

I just got a cute shot of a taddie:

Thumbnail by the1pony

Added the calla lilies and some more water plants, and decided to get some feeder goldfish just for the heck of it. Of course, now that there are more water plants, you can't see them. hehe.

The lady who owned the store I got todays water plants at was very sweet. She gave me some free water lettuce and some other tiny floating plants that I can't recall the name of. But when she was gathering them up, a teeny tiny little frog popped up out of the water, and I went all gaga over how cute he was... so she threw him in, too! LOL! I put him in the pond, and he immediately disappeared amongst the plants. I hope he'll be okay.

I also got out my trusty tube of Seal-All and glued down the marbles that I have out there. I kept knocking them off their spots, graceful thing that I am. So now they're stuck down good.

Thumbnail by the1pony

Pony, it is looking so wonderful. And I'm so glad you glued the marbles. I'd hate for them to be lost now. How long before the tadpole isn't one any longer? I don't know a thing about them.

Thanks, Barb! I'm glad I glued the marbles, too- I kept knocking them into the water, and now with all the plants, it would be much harder to find them again.

I have no idea when the taddies will become frogs... I'll just have to keep an eye on them as they develop. :)

Awww...what a cutie! U're Welcome!

I am so fascinated by this pond. I could sit and stare into it for hours! Watching the tadpoles and the fish, and all the different insects that are attracted to the water... it's mesmerizing.

Two of the taddies came over to visit me when I was sitting there a few minutes ago. Guess they wanted their pictures taken again, the little hams!

Thumbnail by the1pony

Here's the other little guy:

Thumbnail by the1pony

I guess this damselfly thought this was a good place for some eggs...

Thumbnail by the1pony
Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Awwww, the little tadpoles are so darned cute! The whole thing is looking sooo beautiful!

Love,

Bonnie

I feel like I'm sitting there with you. Thank you so much for including us in the fun!!!!!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Pony, Your pond is turning out fabulous! What a wonderful way to remember Ivy, and you have created it so beautifully.

It looks like the taddies are happy as can be....and already having friends come to visit! I am glad that you added the goldfish. It not only adds a splash of color, but they are so fun to watch as well!

I know the pond will bring you joy, and it feels wonderful to have been able to play a little part in it. And just think...you will probably have a big batch of taddies to admire next year!

**HUGS**

Julie, it wouldn't be a frog pond without your help. Thanks again for your taddies, I'm doing my best to be a good mama to them. :)

I am so in love with this little pond... I spend a lot of time sitting on the stepping stones in the flowerbed, just watching all the life- it's amazing.

The only problem I'm having is that none of the pond stores have level 2 plants- (ones that are totally underwater, like hornwort) they say they can't sell any of the ones that will grow around here anymore because they're outlawed. (because they're invasive) I'm afraid the pond won't have enough oxygen without them.

Well, I've found 3 of the little goldfish dead. I don't know if it's lack of oxygen or what. The taddies that I can see still look happy, though.

I'm going to the lake with my family this evening- I'm going to see if there's any hornwort or similar plant that I can smuggle out of there.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Be careful about putting plants from wild ponds into yours----they can carry pests and diseases. You might want to quarantine them for a couple of weeks in a bucket or something before adding them to your pond. Goldfish are pretty tough once they get----they don't need a lot of oxygen. But when they're young they die off pretty easily. I get feeders once or twice a year, and toss them in my front pond. Of the 25 or so I get, usually half end up as floaters within the first couple of weeks. I use parrot's feather and watercress in my ponds, as both are good bio filters. I get my watercress starts at the grocery store.

Your memory garden is quite lovely and tranquil!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Pony, I agree with Imapigeon. Some lakes have stuff you just don't want to introduce into your pretty new pond. Remember that feeder goldfish are being sold as just that, so their longevity is not a concern to the people who are selling them. You will definitely expect to lose a few in their first couple of weeks...but they are quite hardy after they are established. Remember that goldfish are tough enough to live in a tiny bowl on the dresser of a child without bubblers or water plants. As for the lack of oxygen, that would definitely not be the case with your wee ones as the water is still fresh enough and in large enough quantity that it has plenty of oxygen....they just weren't the "right" ones for Ivy's pond.

Hope you guys had fun at the lake...it was a wonderful night for it!

Julie

Well, there was no vegetation at all where we were anyway, so I had nothing to bring home. Guess that's a good thing!

Imapigeon, I have a pot of watercress in my pond already- bought that yesterday from the nice lady who gave me the tiny frog. (who I still haven't seen since I released him in the pond)

I guess I Just have "new pond nerves"... I want to do everything right, and getting all worked up about nothing. I still would like something feathery like hornwort in there though... there's a couple aquarium stores around here, maybe they'll have something that will be suitable.

Julie, I was just at BIL's house and forgot to look at his ivy, so I don't know if he has the variegated kind or not. I'll ask him tomorrow. We did have fun at the lake- it was a nice evening for a swim. The water was cold, but it felt good after being so hot all day. :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Pony, check with Texas Water Lilies, you'll find them in the DG list of suppliers, or just go directly to their website: http://texaswaterlilies.com. Call them directly and tell them you are a DG member, they have awesome pond plants at excellent prices. (Not just water lilies, but great marginal and floating plants at waaaaay less than you'll pay most anywhere). Love the tadpoles!

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.