Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Introduction to Agaves: Agave tequiliana ? Can you help?

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Agaves
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to AgavesReplies: 4, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6812425

These are pups that a friend cut from his yard in the hills. He "thinks" it is Agave tequiliana. Two of them have some roots and the others were cut at the base with no roots. The question is what to do with them. Will the ones with no roots survive and if so do I let the bases heal before planting? And when planting, how deep should they be in the soil?

I have a spot that is just perfect for them IF I can get them established. Can you help me?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2009
4:58 AM

Post #6812793

those look like Agave americana to me, not tequiliana. The rooted ones will grow no matter where you put them or how you plant them (maybe not under water...). The unrooted ones will probably root fine, but I would establish them in a pot first- should only take a few months... just don't overwater them (I wouldn't water them at all for the first 2-3 weeks) as they will not be able to do anything with water until they have functional roots... watering will just rot them.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2009
6:23 AM

Post #6812928

Thank you for the correct ID and the advice. The area they will be planted in is a sandy loam that drains quickly and is away from the sprinklers and water loving flowerbeds So it will be easy to make sure they don't get waterlogged. I'll pot up the two as you suggest.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6813782

once established it will be hard to overwater this species... very adaptable... and extremely aggressive. Will spread everywhere very soon... hope that's what you want.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6814129

I read what you and others said about it being aggressive in the plant files. The area that I want to plant it is surrounded by concrete. I think it will be contained enough not to spread. I'm glad I went ahead and studied your information first though because I don't think I would want to try to contain it in an open yard! But this area needs something large and bold looking that doesn't require water often once established.

The only negative for me is it's vicious spines but that area is viewed but not used by even the dog so it should be safe so long as I use my heavy gloves if it needs a trimming later.

Thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Agaves Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And what an obsession it is! podster 11 Oct 20, 2007 1:16 AM
podster and palmbob ceeadsalaskazone3 0 Oct 19, 2007 1:23 PM
great article-thanks dreamingflowers 5 Dec 7, 2012 9:26 PM
Thx from a Newbie - ? Agaves vs Yucca ? HoustonRick 1 Oct 22, 2007 7:32 PM
Plant names, genus effjayy101 1 Jun 1, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America