Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?: More Heat loving San Antonio plants

Communities > Forums > Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?
bookmark
Forum: Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?Replies: 5, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wesley4
Schertz, TX

July 13, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6813347

Pumbago is a good plant here in San antonio. ALso most years I have had good luck with geraniums planted in the ground. This recent run of 103-105 weather is really bothering them! But normals in the 90s haven't

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6813357

Thanks, wesley4, those are good tips. I sure hope there's a break in the heat soon, for the plants' sake and the people. Whew!
nettie8514
Schertz, TX

July 13, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6813367

Help - I also live in Schertz, TX I am also known to have a "brown thumb" - I am looking for a plant that can survive the heat and lack of rain - that will cover my back privacy fence - I would like to be pretty, hopefully smell nice and it cannot be poisonous (I have a cat and dog that love to play outside)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6813542

Hi nettie- have you considered the Yellow Bells in the article? I don't see mention of fragrance but it was used medicinally by native people so I think toxic risk is low. I believe it will be evergreen for you unless you get frost (probably the farthest thing from your mind today)
One vine I LOVE for fragrance that you can grow as an annual is the Moonflower vine. It has giant white flowers that open each evening from midsummer on and have that really tropical, sweet scent. Click on this
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/
to read the Plantfiles page about it. Loves heat- I'm just not sure how it would handle too much drought.
leslie79
San Antonio, TX

July 1, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7935454

I have pink Jasmine growing up an archway here in San Antonio, it smells wonderfull when it blooms and is pretty hardy. Easy to grow also. Dont know if its toxic but my cats and dogs have never messed with it either. Also, Esperanza comes in an orange color as well but has no fragrance. :)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7935947

Super!
It may have been cooler in San antonio than here on the East Coast last week.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
informative article Jan23 8 Jul 7, 2009 2:51 PM
good phicks 4 Aug 11, 2008 9:45 PM
Great... Sharran 4 Jul 9, 2009 1:13 AM
Yellow Bells Sue78597 8 Aug 12, 2014 6:32 AM
planting esperanza tgrammy 3 Aug 19, 2014 5:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America