Photo by Melody

Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?: Yellow Bells

Communities > Forums > Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?
bookmark
Forum: Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?Replies: 7, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sue78597
Ingram, TX

July 13, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6813373

There are several yellow bells on my street and none are blooming. They are beautiful plants and have grown to several feet in height, but not one has a bloom. What can I do to get them to bloom?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6813488

Not having grown it myself, I turned to the Internet for an answer. Do you remember if they've bloomed at all since spring? This source
http://www.plantanswers.com/12_mos_xeriscape_/june.htm
says they should have bloomed around May; maybe they're resting now? It also says that the seed pods (like green beans in shape) must be removed for yellow bells to keep blooming throughout the summer. It also says yellow bells needs full sun, but I doubt that not having enough sun would be the reason for all of them to lack blooms at the same time.
My only other suggestion would be to give one of them a high phosphorous, "bloom " stimulant fertilizer- I'd expect that to get you a flush of blooms. Good luck! I hope I've helped.
billure
tavira
Portugal

July 13, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6813849

Hi. My Tecoma Stans blooms about 9 months of the year in Portugal, then dies back completely, and I prune it hard for the winter. I know it is supposed to be drought resistant, but mine is in a large tub, and needs water daily,
Bill Ure

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6814171

Thanks for your comment Bill. "Drought tolerant" is not the same as 'will bloom no matter how dry it is" Let's add watering to the recommendation, Sue.
Sue78597
Ingram, TX

July 14, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6817789

Thanks all. They have not bloomed at all this year and have been fertilized lightly and watered on a regular basis. Guess I'll learn to love green leaves!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6818092

How frustrating-- sounds like you're already doing everything right. Now a little bell is going off way down in my brain.
Yellow bells is related to Trumpet Vine, and I've heard complaints about lack of bloom in those. Trumpet vine failure to bloom is said to be corrected by witholding nitrogen, or beating on the plant, by root pruning, or by just waiting for it to get a few years older. The logic in some of these remedies is that blooming is a reproductive function, and when life's too good for the parent plant, it doesn't feel like making babies. Sorry I wasn't thinking that way when I first answered you.
Coconnor57
Anderson Mill, TX

July 8, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8680954

I am having the same problem! I have accused my husband of over watering it...but don't think that is the problem! We have had the esperanza for a couple of years and it has NEVER bloomed! Has beautiful foliage, but not flowers! Would love to hear if you find a "cure"!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8681285

The Tecoma that I photographed grew up against the wall of an old mission church. I really doubt it got much in the way of extra water. Things seemed pretty hot and dry the to me an East Coast denizen.
As I mentioned above, Trumpet Vine is a relative. Last summer I saw the most amazing blooming Trumpet Vine. It grew in a square cut out of the sidewalk for a telephone pole. The trumpet climbed the pole . All around is sidewalk, street, and parking lot. Guaranteed no one waters or fertilizes that thing. This is anecdotal, and not the same species, but seems to go along with the 'abuse' theory.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
informative article Jan23 8 Jul 7, 2009 2:51 PM
good phicks 4 Aug 11, 2008 9:45 PM
Great... Sharran 4 Jul 9, 2009 1:13 AM
More Heat loving San Antonio plants wesley4 5 Jul 1, 2010 1:05 PM
planting esperanza tgrammy 1 May 31, 2010 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America