Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Landscape: Front Walkway: Setting the stones

Communities > Forums > Landscape: Front Walkway
bookmark
Forum: Landscape: Front WalkwayReplies: 1, Views: 243
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dena43
Bakersfield, CA

July 13, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6814153

Did you use mortar or use the powder and wet it? It is beautiful and such an inviting intrance
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7033238

Dena---thank you for your kind wordsS So sorry I didn't respond sooner; I haven't looked at this entry lately, and evidently there's no notification that I have a message about it!

I used mortar all the way. I used Speed-Set on the inset decorative tiles, and also on the vertical tiles on the step riser I just completed. It's a lot stickier and easier to work with than regular mortar. But for the big tiles, I used the (much cheaper) regular mortar.

When I'm working alone, I mix mortar and grout in a big stainless steel bowl, not in my concrete mixer. Setting the tiles takes me too long by myself and if I made a big batch it would just go to waste and be a mess to clean up. When I did parts of the walkway, I had a couple of friends helping and we did bigger sections. And I had a contractor do part of the inside courtyard floor last summer----otherwise it would have taken me a WHOLE lot longer!

I started this project in 2004, and just finished the last section of the original planned design----but I wasn't exactly working straight through! I have one added project to complete, and then the walkway and courtyard will be done. But I'm still making the tiles for the latest project, which is a curved raised hearth for our cast-iron chiminea.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

-

Other Landscape: Front Walkway Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Saltillo tiles w/ handmade insets imapigeon 4 Jan 23, 2008 3:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America