edamame

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Friend Wife recently tasted boiled edible soybeans, and loved 'em. This is good, because they are healthy for her.

So, I've just ordered seed. But don't know much about the care and feeding of it.

Anybody ever grown any? If so, any information about cultivation, care, fertilization, etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also would like any recipes besides plain boiled.

Thanks.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Brook, I love soy beans toasted in the oven. Really good. Some of the sugar cane farmers grew soy beans down here a couple of years ago, but gave it up and went back to sugar cane. I wish I knew more about how they grew them, but I don't recall the particulars...Lisa

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

Brook
Washington State University has a lot of information about
edamame including recipes.
Check out:
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/
We are going to plant the " Butterbean" variety from Johnny's.
Bud

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Bud.

A very helpful site.

I had already ordered the Sayamusame variety from Territorial Seed. Don't have the new Johnny's catalog yet, so didn't know they have them. Sounds like Butterbean is an improved strain, though.

Ah,well. Maybe next year?

Naperville, IL(Zone 5b)

Brook, good recipes for edamame can be had at (with direct links to recipes)

Bon Appetite
www.epicurious.com/b_ba/b02_health/edamame/edamame.html

Food & Wine
www.pathfinder.com/FoodWine/trecipes/3989.html

a superb vegetarian recipe for squash & edamame stew with smoked cheddar dumplings at

www.vancouverwomen.com/archives/recipes/index.cfm

and finally check the Mayo Clinic Health Oasis Virtual Cookbook. They change their recipes every so often, but edamame appears quite often.

www.cardiovision2020.org/recipes/htm

Definitely more to edamame than boiled. Good eating.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Darlin',

I'll check these out.

But I've got a message for you from Simon.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.