Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Dreaded Algal Bloom: Algae

Communities > Forums > Article: The Dreaded Algal Bloom
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Dreaded Algal BloomReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seawolf5
Saint Marys, KS

July 13, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6815748

Until the plants developed this spring, I floated a thin sheet of foam insulation board on the pond to provide shade and protective cover for the fish. The duty frog thinks I put it there for his perch.

I do not feed the goldfish - they have done quite well on their own for years and do multiply.

My principle algae problem has been string algae. Periodic applications of AquaOne have proven helpful in keeping it under control.
kutaro2
Menifee, CA

July 13, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6815937

I have a 120 gallon pond with 2 goldfish and a pump to circulate and airate the water continuosly. The problem with algae starts when the temperature gets above 85 degrees. It has been currently running about 90 to 110 degrees. I have been using algaecide once a week but the water still looks green. Should I increase the algaecide ?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 13, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6815971

The string algae responds to peroxide (not sure about peroxide and fish tho) My problem is the other kind...that looks like chia pet --matted.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Dreaded Algal Bloom Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Why are my water lilies dying? BertieFox 1 Jul 13, 2009 2:32 PM
String Algae issue Mibus2 16 Aug 9, 2009 4:07 PM
Hay to keep water clear queenlil 3 Jul 16, 2009 2:27 PM
Thanks Sundownr 2 Jul 14, 2009 7:34 PM
Perfect Timing zhinusmom 1 Jul 14, 2009 3:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America