Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Houseplant Swap!

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

**This Thread/Swap is Closed**

Hello, hello!
I believe this is a first for the Canadian forum, so let's see what we can send each other.

Do you have a favourite plant that you'd like to share with someone that may never seen it, or do you have too many "babies"?

So, c'mon and let's see what each other has for houseplants, and expand our green thumbs and knowledge of some plants we hadn't thought of having!
1. It could be a plant or cuttings - there are no rules on this. If it's a large plant, well-rooted cuttings may be better. If it's a small plant, then it would need to be very well protected, but I don't know about the cost of shipping a pot or how breakable one may be (plastic or ceramic...). My vote would be for cuttings. It's just called Houseplant to differentiate it from Outdoor plants.

2. Blind swap or not - well, I'm going to defer to the group as we get going on this. It would be nice to get something you don't have. Posting the plants you have, ahead of time, would ensure you get something different. I'll need to match people up so they don't get what they have LOADS of already.

3. If you have specific requirements in your home (space, lighting - north/south, etc) please list these. This way you won't get a tropical that needs humidity and you have steam heat, etc, or get a drought-resistant plant and you have high humidity....

-Susan-

Here's our list:
Tallulah_B (Susan)
BettyPauze (Betty)
ceedub (Christine)
DonM47 (Don)
Batflower (Julie)
Spklatt (Shannon)

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 4:28 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

You can count me in, always joining 'swaps' over the USA border but this one due to border restrictions I couldn't..so sad...lol

thanks Susan,

Put me in....

NOW what shall I send...

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

I love doing trades! Please count me in. Are there limits?

Christine

Not sure what you mean by "limits"? Are you wanting to send/receive more than one plant?
I think for the first swap, just send one, because you don't know if the person has room for more (small house, perhaps). Also, everyone gets one plant, and there can be another swap later.
I think also that, when pictures are posted, we don't want anyone to feel like they haven't sent as much as someone else and feel badly.
Cuz we WILL post pictures of our new, received, babies :-))

-Susan-

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

One plant is good. I think I can do that. My mind turned automatically to cuttings, which is what I've done before in trades. So, not cuttings, a plant. Gotcha. Thanks.

Christine

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

I'd be interested. Will it be a "blind" swap? In other words, we won't know what we are getting? It would be nice to see a list of what everyone is "swapping". Would that work, or not? Just wondering...

Hello and thank you for joining our Houseplant swap!

You're bringing up good questions, so Thanks Much!
- see the updated 1st post in this thread.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

The only house plants I have are a collection of African Violets and Hoyas. I have an extra Miniature AV called Lil Thornbird if anyone would like to swap for another AV or Hoya.

Thanks for this idea, Susan.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Maybe a photo would help. Lil Thornbird

Thumbnail by DonM47
Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

I have an assortment of houseplants and hoyas. I could give you a rough list later in the week of what I have.

Christine

Although I'm sure everyone will know this, I feel I should say it:

Be sure to only offer those that will divide, or that are of an age to take cuttings from.
The plant (angel wing begonia) I posted for this forum for instance - I can't take a slip from it yet, as it's only got 6 leaves lol I got it from a fellow DG'er. It's a plant I looked for, for 3 years, and I felt it appropriate to post it as the "poster plant" for this thread.

bump

We may start small, and we may grow! (like our plants lol)
This swap will close by August 22, and your buddy will be d-mailed to you on the 23rd.

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

It must be vacation time for a lot of people, otherwise I'd find it strange that only four people have signed up for this. Either that, or we're alone in our excitement about getting new plants ... nah, can't be!!!

hahahaha no, can't be alone in our love of new plants - certainly NOT on DG!!
I mentioned it the other day, on the US Houseplant Swap, in case some Canadians were there.....

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lucky you guys..who ever I get will be thrilled, my outside gardens are spectacular, however, the inside plants, we'll let's just say you'll need to nurture and care for them...

Could always blame their half dead look on shipping times...lol

hahahahaha Betty! If they're half-dead now, what will they be by the time they arrive at the destination?

-Susan-

Victoria Harbour, ON

Appreciative to finally get someone with a green thumb

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Perhaps you need a mentor Betty...

LOL Betty!
I'm just picturing the "sigh of relief" on their little petal faces!!

Bump
OK everyone - plants are meant to be shared, so if you start your cuttings now, they'll be rooted well enough for the swap.
Love to meet some new people, so if you're new, feel free to join right in!
We're a friendly bunch, and won't bite! (at least not so's you'd notice lol)

Victoria Harbour, ON

lol...se what I can do...

Thanks Betty - I invited Astrid from SK to join us, so I'm hoping to see her here, too!

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Is it too late for me to get in on this swap??? I don't check this forum often and just saw this....I have lots of houseplants and would love to swap!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Awright! The more the merrier...

Welcome, Batflower!
As Don says - The More The Merrier lol
btw - what your name?

-Susan-

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Julie, nice to meet you all :-)

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Hi Julie...and Welcome!

bump

Reminder The cut-off date for this swap is August 22nd. Closer than you think lol

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Yikes...August is on Saturday! sigh...

It sure is!!
My mom's coming on Saturday, and there's a Calgary RU on the 22nd..... going to be a busy month :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan,

From your last post, it would appear the Round-up is August 22nd, right? Would you be able to update this information on a separate thread that is specific to the Round-up? Thanks

I was just going to do that - I just got home lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And here I was thinking that I wasn't invited

Joanne - did you want to be part of the Houseplant Swap?
I just realized you are posting HERE! lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I kill houseplants...don't even know what possessed me to look at this thread

hahahaha ok, Joanne
and you're a gardener?!?!
j/k ^_^

Ok - Aug 22 is here, and I'll match you with a buddy, and d-mail you tomorrow.
This swap is Closed! ^_^

~Susan~

Don & Julie - you don't have your addresses in the Address Exchange!
Please d-mail me with your address so I can share it with your buddy.
I won't be posting it here.
And of couse you won't know who your buddy is!

Quick, Quick U2 - d-mail me lol

Thank you - I have your snail-mail addresses ^_^

Now, I've let everyone know, and Please Please keep it a secret!

Because of the heat, please don't mail the tender cuttings/rootings until Monday, Sept 14.
Mailing them that day means the buddy will likely get them during that same week, and they won't sit in a post office over the weekend!
I suppose mailing them on Sunday the 13th would be fine, too.

~Susan~

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Just a question. Do you want those of us that are sending plants to wait until Sept 14th too?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.