-
AuthorContent
marsinger4
Atlanta, GA

July 15, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6820116

Heya-
I've grown herbs for a few years now--several basil varieties and peppermint inside, tow potted lavenders, decorative oregano in the garden, and thyme, rosemary and several others. My rosemary always dies, so I've given up on that. But I can't get cilantro to grow either, and I can't seem to keep most things for more than one season! I have a small window basket (23") that gets afternoon sun; any suggestions what I should put there? And what's the deal with my cilantro?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6825398

Are you zone 7 or 8? I am 8a and able to leave greek oregano, bay laurel and all the mints outdoors in large pots overwinter. I have two different types of rosemary in the ground. They are in a south sheltered location but have endured some temps in the teens for short times with no harm. The lemon balm has reseeded freely and I have three sturdy volunteer plants in ground that also come back each spring. Basils are annuals, lavender I have no luck with (we are too wet here). I've not grown cilantro but like par~cel and parsley ~ both are biennuals.

On your window basket, what is it made of? If it is a hayrack, you might want to line it with plastic before planting to aid in moisture retention. I like the looks of chives (especially the blooms) for an upright plant and for a trailer, maybe a thyme or pennyroyal to drape down. Just a couple of thoughts. pod

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America