Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants: palm not well

Communities > Forums > Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplantsReplies: 3, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suzbass
Weymouth, MA

July 15, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6822469

Hi-

I've had this palm (not sure exactly what type of palm) for a few years, given to me by my neighbor, who said to water it once a week and keep it out of direct sunlight. It was doing very well, living inside in the colder months and out on the balcony in warmer months, until this summer. The leaves used to be dark solid green, but now they are starting to turn a variegated yellowish color. We weren't sure if it was due to over or under watering, or something else. Can anyone help with this? We don't want to lose the plant.

Thanks very much-
Suzbass

Thumbnail by suzbass
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6823055

that is a bunch of palms, actually.. Chamadorea elegans. Leaves are getting pale because you have a severe case of spider mites. You need to wipe all the leaves off with a damp cloth, spray with something for spider mites, and mist the leaves periodically. If there is good air flow and high humidity, you don't usually get spider mites... hard to have good air flow indoors, however, so you need to battle them with other techniques (eg. toxins, wiping the leaves, etc.). Wouldn't hurt to treat your palm with Miracle gro every 3-4 months, too.
suzbass
Weymouth, MA

July 16, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6824487

Oh, thanks so much! I thought it looked like it was in the Chamadorea family after I perused the site. And I was afraid it might be something like bugs. The leaves didn't start to turn until we out it on the balcony, where you'd think the air flow was better, and then, it rained for about a month .. so that's odd. But thanks for the diagnosis - we'll get on it right away and see if we can nurse it back to health. We've been using plant food too, but we'll switch to MG to see if it helps.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6824581

might also be getting a bit of sun burn

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you threegardeners 7 Dec 30, 2007 4:27 AM
Irish moss in high desert as a ground cover digitalpeggie 1 Dec 30, 2007 5:55 AM
What is this? alwright50 1 Jun 11, 2008 3:40 PM
Majesty Palm rot? Please help! mysticmisty 3 Jul 29, 2008 4:37 AM
Sawpalm pest problem sawpalm 1 Sep 9, 2008 5:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America