Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Of Floods and Fragrance: rain

Communities > Forums > Article: Of Floods and Fragrance
bookmark
Forum: Article: Of Floods and FragranceReplies: 4, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dordee
Silex, MO

July 15, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6823918

yes, things are greener, more fragrant, but my tomatoes are still green because they are not getting enough sun. in Silex, MO, we have had more cloudy days than sunny. last night it was 63 degrees. in the middle of July? i am trying to clear out enough trees to have a larger vegie garden (live in the middle of 25 acres of woods), get enough sun to grow Zinnias and get back the air flow we used to have around our house. it has been so wet from every other day of rain, that they can't get in and cut. also trying to get rid of bush honeysuckle. it has taken over everything in our county, crowding out native plants. hard to keep your footing on a bluff when it is so wet. so this year, lots of rain has been a mixed blessing for me. if it would only hold off long enough to clear out my wooods around the house. even the farmers are crying. first it kept them from planting and now it is keeping them from harvesting and some crops are rotting in the fields.
Sylvanmaid
New Ulm, TX

September 6, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7032144

Rain, rain, go away
Dordee's had too much today
She needs sun and a bit of dry,
While we're so parched it makes us cry!

Rain, rain,
Come this way,
We need you down
SouthTexas way!

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7032593

I certainly hear you, dordee. We've had the same type of weather up here in Iowa this year, including the coldest August on record.

Thanks for the clever rhyme, Sylvanmaid. :-)

Larry☼
dordee
Silex, MO

October 27, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7212243

And now, we have the wettest October on record and the month still isn't over. We are 8" above normal on rainfall. All of this in addition the the spring and summe rains.I am 685' above the river, but am thinking about building an ark pretty soon.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2009
5:51 AM

Post #7222913

Have you got room in that ark for me? We're having much of the same up here in Iowa. Farmers simply can't harvest their crops, and when they do, they discover that much of the corn has to be dried artificially. We normally don't get water in our basement, but so far have dealt with it three times this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Of Floods and Fragrance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sweet! critterologist 5 Sep 4, 2008 4:49 PM
great phicks 0 Aug 27, 2008 9:14 PM
Interesting Article Aunt_A 1 Aug 28, 2008 9:48 PM
Fragance as criteria Noturf 3 Sep 27, 2008 2:45 PM
Other sure fire scents DianeEG 1 Sep 4, 2008 5:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America