Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plumerias: Lets see your seedlings

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 84, Views: 1,025
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6827926

Might be just me but I really enjoy growing seeds I have a few odd balls they are neat to me. This is 2 one growing threw the other very neat looking

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6827932

Heres another angle. you can see the bottom ones leaves coming out the side very strange looking

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6827938

I call this one oak leaves see the difference in the leaves one has pin leaves looks like fla. oak tree

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6827946

Then you have the little branchers this wasn't even 4 inches and it had 3 tips cool but they don't grow real fast

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6827955

Another it might be 3 inches these I started in may

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6827963

just way to much fun watching the little colors grow :)

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6828039

A few suggestions:

Pot them up in individual pots and watch them double in size.
Sort out the ones with the dark stems/petioles - they are the most likely to have color.

It's a nice batch!!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 16, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6828073

Thanks in the process of starting with the big moving down to the small changeing pots out like little kids with shoes and i have too many kids lol :)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6831361

Looks great, Dana. Seedlings are great if you have the patience and time and money to care for them while they take their time blooming for the first time! I used to have those things but lost them somewhere along the line! I sent away about 150 seedlings this past December along with a large amount of seed. The seedlings were one- and two-year-olds. I knew that there would be no where for me to plant them or even keep them in containers as they grew. They were sent to a very reliable business with acres and acres to grow them out. I still have about 40 or so that are six-year-olds and a few a bit younger. I'm waiting for about 20 of them to bloom for the first time. They are quite big now. I have a spidery yellow seedling that is sending up an inflo that is around 3 years old, I think.

I'm not sure if this picture will work, but it's a panoramic shot of my seedlings that I took from the upstairs balcony a month or so ago. The top of the picture was cut off though. I have a friend that buys some of my bigger seedlings from me when they bloom with a flower that I don't particularly like so I had made the photo for him. These are all in 15-gallon containers. As you can see in the pictures, there are no compact plumies here. These seedlings are all long and lanky.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 17, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6831527

Clare don't give me so much hope loI have 100 in 3 gallon pots they are close to 5ft proably 150 in 2 gallon pots another 150 in 1 gallon pots and hundreds in smaller .They have been fun I have had alot of nubs but its starting were I am going to start to get flowers this is were the fun starts. There should be some decent colors . In the next week or 2 I should have pictures of some of mine I am doing heliconias exotic fruits different passifloras from seed to something to do even artichokes lol The few that i did buy paid big money for that were grafted have not flowered yet its been 2 years so i might as well grow my own. Heres my marble love the colors on the new leaves has your ever flowered

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6831936

LOL, Dana. Sorry if I'm grumpy about seedlings. It's true that they are fun if you don't mind the wait for the first bloom. I'm clearly starting to mind. I almost sold them a couple of times to my friend without waiting to see them bloom for the first time, but then I figured that, since I waited this long, I might as well wait a little longer. I've heard of one guy waiting 20 years for a seedling to bloom! The nubs are frustrating.

It's good to sow seeds every year so that you have a chance to see some new blooms each passing year (about three to five years later). I had one or two seedlings bloom last summer, but they were duds. They'll end up being root stock for something else eventually.

Your Marble is great. Mine got an inflo this past winter but fell off due to the cool conditions.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 18, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6832516

Uh Clare I got rid of all my lanky, over 50, seedlings...didnt care what the flowers look like, not with the growth habit they had.
Wow Dana sounds like quite the operation...I have about 400 left and they too are finally starting to flower...expect a lot of white and pinks...that's what I have exerienced so far.
Davie
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 18, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6832780

heres the one from woman from thailand even the new growth is the same

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 18, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6832791

Davie I saw a few of yours I would have been proud to say I grew those! I love the weird ones that first on is really neat can't wait to see what its going to look like when it gets bigger
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 18, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6833904

Clare I don't pot mine up as fast as you do. room wise I keep them in as small of a pot as I long as I can they are in 3 gallon pots that they are going to bloom in. Other people here that grow seedlings here do the same I have bought them like I need to buy any more 5 ft in 3gallon size. During the summer I have lots of room but winter time when they all get in the green house its going to be tight.
I notice on yours they aren't leafed out is it slow starting with the heat or like Conn. very cool summer? I bought some butterfly gold seed any of them with a huge flower like thats well worth having. And I am done with the seed for years to come there should be flowers coming. :) Like to see this one flower

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 18, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6835078

Hi Davie! That's smart. Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the growth habit of many of my seedlings, but I thought that was just the nature of most seedlings -- other than seeds sown from compact varieties. I don't know if cuttings taken from these seedlings higher up on the tree will have the same growth habit without the tap root. I do have some cuttings of my seedlings that were accidental breakage when I moved so I guess I'll see if I hold on to them.

I've run out of room here so I'm going to plant some of my larger tree seedlings even though I've never seen them flower. If they end up having dud flowers, I'll just use the tips to graft other cultivars onto them.

You do have some nice seedling flowers, Davie. I am looking forward to seeing what you produce in the future.

I think Abigail seedlings are pretty desireable from the hybridizer's standpoint in that they bloom sooner than most seedlings and they stay compact.

Dana, your variegated ones are very pretty. I'm not sowing anymore plumeria seeds either. With my dry climate, 3- and 5-gallon containers end up being too small for my seedlings. They dry out and topple over in the first wind that comes by, and we get wind here just about every day. I've sunk them in the past, but the roots end up growing out the drainage holes, and then I have to cut off the pot when transplanting.

That picture was taken while they were still dormant. They have all their leaves now. Here are three of them below. The one on the right had black tip when it was a baby seedling. Pinching out the black tip created the four main branches that you see on it.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6843994

I got some seeds from Phicks around Christmas time, three of the 4 I planted survived my newbie skills.

Darla

Thumbnail by Darlacooper

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 21, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6844071

They look ood and healthy !
Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6847207

Good Afternoon All, This is my most different from the others. Most of my seedlings are single stalks or stems. I currently have 82 seedlings sprouted. When should I move them up to next size pot? What should next size pot be? They are currently in 8 oz clear plastic cups. I will post another pic so you get a better idea of overall size. Thanks

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6847228

Another View

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6847243

Close up for size

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6847309

They look great Evansnana! You've got a lot of work ahead of you! LOL! The should go into one-gallon containers as soon as possible (see pictures for example), and then you can put them into five-gallon containers next spring.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 21, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6847969

Evansnana you have some healthy looking babies the one you showed first are they connected I have had 2 come from one seed yours looks like you got 3 from one seed! how cool is that. You were lucky not to have what they call damp off The last 5oo I did I had that problem. I usally would buy those peat pellets they work really well never had a problem. But tried to be cheap and used potting soil proably 75 out of 500 rotted at the soil line. belive it or not they rooted in seed starting mix and are doing good just a pain to go threw. The last one for size looks like alot of mine you buy 100 seeds? I always seperate them then you can figure what you have they don't mix them up so much as I would like. Blonde color dark color red color even white seed then you go by size of seed. I do this everytime usally the ones that look the same are from that pod of a certain plant. I think this is the color of yours. I have been repotting for a week now and still have the little ones to do burnt out with it for the time being thanks for sharing :)

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 22, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6851656

I have been waiting on a seedling to open today or tomorrow for sure its dragging it out for me. had to take a sneak peek it has red alone the edge of leaf I always used this for what color flower will be doesn't work. Didn't on hawain flag it would have been a white if this was true the flowers going to be a yellow bright yellow with the edge red as always

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6851787

That is so exciting!
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6860362

a few of mine these are mixed from indochina

Thumbnail by phicks

josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 25, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6863799

This is a seedling I have that is different in two ways. One the leaves grow almost straigth up and second, they are red veined. The back of the leaves have a bronze cast.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2009 12:55 PM

Thumbnail by josegabriele

josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 25, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6863813

Here is another picture of the leaves of the same plant. The inflo on this plant better be on a long stem or it will be hard to see.

josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 25, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6863833

This is another seedling, I was thinking of making a bonzai. It has split into three branches and appears to be slow growing.

josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 25, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6863845

Lastly, this seedlings leaves are a lot more brown than it appears in this photo.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 25, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6864184

very neat I know my camera doesn't cature the true colors in alot of things too. Those are really neat! The branchers I think are going to be compact plants more like a bush which is ok with me. Some of the tips on mine are really black looking not sick just that dark. And some are almost a really dark red. You do the same thing as me crowd them that can be a bad thing rust or anything for that matter once it starts its like a fire no stopping it . I just seperated mine to move up the pot sizes. That is strange about that one with its leaves standing straight up

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 28, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6876829

And here it is Just a plain yellow couldn't get that lucky but I have seen worse so I am thankful lol On the bright side have alot more with inflos so I still could get something decent yet

Thumbnail by Danasplants

josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 29, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6877992

Here is another odd seedling that is similar to your first picture. I have had seedlings branch at the nodes before, but never as much of a separation from the tip to the first branch. These are a ways down on the main stem.

I had not noticed the branches previously because it was crowded by other plants.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 9:26 PM

josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 29, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6878001

Here is a closer look at the bottom branches.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 29, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #6879066

Thats pretty neat too The first picture is actully 2 different plants I have never seen another like it Haven't you ever planted a seed and you get 2 plants from 1 seed thats the case with the first one. But the one grew inside the other weirdest thing I ever saw the out side one flated its self to compensate for the other. Thats right didn't you get 3 plants from one seed? 3 for 1 can't beat that

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
10:52 AM

Post #6879070

Even though it appears 'just yellow' now - you need to wait for the subsequent bloom cycles to see what the bloom will look like. It is said not until the third bloom cycle can you be assured that what you have will stay that way.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 29, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6880478

Jose I have some like that the have leaves are usally red very dark maroon its like its a dye that bleeds into the leaves we will just have to wait and see what it means. Dutch Lady do you mean that these flowers could change that much in a few cycles? To me it is alot of fun watching these things grow specailly the weird ones

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6880495

Seedlings are not considered 'stable' in their coloration and shape, until the third bloom cycle. There are stories of seedlings starting out white the first year and ending up red by year three. So - persist! and have patience :-)
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6880767

Hetty in your experience could the flower change from white and yellow to a colored form? Have you seen this happen?
Davie
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6880877

I have not seen it happen but I have heard it described.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 10, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6930387

Here is another seedling thats just opened up but I didnot catch it when it first did. Yesterday it was white with pink veins almost a pink blush to the yellow. But today it is really faded have to try to catch the next one when it opens

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 10, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6930400

Not my seedling but love the big flowers. Salomon fluff spelling might not be correct

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6930855

That seedling could still change a bit with more color, Dana. I love 'Samoan Fluff' too.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 13, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6940214

Heres one that has been blooming for a while

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 13, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6940220

a seedling thats going to actally flower and not nub. Going to keep my eye on this one from the color of the buds its got to be a good one.

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 13, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6940228

I watched this one start off green and turn this color this is the one that looks like confetti

Thumbnail by Danasplants

x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 13, 2009
7:43 AM

Post #6941336

Hello everyone, I enjoy looking at all these different plumeria seedlings. Very nice...:D
I have one that is different from the rest of my seedlings. Just planted it this April 2009 so it's still small. It's in a 4" pot.

Thumbnail by x4gardening

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 13, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6941518

very neat! seems to me this last year I am seeing alot of pink which you have on yours too. It will be fun watching that one grow its amazing that it is only 4 months old.
x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 13, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6942774

Here is the flip side of the seedling. It's little trunk is flat (sorta) not a rounded trunk like the normal ones. I have it in full sun. Gave it some worm castings...seems to like it a lot.

Thumbnail by x4gardening

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 13, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6943235

taking a closer look at yours its alot like some of mine notice the texture of the leaves not smooth that color pink just keeps popping up and the lines in the stalk very weird. And when I am looking at mine you can tell the branchers by looking for the flatness. its almost like there were 2 that are joined you can see the line in the middle. At the rate yours is going your going to have a cool little bush in no time. Some of the weird ones I have have the same different texure in the leaf it seems as though there changeing look at Clares with all those branches somethings in the water lol

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 13, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6943639

seedling has just a few more buds to go but they have good lasting quality

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 14, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6946543

caught this one this afternoon after it opened. just has a hint of pink really didn't smell much either :(

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6947071

Thought I'd jump in here--my Gold Marble started blooming and my Maya and Anyamani both have inflos. Here's a pic of GM.

Clare you look like you are like me--in 'Seedling Hades'. One doesn' realize how quickly they see to multiply!

Brad

Thumbnail by Ncasselberryfla

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 15, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6947714

Very nice hope mine flowers soon:)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 15, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6948339

Hi Brad! Nice too see you here.

I've really enjoyed the pictures that you've posted on MPG. Your 'Gold Marble' is really pretty, and I read what you said over at MPG about the scent being strong, which makes it a keeper.

Yeah, seedlings are a pain. I have a couple that I really like of my own, but the rest were duds or just average.

Kukiat's seedlings, on the other hand, are some of the most beautiful flowers that I've ever seen, and I am so thrilled to own those.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 15, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6948901

But I wonder how many he had to grow to get the ones that he ended up with?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 15, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6949604

Yes, Dana, you are right. You have to sow thousands of seeds for a few good ones. The key is to start with premium seeds. I think some have found that seeds from average cultivars tend to yield less-than-average flowers. Certain premium named varieties have shown to produce excellent progeny -- for example, Penang Peach, etc. Mixed seeds are a gamble in my view.
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6950060

Maui Beauty als has some good progeny! Two of my unamed seedlings are really nice and are from MB. Luc also has several cvs from MB.

Here's my first seedling I am keeping. It starts out as sort of a rainbow then develops this HUGE orange center as the flower ages. Flowers are close to 4 inches. I will show the new flower first, followed by older flowers.

Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6950062

Faded...

Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6950070

MB Seedling #2---took this one near dusk--really makes the colors pop! This flower is 4 inches and, like the other, has a very crisp, sweet fragrance,

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2009
7:39 AM

Post #6952123

Wow! I would keep those too! Great job. They're both beautiful. Better start thinking of some names if you haven't already;-)
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 16, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6953136

I have a couple mine lol
x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 22, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6976315

I saw Evansnana have a set of triplets w/c I think is pretty neat to have 3 plumerias come out of 1 seed. I wonder how their flowers will look.
I have no triplets but I do have 3 sets of twins. ~_~
Has anyone experienced twins or triplets flower for them? If so, are the flowers similar or very different?

Thumbnail by x4gardening

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 22, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6976323

My thoughts you should be able to tell by looking at the plants ,stalks leaves and get a idea

Thumbnail by Danasplants

x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 22, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6976357

Top View of 3 of my most colored seedlings.
I'm sure I have other colors but these 3 stands out.
One is a pretty green.
The other is very reddish
And another started off with a light set of leaves (that grew that way for some time) with almost whitish color and the other leaves that came out are almost a lime color. It's not malnourished or under watered and the only fertilizer they have had is a lot of worm castings. I just upgraded it to a 6" pot b/c it's growing faster than some of the others (side wards). It's on the chubby side. But as you can see, the whitish leaves are still thriving.

Thumbnail by x4gardening

x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 22, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6976358

Side view of the 3

Thumbnail by x4gardening

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 22, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6976401

I've never seen more than one plumeria come out of one seed. I think there must have been two or more seeds that were planted and germinated. I don't think it's possible for two or even three trees to come out of one seed. JMHO.
x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 22, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6976473

Nope...just one seed per pot.
If you look at Evansnana above Post #6847207 (the 19th posting on this thread going down from the tp) you'll see her seedling. It has 3 coming out. That's how mine looked when it was coming out.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 22, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6976563

I have had 2 come out of 1 seed The begining of this post was 2 that same from same seed and one grew inside the other. Trust me it happens. As far as the white leaves Clares proably tired of writing this the plant its self is lacking in something this will pass feed it. I have the lime green seedlings too I'm watching this too if a new leaf somes out this color and the leaf gets bigger this color stays the same and never changes might be something to it. Just have to wait and see. I was repotting some today its fun to watch them the difference in colors and growth habits :)

Thumbnail by Danasplants

x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 22, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6976838

Hmmm...
I wonder what my lime green seedling could possibly want. It's already chunky. Has lots of yummy worm castings. Full sun, morning dew...
Lots of Luv and attention...~_~
It is rewarding to watch them grow. This is our first yr. growing from seeds and it's been interesting. So many different characteristics involved...
Do you still have your twins Danasplants? If so, how are they doing? Or did you separate them? Thought of separating my twins at one point but didn't want to chance it. I figure I'll keep them growing together and watch them flower. Way down the road but I can wait.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 22, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6976860

Interesting. I would separate them and give them their own separate pot so they have the best chance of growing. Even if, when you separate them, most of the roots go with one seedling. The other one will develop roots quickly.

I've rooted teeny tiny seedlings without any problem. I had some seedlings become desiccated at the soil line when they got too dry; so I cut them above the dried part and stuck them back in the soil, and they all took root in no time, and some of these were no bigger than an inch long.

Dana is right: It's a deficiency of some sort -- possibly iron. It will pass.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 23, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6977408

X4 I have planted over a thousand seeds just this year gulton for punishment lol I have seen all kinds of color verations 3 yrs ago I had the same thing thought I really had some thing new was hopeing beginers luck. No in a yr or 2 you won't evenknow were that one is. . Now the lime green one it might hang in there mine has I am keeping an eye on it. The one with the red stalk you have I have a bunch of those when you get 500 seeds at a time you get more than 10-20 from that pod they give you lots. I seperate the seeds by color and size before I plant them. They usally are color, size are from one pod not good mixes say 50 from that one plant it does work good though that way 50-60 red stalk that many almost all tips black but the seeds that I bought 2- 500 bunches are compact plumeria small rounded leaves. When i first got into this they were huge leaves now there small and more round than pointed. And if you will notice some of them are rust proof they have no rust, keeper for sure just on that fact. I hate rust don't like dealing with it or the expense were the one seedling next to its covered weird. This is one I look forward to blooming every year huge flower this is its first flower this year :)

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 8:25 AM

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6979018

Good Morning All, I wanted to show you some of my babies now, call it an update if you want. This is one of the reasons I love Dave's Garden, a chance to share our success's and uh-hum, failures. Not to mention all that I've learned from those far more experienced than me. The first one is the above mentioned three from one seed. I try to be very careful when planting. I assure you there was only one seed in the cup at planting. It is from "Salmon Pink" seeds. I didn't realize it was such an oddity. This is my first experience growing plumeria's from seed. I was given a potted plumeria six years ago when we bought our new house. Finally, Finally this year it is about to flower. That is the second and third picture. I also have one of those mentioned that seems to be more white leaved than green. It is from "Purple" seed. It is picture # four. Most come this beautiful solid green, although I wonder what makes his leaves crinkle like that. Any suggestions? And seedling picture # six is a "Mai Thai" Thanks for letting me share- Julia

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6979043

First Bloom

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6979050

Another Shot

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6979059

The light baby. I know it's not sunburn, they live in the greenhouse for now.

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6979065

Beautiful green

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6979070

Mai Thai

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Evansnana
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6979074

OK last one for now

Thumbnail by Evansnana

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 23, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6979200

I look at it this way most of us buy are seeds from ebay from thailand they say there purple ,orange or this or that chances are its a crap shoot. Same as you buy grafted plants from there dirt cheap. Some of us pay decent money some not. These plants might not flower for a couple yrs or more. Whats the chances there going to look like the picture you bought thats why I went crazy with the seeds. There are honest people out there that are gardeners and theres the other peole. All i all its alot of fun just don't expect too much and you will never be disapointed :) The last seeds I bought were butterfly gold seeds this is a very young seedling after I bought these I said no more seeds and I am done I figured any flower thats that big worth it weight in gold love the big flowers. This little guy caught my attention butterfly leaf lol all ready and branching too!

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 23, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6979219

Here is the first one that came from 1 seed that grew into the other one I sererated them proably should have left it alone

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 23, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6979222

Heres another shot of it

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 23, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6979230

Another funny one growing under ground instead of on top fat at bottom and pointed on top

Thumbnail by Danasplants

x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 23, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6979722

Evensnana...Nice seedlings you have there... We lived in Houston, Tx. Winter of 2007 is when we got our 1st plumeria. Plumerias love the rain there. Catch the water and give it to them babies. They just absolutely grow after each rain storm (all the plants do).
First timer gets a triplet plumeria seedling... That's pretty cool. I got 3 sets of twins. Something for us newbies to remember down the road when we get a few dozen of these occurrences our twins and trips will be in bloom already. Thnx 4 sharing
Here's a picture of the runt in the center, planted the same time as the others. Who knows, it may just take off next spring. ~_~

Thumbnail by x4gardening

x4gardening
Hesperia, CA

August 23, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6979857

Danasp...
You are absolutely right... Chimes of wisdom, if we don't expect too much we will never be disappointed.
Enjoying what I have…~_~
Plus all the pictures of everyone's seedlings...

Thumbnail by x4gardening

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America