Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: Any Idea About This Jewelry?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 6, Views: 274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6828013

This belonged to my great aunt. Can you tell me anything about it, like how old it might be, if the style has any kind of story, or whatever? It was in the box that it is sitting on, which says "Islamic Bazaar Trinidad". There are no markings of any kind on the pin, so I'm guessing it is silver plate and not sterling silver. It is about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I doubt that it is particularly valuable but I think it is an interesting, intricate little piece of work.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6828016

This is the back.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

July 16, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6828211

kind of the art deco era, filigree brooch. Sorry I have no idea of the value.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6840154

it looks to be silver not plated and it is probably worth two to three hundred dollars maybe more depending who the maker is
VickieP
Rutherfordton, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #7237086

This is not a sure-fire test but try to pick up the pin with a magnet. If it "sticks" to the magnet, it is not silver. Sterling and high content silver will not stick. (But then, neither will brass.) Whether silverplate sticks or not depends on the weight of silver plating. It usually sticks because of the metal under the plate. I sell antique jewelry & this is a lovely pin. Values vary greatly across the US. I could probably price it around $75 without examining it here in southern NC.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

November 5, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7244777

back then, I don't think they had to mark silver, so it is possible that it is silver. There are antique jewelry stores everywhere, try to find someone who owns one or who deals in older jewelry, see if you can get them to look at it for you. Also, you could look for a dealer online and send them a photo. Some don't charge just to look.

If you go to stores like Barnes&Noble, they have dozens of books on old collectable jewelry - maybe you could find something similar there.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7245994

it look to be 1920s or so I think it maybe worth as much as a 1200 dollars since I did a bit of research on similar jewelry

I think its beautifull and you should enjoy it

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America