Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage: Wrinkled lilac bush leaves

Communities > Forums > Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage
bookmark
Forum: Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect DamageReplies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanagail54
Lexington, KY

July 17, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6829362

Hell-o,
I have a huge lilac bush that did not bloom this year, it is 3 years old.
The leaves (most of them) are all wrinkled and curly, but the bush seems to be thriving.
It is growing well and seems to be healthy, except for the wrinkle, curling leaves.
The leaves also have a whiteish powder looking coating on them.
What can I do to prevent this problem from killing my beautiful bush?
Please help,
Thank you so much,
Gail Lopez

P.S. I live in central KY if that helps any,,,THANKS!
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2009
10:30 AM

Post #6829848

Hi Gail,
Your lilac has powdery mildew, a very common affliction to deciduous ornamentals. It is not a fatal condition, but it WILL cause early defoliation and the shrub will look unsightly.
The curled leaves are the first indication of fungal infection, followed by the white powder you see on the remaining leaves. Powdery mildew thrives in moderately warm, moist, shady, overcrowded conditions, so to some degree, you can't do much about the weather-related factors.
It will not harm a mature plant such as yours, so I would advise leaving it alone. Next year before the leaves begin to emerge, prune it carefully to allow good air circulation, and clear away any other shrubs encroaching upon it.
This fact sheet from Ohio State University tells you all you need to know. Good luck!
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3047.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Who Did That? Identifying Insect Damage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant chewing insects redladybug 3 Mar 30, 2009 8:57 PM
Blister Bugs grits74571 0 Mar 30, 2009 12:22 PM
webworms vossner 1 Mar 30, 2009 2:56 PM
Good Article DonM47 1 Mar 30, 2009 7:38 PM
Yellow caterpillar mamasita 0 Mar 30, 2009 9:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America