Dressage Picture!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Labelled & identified for porkpal, so she knows it's good news!

Check out show picture! That's ME!! Oh yeah, and Ransom.. LOL

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Richmond, TX

Very supple and fluid looking; no wonder you scored over 60%! Now if only the rider looked more pleased...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Rider had just been told she screwed up.. went off-test... =)

That's normal for me. I have to concentrate even more to look happy...

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

giggle! Congrats AS!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Looking great, AS!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You look great up there!!! Almost completely natural.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've got more.. I'll share next week. A cool side-on trot shot, and a nice relaxed smiling me up on him..

Oh, and a canter shot that is to DIE for! Hanging it on the wall in an 8 x 10 ! It's soo mucho cool

OH ! And a cute SO picture I might be talked into sharing.. wink wink.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Very nice photo - I love it when they have photographers on hand to capture some candids. FWIW, I have a tendency to purse/bite my lips when concentrating, too, so I have a bunch of riding / dog-showing pic's of me doing that. It's just one of those things that you don't know you're doing unless someone points it out. I don't think I'll ever be able to 'fix' that for myself, though I've certainly tried and tried and tried!!! LOL

Okay, now to be nit-picky, so please take it in the manner in which it is meant. Given that dressage is all about tiny details, here are a couple that I see in that particular photo: Watch your elbows coming forward. Also, be careful with your hands - they have rotated to palms down in that photo. Also, try to bring your shoulders back and chest out a bit; that should ultimately help you sit deeper into your seat and will also make it easier to maintain your elbows in the correct position, even when things get a little dicey... Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. You probably were doing all of that correctly for 99% of your tests and just happened to get caught a little out of wack in this picture. :) Forgive me anyway! lol

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Nit Pick.. It's okay. The judge sure as shoot did! LOL

Elbows are bent, which, for me, is progress.

I've been told (and have brainwashed BF to look for) what I call "shopping cart hands". It is a bad habit of mine.. agreed.

Shoulders are slouched, ain't they... EW! Thanks.. didn't see that on first look.

All comments appreciated.. and, no, they weren't good on all the other spots but this picture. I'm sure those three things were wrong in almost all the tests. Surprised the judge didn't ding me for it.

:) Photographs taken by friend that came to the show with BF and I just to help a little groom & mostly take pictures. I gots some ya'll will LOVE!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Just so ya know, it takes YEARS and YEARS to fix these hand/shoulder/elbow details, so ANY progress at all is something you should be proud of. So congrat's on bending your elbows! Trust me, even the Grand Prix riders get yelled at by their trainers for such basic errors. heh

Looking forward to more pictures.

Gotta go run some errands.

ciao
w

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Another thought -- if you should ever have the opportunity to watch your own trainer ride in her lessons with her trainer, DO IT. Watch, Listen, Take Notes.

Now I'm signing off for real...

I'd hate to see me, but it must definitely help to get some feedback!

I rode KK today and I was a jitter. He was fine. I must've looked like a psycho.

I should've known better than to try anything with Cyn after KK. But all is well.

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

how did KK go for you? were you bold enough to try a canter?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Photo Fave #2 --- Canter in the warmup arena as a final act of the day...

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

And favorite #1 (entirely completely UN horse related) so humor me anyways, folks...

During the afternoon clean up, BF stayed at the trailer, packing up a few things. A lady walked up to him, and said, "You must be a dressage dad!" He replied, "Um, no, I'm here with my girlfriend, though." She answered him, "Well, then, she must have you pretty well trained. I can't even get my husband to any of my shows!"

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Photo of smiling horse & rider...

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Rewarding the Big Fella for a job well done.

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

one more.. I swear I'll stop.

Thumbnail by AngelSong

Awesome pics! No need to stop!

G- KK did fine and yes we cantered. I did lunge him for literally the few moments it took to get him cocking an ear at me though. You may be right about not needing to lunge first. It was a short ride though as none of my saddles fit him. They're either too long (his rear forward stride hit it) or pinching the top shoulder area. He was still good with the quarter barred one, despite it's pinching, but I'll either try my hunter on him or find a saddle that does fit him.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2009 11:17 AM

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

AG, don't throw BF back! He sounds like a keeper if he'll help at shows and pack the tailer too.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

He not only helped at the show & helped with the trailer.. He drove! =)

If you catch the blog any time, you'll see the nice-ness with BF extends beyond the horse shows. =) He's a keeper, for sure... We've both got our less than redeeming qualities, but he's quite patient with my hobby, and I make sure he knows I appreciate it.

Taking him home to meet the Fam this weekend...

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DH is my driver too. He's learning the other stuff, and I'm learning to tell him what is needed.

You are spoiled! Green here....

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I'm told that daily.. Spoiled by my horse and my sweetheart.
Of course, very sarcastically, I remind them they are the same... spoiled rotten!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Can Ya'll do's me a favor? Look at this one, and tell me... Does he look thin? The lady I got him from was emailed a handful of these shots, and is still fussing at me he's "still light". He had ribs & hips showing when I got him, and I've been working hard, balacing feed, rice bran, "cool calories" smartpak supplement.. It's getting a little frustrating.. I don't want him to get quick-fat, I want him to add weight smart..

ideas? opinions?

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

her latest email to me after seeing some of the pictures.
Hello, there, so good talking too you,,, I am so glad you are enjoying Ransom,, I am home next week, and Leslie and Maya are also coaching,, this will really help the dressage, it is so hard on your own,,, I know,,,,, Anyway,, Ransom still needs loads of weight,,, he is far too thin, to even carry a dressage frame,, and I know you are doing what you can,,, If you want, you can leave him up here with me for a few months, and let me get him back on the special feed, I know he is a hard guy to put the pounds on,, but even a 100lbs would really help,, hugs too you

My horses are all small and don't look like TBs, but I would think him on the thin side....nothing huge, but....What feed are you using? You could maybe go with a higher fat feed, put him on a weight gain supplement, or add oil?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

feed blend ("CAN" is a full size coffee can)

TWICE daily
1.5 cans 12/8 pellets
0.5 can rice bran meal
"cool calories" supplement
smartflex senior supplement
2 flakes coastal hay

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

older picture for reference... day after I got him home.

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Richmond, TX

I think he looks fine; lean and fit. However I would be inclined to feed free choice hay unless he's on good pasture all day. Another good weight gain plan is to feed the same amount of feed split into more meals - three or four a day instead of two. However that may not fit your lifestyle very well. I wouldn't worry about him; most people keep their animals much too fat.

Richmond, TX

He certainly looks much better under your care. A lot more muscle! Keep up the good work - just add hay, perhaps.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

He isn't locked in a stall, either. He's out on natural grasses, all day. I've got as much grass as God's giving me rain right now. Can't make more than that, unfortunately.

It's hard to feed more often.. =) (this next little paragraph is meant as pure sarcasm.. please do not be offended, any of ya'll)

But I gots me this darn thing.. called a JOB. It takes me away from the house most of the darn day.. But there's these benefits, ya see.. called PAYCHECK. Those there monies, they go to buy horse feed, hay, dog food, cat food, and people's foods. Every so often, they buys me clothes without holes in them, and a nice dinner out somewheres..

Sorry.. soapbox. I just get frustrated, living out in the @#*&^ boonies where there is ZERO Board options available, and the boys live at the house. I don't have anyone to feed mid day that wouldn't either charge an arm & six legs to drive to feed them, and/or be qualified enough to actually measure the right thing..

Reasonably, if I could find a round bale worth any freaking quality, I'd dump it out there. But as I typed that last sentence, it occurred to me - he leaves hay sit almost every meal. Romeo, on the other hand, gobbles up every bite, and doesn't leave any go. For that matter, there's usually a little rice bran left in his bucket after each meal (that he sometimes does, sometimes doesn't finish later on).

When I was trying to put weight on Lacy? I was feeding her 7-9 lbs of feed per day (XTN which is 12/12). One of my scoops held 1.5 lbs of it and she got a scoop and a half 3 - 4 x's per day as I could. Then pasture and 3 flakes of timothy alfalfa mix or straight alfalfa 3x's per day. I'd imagine that my scoop and a half would equal one of those large coffee cans.... but your feed could also cause a variance due to moisture weight, age, etc.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 9:55 AM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought that he looked in good weight in those recent pic's, though adding some weight wouldn't hurt either. He is certainly in much better condition now than when you got him.

Actually, the one thing I'd try to work on were he mine, is to improve his topline. If you continue working him in dressage in a correct frame (not forced, but ridden true as I believe you are training) his topline will muscle up. It's the top of his neck that I'd like to see some more muscle on, but that's just me.

For weight gain, I'm thinking that if you simply increase whichever groceries that he *likes* to eat (doesn't leave behind) then that might do the trick. It appears that you are riding him quite regularly, so it's unlikely that he'll put on 'bad' weight under that kind of workload(?). Dunno, I think we have a tendency to over-think things because we want to do the best for our animules. I know that I do. Sometimes my friends/trainers will give me a bit of a 'half-halt' to bring me back down to Earth. heh

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

another shot, 6/12/09
I think the 6/12 shot vs the lunge line 7/12 shot above shows progress... but I'm starting to think I don't know anything... =(

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

So... is it a gain muscle problem, or a gain fat problem? This is I think where I get confused and frustrated.

I know he needs muscle - he needs a behind, more neck... I get all that. Understood that he's under-muscled. But isn't that different than gaining fat weight?

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

what type of horse is he? and does the weight match his breed. my bf has dressage horses that are hanoverian and then a thoroughbred stallion. very differnt body types and different feeds. the stallion is one step below pre st george.

Alex

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

aqha appendix.. see thread titled "Understanding Ransom" for more details.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

It's kind of both and they will gradually come in time, as you've already seen from the progress he's made already. Here's where patience will truly have to come in. Just continue your current training regime, but add groceries (if he'll eat them!). I would level things off when his ribs become less prominent, but the muscle will continue improving as you train.

Oh, and the neck/topline thing will take plenty of T-I-M-E, so don't (giggle) obsess over it. Look at the toplines on the various horses at your future dressage shows and note the differences btwn young/low level and older, well conditioned upper level horses (who are ridden correctly/classically).

Okay, I've gotta fly. Hope I haven't caused more strife. I think you're on the right track and, btw, we all feel like we know nothing. It's because we continue to learn.

Have a good one
w

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

No strife... Just confusion.

Ribs? Where? On the show shots? Serious? Help me see .. because I look at him daily, and I don't see ribs anymore.. used to, yes. now? No.. just not seeing it.

I know there are ribs on that 6/12 shot.. no doubt. But the 7/12 show images? really?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images