AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6830736

Last weekend I sowed all the old seeds I had of broccoli, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, collards and beets.

To my delight some of them have already sprouted!

So, if you are wondering whether or not your old seed will grow, give them a try - you never know...

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to transplant all those seedlings to.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6830764

How old are the seeds and where did you store them?
Jonna

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6830861

Some where dated 2007 and some were dated 2008. They were stored in their originaly packages - most of those packages were opened, some were not. They have been hanging around with no special attention.

The packages that were opened - I had planted seeds from them during the year the package was dated - so none of opened packages were full.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6832619

I store my seed packs in a zip lock or a jar with a lid. This lets them avoid getting dried out by the heat or A/C in the house. Some people keep theirs in the refrigerator in an airtight container because some seeds benefit from the cold treatment that mimics the winter. Most will stay viable for years if you control moisture and heat.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6835420

some seeds are good for years depends what kind ----- Paul
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6836099

I sowed some flower seeds I've had for about 10 years and some germinated, so you just never know.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #6836841

HoneybeeNC,
So your cole crop seeds are up already! I have all new fresh seeds and planned to sow this weekend, but we FINALLY got a hard rain today.

Did you direct sow in the ground or in containers, or did you start 'em inside under lights?

Linda

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6841734

Gymgirl - I sowed them in shallow rows, and covered them with a lightweight row cover. Hubby has been watering them three times a day to be sure they don't dry out. I checked them again this weekend and they look strong and healthy.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7664192

On March 20th I sowed some 2009 seeds of melons and herbs. One package of Sweet Marjoram was even a 2008. I'm happy to say the seeds are sprouting.

So don't be afraid to sow "old seed"

Incidentally, I store the seeds in their original packages in a cardboard box on the counter. Nothing special - just make sure they stay dry.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7664271

I plan on saving my seeds in old pill bottles. Does anyone foresee a problem doing this? We have LOTS of pill bottles (the brown pharmacy bottles)...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7664288

Gymgirl - I have often thought of doing this, but am not so well organized. I'd have to put the seeds in the bottles, and label them.

Folding over the edge of the seed package and fastening with a paper clip is sooo much faster (giggle)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7664292

Linda, I know people who store seeds that way. Just keep them cool and out of direct sunlight as the plastic will get hot and sweat... Oh, and make sure your seeds are dry dry dry before placing in said plastic bottle...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7664304

Thanks, Kell!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7664798

My house gets dry when I'm using heat or a/c so I store the packages in wide mouth jars and coffee cans, with lids. I have lots of seeds so I try to organize them. Peppers, herbs and flowers. Tomatoes. Squash, cukes, melons. Legumes. Cole crops.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

March 29, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7665195

Easy label: Write on masking tape with a marker, before you pull the bit of tape off the roll.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7667334

Girl,
You are just too full of great ideas! You need to spend time compiling them into a book!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7668374

The Homestead tomato seeds that my mother had before she passed away, had the date of 1987. I just transplanted them into 2 6-packs. She did not store them in any special way, just at room temperature.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7668385

Every year I sow seeds that are 5-6 years old I get the same germination rate I never thought of them as old.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7671776

1lisac - are these seeds you have saved from your own vegetables?
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7674250

HoneybeeNC wrote:On March 20th I sowed some 2009 seeds of melons and herbs. One package of Sweet Marjoram was even a 2008. I'm happy to say the seeds are sprouting.

So don't be afraid to sow "old seed"

Incidentally, I store the seeds in their original packages in a cardboard box on the counter. Nothing special - just make sure they stay dry.

1-2 years is not old for melons, cucumbers, gourds and squash or most other seeds. They will stay viable for several years even in less than perfect conditions. Planted some that were 6 years old once. They sprouted and grew like it was their first year. I believe that cucumberaes are one of those types of seeds that have better germination in the second and third years.

Seeds are designed to stay in the soil for a few years until the conditions are right to sprout. That is why whenever you till in the Spring things are sprouting all over. They had been waiting for light, water and air to get them going. Soil conditions can vary widely from cold to hot, wet to dry with tons of microbes. If seeds can survive this, then a container in the house is fine.

Holding seed over for the next year doesn't make a bit of difference. Do this all the time with no problem.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7755742

HB-Sorry I didn't post sooner. For the most part these are seeds I bought a few are from my garden. To be honest I don't have the patience to save my own seeds.
Lisa

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7756807

1lisac - I don't have the patience to save seeds, either. I do hold over garlic - I found one in the supermarket that I really liked. It has a hot garlicky taste!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7757152

My old seeds were in various storage areas that my DH moved around, unbeknownst to me...maybe he was afraid I might find them Well his nightmare has come true, as I asked him where he put them, and then found other places where they were as well...as you see, I am not so organized and sometimes he takes over and puts things where I don't know where they are...

Well, all that has changed, well about the seeds anyway. It took a while to organize them and I will be re-organizing them again as well. First into categories...WS - hardy annuals, tender annuals, perennials, biennials, seeds that need stratification...etc., and then alphabetically in their categories, according mainly for sowing dates... As you can surmise, I have been collecting quite a bit of seeds over the past few years, as every year I think I will get started on them and then something happens...I have had several operations which for a while, has even prevented me from living in our home. Now all that has changed, and am now working in the garden, trying to get the weeds out, and add soil amendments to our wonderful hard, clay soil. And getting all the seeds going. Well, I found out...it is impossible for me to start all og them this year...but I have started a garden calendar with proposed sowing dates, found from many different websites...that were very helpful. I never realized how complicated this "hobby" would be. And then, of course, DG as well.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7757225

Evelyn - it's nice to hear that you are back on your feet and into your garden. My hubby "tidies-up" too! Unfortunately, he doesn't remember where he puts things, so I end up buying more of what we already have. The only time things come to light, is when we move.
HelenVT
Charlotte, VT

May 2, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7758430

Wow, I've got some old seed that I'm going to plant now. With my son in college I can cut my garden size by about a half and don't need to use so much seed. He's a tall and hungry guy. I have heard that parsnip loses its ability to germinate very quickly. Anyone with experience with year old parsnip seed?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7760083

Helen, I did not know that about parsnip seed - which could explain why my "old seed" did not sprout last fall!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7760692

I am planting a Homestead tomato, from a seed packet from 1987...I don't think I sowed very many, and for sure Idid not get many, but will count my seeds next time to let you knw the germination rate.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9065370

About a week ago I gathered all my old pea seeds, mixed them together and sowed them in a single 24ft row. Not expecting many to grow, I'm surprised to see that many of them have sprouted!

I think I'll do the same with my old bean seeds in a couple of weeks when the weather settles.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9065499

When I started some new seeds a week ago, I also started some basil and chive seeds from 2007. I'm surprised to see a few of those old seeds actually have sprouted. They were not stored well, just in a box in the house.

I also put a few heirloom Kentucky Wonder bean seeds from a 2007 pack in a damp paper towel to check for germination. It has taken a few days but so far 11 out of 14 have sprouted. I now plan to start the rest of the pack in a few days, still a little early to set out beans here.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9066102

I think from 2010 I had one or two Homestead that made it. Still pretty good for old seed. I had not yet learned how to dry the tomato seeds properly. I will have to practice again this year, but I do have enough seeds for a while, anyway.

I did germinate some old sweet pea seeds planted in November. Some were from 2003, and I think some from 2006. I did not think they would come up so I did not make detailed labels with sowing dates and dates on pkg...20/20 hindsight! :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9066377

I haven't has as much success with saving tomato seeds either. I think I must be letting them ferment too long. I haven't had enough ddecent tomato crops in the last 2 years to save any seeds.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9070105

I live in a fairly humid climate, so I keep my seeds in small Zip-locks inside a series of plastic jars with screw-lids (they used to hold 2 pounds of peanuts.)

To keep them dry, I give eqach jar one coin envelope with 1-2 tablespoons of silica gel in it. That can be dried in the oven and re-used.

I worry about prolonged storage "too dry", but according to humidity cards I have, the RH inside hovers around 10% when the silica gel is fresh, and 10-20% after a few openings.

I hope that the Ziplocks and the paper labels inside them "buffer" the humidity that the seeds experience, so they don;t dry out so much that they die.

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9071488

I have tons of seeds from 06-07. I never considered that old. I just sow them until the package is gone. I do soak them but I never even thought about them being too old.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America