Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: ? about Del Monte jarred fruit

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 25, Views: 389
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6832093

I've been saving the jars from Del Monte's Select Orchard fruit. They look like a canning jar...and I didn't want to throw them out or even recycle...figured REUSING was a better idea.

HOWEVER...I can't seem to find any appropriately sized replacement lids -- ?? --- The brands "Ball" and "Kerr" regular and wide mouth sizes just don't match up.

Just wondering if anybody else reuses these jars and what replacement lid are they using ??

Thanks for any suggestions...

BTW: I sent Del Monte an email asking about this..but it'll probably be next week before I hear anything..if at all.

Thumbnail by jannz2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
8:41 AM

Post #6833707

I do..

Larkie
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6836322

Hi Larkie...

Where did you find 'replacement ' lids ?

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6836382

The regular sized canning jar lids and rings fit them.. They are nice jars & I have a few of them..

Larkie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6840990

I had been told the new jars (not just Del Monte) don't match the standard lids available and it had been done intentionally. Guess those jars are best recycled in other ways... sorry.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6841041

The latest ones I bought was probably 6 months ago, they still work, not sure about very new ones...Even if they don't fit, you could use them for pickles or something, the jar lids that are on them have the rubber in them and will re-seal.. Like peanut butter (glass ones) & pickle jars.. I use them for pickles & they do well..

Larkie
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6847705

I took one of the jars to the store and the regular size lids did NOT fit.

Podster: I can't believe that Del Monte did this ON PURPOSE ??? Geeeez -- They didn't answer my email... I'm going to have to call them and find out the reason. I wouldn't mind if THEY sold replacement lids. I just hate to see the jars not reused properly. I've got dozens of them. I buy those Del Monte peaches and citrus salad products quite a bit.

Larkie... So you're saying I can REUSE the lids that came on the jar originally ??? I do see the rubber seal on the lid...but I didn't think that was safe..??... I've never tried this canning before so have no personal experience. I just thought I read or heard that every year you were supposed to get new lids for safety reasons. ???

I want to try to make those 'bread & butter pickles that have a pepper in the jar -- so they've got a little "kick" to them. You think it's safe to reuse them for this type of pickles ?? How would I know if it wasn't a good seal ??

Thanks
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6848613

Please let us know what they say if you get thru to them? I was getting the mayo jars, marked Ball and lids were close to size but not quite right. I wondered if the food companies didn't want competition from home canners.
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6849463

The idea that Del Monte and perhaps all the manufacturers got me to thinking about WHY they might have on purpose changed their lid sizes...

The Univ of Wisconsin had a PDF article describing safe canning practices and it advised to NOT reuse the jars because the glass may NOT withstand the necessary heat treatment...that boiling water canners might be OK...but NOT pressure canners. --??? --- Don't the manufacturers use heat when THEY can ??

Found this on another forum:

They are not recommended for home canning. They are considered "one trip" jars and meant to be recycled or thrown away.
The glass is thinner than a canning jar. The sealing surface is more rounded, so you don't get as strong of a seal,plus reusing lids is not recommended.

And finally I found this from: http://missvickie.com/canning/jars.html

Recycled jars from the grocery store, also known as packers' jars, are not made for home canning. The jars that contain pickles, mayonnaise or peanut butter are not made for the rigors of home canning. Even though standard home canning lids may seem to fit these jars, the lids may not seal because the glass is not as thick and slightly irregular. The jar neck may be too shallow for a standard home canning band to hold the lid tightly against the jar.

In addition to sealing problems with commercial jars they may also be dangerous. Most of them are made of thin glass and are not heat tempered, as regular home canning jars. They may not withstand the high pressure of canning and break. When you open the canner, the jars may still be under pressure. The quick drop in temperature could cause the recycled jar to explode.

I think I'll just buy some new jars...I'm new at this and I want to 'go by the rules' ...at least for my first try.

Jann

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 9:34 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 9:38 PM

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6849543

For 40 years I have re-used jars with the inside rubber, mainly for pickles and jelly.. No water bath done.

Larkie
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6850232

Larkie...

Is there a significance to your using these jars for 'pickles and jelly' vs something else ??? And when you say 'no water bath done' --- does that mean you didn't boil the jars after you put the ingredients in the jars ??

Thanks so much for your information...and helping to educate me.

Jann
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6851574

A good place to start learning abut modern canning methods is http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6853243

I said pickles and jelly because I don't use the water bath for these...I just boil and fill while very hot into the hot jars..Has always worked for me.. Things that require a water bath, I use lids & rings.Hope I am not confusing you..lol

no water bath means no boiling after jars are filled..

Larkie
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6924664

OK -- found a use for my Del Monte jars.

I made some of my 'Garden Marinara' sauce -- [fresh tomatoes, onions, zuchinni, eggplant, basil, etc] -- put it in jars and took the neighbors with some fresh baked 'Artisan Breads'. They loved it.

My neighbor brought the jar back stacked inside were fresh baked chocolate chip cookies --- and tied around the outside was a simple raffia bow.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2009
7:51 AM

Post #6925205

Nice trade..lol
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2009
8:04 AM

Post #6925213

I'd say that was an excellent use of that jar. I think I'll see if I can hook some cookies. I save jars too.
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6926648

Yea...it WAS a great trade...those cookies were really good.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #7583081

I know this is an older post, but I discovered the same thing on some nice squared-off spaghetti sauce jars. I hate throwing them out, but if the lids won't screw on, there's no sense in keeping them. At least I can recycle them, but...

Now you would think in this environmentally conscious world we live in, that manufacturers would be making sturdy, re-usable jars, capable of withstanding at least a boiling bath, and provide a bold disclaimer to NOT use for pressure canning. (Or make them capable of withstanding pressure canning.) Sheesh. I realize product liability laws put a damper on everything these days, so when will we realize we can't have it both ways?

I remember my mom and grandmother re-using all sorts of jars, especially mayonnaise jars (back when mayo came in a glass jar) to can tomatoes and fruits - things that were safe to can in a water bath - and saving their canning jars for pressure canning.. My guess is that re-use probably factored into her choices of sizes and products they selected.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7586644

Well, if a jar blew up in someone's face when they used it for canning, would you want YOUR name on it?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7586673

A jar made for canning should not blow up ;o)

I understand what you're saying, but it's unfortunate that these jars can't be offered for dual-use. I am happy to recycle everything I can, but I prefer to re-use things whenever possible.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7586826

They're not canning jars, though, not such as we know them. When you think about it, the way they are used in a food factory is really different from how we would use them. The temperatures and handling are highly controlled. I buy glass for packaging my own products and when you see a lot of it, you notice how the cheap glass is uneven all the way around. This together with the fact that it's not very thick is a big problem for heating and cooling. I use old food jars for other things, like storing seeds, buttons, nails, or collecting slugs in the garden, etc.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7586877

I'm simply lamenting the fact that they can't use true canning jars to market their foodstuff. We live in an era where we understand the need to reduce, reuse and recycle. And yet at the same time, a lot of factors (namely cost control and liability laws) have created a situation where companies cannot offer a container that can be reused. That is my whine here ;o)
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7587112

Yeah, I am totally with you on that. If they would pack them in actual canning jars, that would be great. Or if there were some way to bring your old jars in and exchange them for new jars, with a discount, like with soda or milk bottles in some states.
cmace57030

July 31, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8009162

I am wondering if you could use a new lid with the old lid screwed over the top. The lids are just a hair small but the rubber seal but with the lid screwed over the top don't you think it would seal? I have tons of those bottles that I buy at Costco with the peaches in them.

I know some of you old canners must know if this would work.
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #8021097

I have seen christmas lights placed in the jars, with some pot-pour-i or other decorative items (they have to give off little to no heat, and not crammed in so the wires get bent, otherwise it becomes a fire hazard), with a doilly (available at HobbyLobby and Michae's and other craft places for anywhere from $1 to $5) placed over the top and held with a decorative ribbon.

The low heat makes the oils in the pot-pour-ri smell great and it is a beautiful, crafty project and perfect for gift-giving.

That is one use for the store jars...other uses are for air-tight, dry storage, like noodles or dried herbs, or in the craft room for small items like buttons, and the taller jars, like olives, are great to store aluminum crochet hooks and knitting needles. Or in the workshop or garage, to store screws and nails and other small items.

For the painter, keeping opened oil or acrylic paints inside the jars helps to extend the life of the paint. You can also use it to store turpentine or other alcohol/spirit based liquids.

And as suggested above, for gift-giving the "jar" recipes, where all the ingredients are layered in the jar, and decorated with a cute cloth-covered or ribbon-tied lid.

A few ideas, not for the canning area, but still many useful uses, rather than buying the plastic storage items that pollute our planet!
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #8033354

I've decided to reuse these jars for my homemade salsas, marinara, chutneys, etc -- to store in the FRIDGE. I actually like doing that because I can SEE what's inside.

I have a Holiday Salsa that I make with cranberries -- that looks REALLY pretty in these jars. I add a raffia ribbon around the lid when I give as a gift.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America