Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: Snow Hill Salvia

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 7, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6834603

Greetings all. I'm attempting to collect some seeds from my Snow Hill http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80619/ but I'm not sure if I'm finding the seeds. I found the little tiny pods and when I break them open I see what I THINK might be a seed, but these old eyes are starting to fail me. If I had an idea of the size of the seed I'd stand a better chance. I'm wondering if I should be able to see the seed with my eye, or if they're in that powdery stuff that's also inside the pod.

I looked on the Seed Site but couldn't find what I needed. I confess that I might not have been looking in the right place though. Botanical names for all the salvias tend to confuse me.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6835102

Or my next thought is: Is what I thought of as the pod actually the seed? Maybe I shouldn't be squishing it looking for seed.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6835141

English is not my motherlanguage, but I will give it a try. The seedpods are the green (and some) brown ones.
The green ones will not produce viable seeds. You must leave the stems on the plant until the pods are brown.
After that take a paper bag and cut the stems gently off (in that stadium you will loose some of the seeds) and put them
in the paper bag. Let them dry for some time (a few days when you harvested them when wheater was dry, or longer if you harvested them wet). Shake the paper bag well and the seeds will fall down. Throw away the stems. The seeds are black. There will be chaff inbetween. If you only use the seeds for yourself, you can sow them with the chaff. If you want to trade the seeds, its better to clean them further by taking away the chaff.
Btw, I would be interested in seeds of this plant. Please have a look at my have list to see if there is something interesting for you on it.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6835163

Thanks Jonna, your english is just fine!

How big are the actual seeds? Are you telling me that the round things in the picture (like just to the left of where I wrote "seed or seed pod") is actually the seed itself?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6835230

The seeds are rather small, they must fit in the seedpod and every seedpod has several seeds in it. The thing on the left looks like an old bloom. I can't find seeds on your picture.
I grow the usual Salvia nemerosa, but seed collecting is the same as your snow hill.
I can only advise you to do what I wrote before and you will discover the seeds easily. You are in zone 5 and even my Salvia nemerosa seeds aren't ripe yet (I'm in zone 6). The greatest mistake you can make if you collect seeds is harvesting them too soon. Unripe seeds are mostly not viable.
Jonna
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6835258

I do collect a lot of seeds Jonna so I know not to collect them too soon. I was a little concerned with these though because even though you see some green in the picture most of them have already fallen from the plant. Poof, they're gone.

In the picture the thing to the left of the writing is hard...it's what I originally thought was the pod. The parts that are green look like what was holding the bloom, but the actual blooms are long gone. I guess I'll just keep experimenting and hopefully I'll have a 'eureka moment' and it will all become quite clear.

Thanks so much for your help!
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6835362

Every year I harvest my first seeds of Salvia's too early and throw them away afterwards. I also sell my seeds, so I need to deliver good viable seeds. The problem with Salvia's is that a lot of seeds already fall from the plant, but they are not always ripe. This year I have a lot of new Salvia species (well new to me, not really new to others), and I know I must have patience to collect the good seeds. But still I'm sometimes harvesting too early, because I'm afraid too loose the seeds.
Good luck!
Jonna
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #6959878

Are we sure that the plant even produces seeds? According to Plantfiles it is propagated vegetatively. Nothing in your picture looks like seeds to me either, Jane. I'm wondering if the plant is a sterile cultivar.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America