Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hydrangeas: Anyone with CLIMBING HYDRANGEA experience?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 147, Views: 1,225
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6836457

I saw this plant for the first time this year, at a neighbor's home, climbing up the side of her brick home. Even w/o blooms, it was impressive.

Anyway, I found them on clearance this week and bought it. Now that I've thought about it, I should have bought a couple of them. Anyway, I am trying to decide where to plant it. I do not have a brick home, but I have a pergola or I can plant it close to a tree that it can climb on.

Please tell me your experience with your climbing hydrangea, likes and dislikes and where you have it.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6836903

I have one also and don't know what to do with it. I have wanted one for a long time. Now that I have it I don't have any place to plant it. I will be interested in your responses.

Jeanette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6837283

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991952/
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6837560

hmmm. ground cover. that is an interesting idea, but I need those spaces for my regular hydrangea bushes and other shady plants.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6838210

The link that pirl posted talked about using it as a ground cover. I am thinking I might like to do that in my perennial bed like you are talking about your other hydrangeas Lilli. Would it just grow amongst them? I don't know. Or would it try to climb them?

Jeanette
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6839619

Not an expert here, only talking about my personal experience. The climbing hydrangeas have those little "feet" like ivy does. They seem to love brick and other non smoooth surfaces that they can attach to. Mine is growing on a regular old stockade fence. Very smooth surface, so I have to help it go up the fence. I am going to send a baby up a pine in the yard, but be forewarned, they can eventually kill a tree. On the otherhand they are slow growing so the death of the tree may be moot considering our own timeline :)...let the grandchildren worry about it.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6839700

Yes, I've seen their "little feet" as my friend has it growing up her brick house, on the side of the garage where she doesn't have windows. I was eyeing a pine tree today and it looks pretty tall and I'm thinking how pretty it would be to have one climbing up that pine tree. I tried to dig a hole there but the dirt is not good. I'm going to work on that hole after I wet it down some and then modify the dirt.

I don't know - pergola? pine tree?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6840334

I think you ladies should read the other thread that pirl gives the link to before you decide.

It was quite interesting too.

Jeanette
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6840336

I did.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6841055

I was thinking about your idea on having it climb a tree. Seems the trees that I have are pretty old and are using up all the soil around them. I think I would have to cut thru roots etc. and then the plant probably wouldn't get enough nutrients and water to grow.

Jeanette
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6842179

yes, all mine are old too but I plant stuff around my trees all the time and I never have any problem with them. When I moved in my house, my front bed had those tall boxwood bushes. Hate them. They were covering up the windows to the front of my house. I have floor to ceiling windows and couldn't see out of them. So I had my husband cut them down to the ground. Of course they came back and we finally digged them out, When I dig in my front bed, there are still roots under there, but I dig those roots out of the hole that I'm planting and modify the bed with some better soil. Now I have some beautiful hydrangeas, ferns, wood poppies, roof iris, bleeding hearts and hostas. They are all growing fine there.

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6842659

I have mine growing up an old tree. In this pic it's 5 years old. I tried to grow one up a privacy fence and it couldn't climb it because they need a rough surface to cling to and the privacy fence had smooth boards. It grew about 4' high resting against the fence then sprawled 8' to 10' feet out. Because it was taking up a lot of a perennial garden and threatening to devour the rest of it I took it out. But it was so beautiful I started over with a new one planted on the oak. There, it happily climbs.

Thumbnail by snapple45
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7762653

How small was that when started Snapple?

I picked up a climber from Wilkerson Mill Gardens (WMG) the other day but it is over five foot. I hope it climbs to at least ten feet within a few years. They claim to be able to reach 40 feet but that will slow the flower growth..so the lady at WMG tells me.

Incidentally this one is a Moonlight Climbing Hydrangea

This message was edited May 4, 2010 8:30 AM

Thumbnail by kdfisher

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7769561

It was a 1 gal when planted. They don't make any significant upward growth until they have been in the ground for 3 years, regardless of the vine length/height when transplanted. 'Moonlight' is a nice pick. You'll love it. If you have a lawn company that does fertilzation you might consider having them try to avoid getting any high nitrogen fertilzer around the H. petiolatris roots. It doesn't hurt them but they really don't need that much nitrogen, especially a fall lawn feeding. It also discourages flowering over vegetative growth.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7774498

Oh I have a climbing one also. Love all my hydrangeas but this one... Never have gotten one flower! It finally is starting to spread after four or five years? Very pretty leaves on it. I think I will just leave mine as a ground cover. No brick or fence by it. There is a trellis but it is smooth. Guess I made a mistake buying this one! Ronna
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7774521

Geez, I'll be real old and gray to enjoy this one:(

It did come with some healthy buds. Thanks for the input and the fertilizing warnings.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7774660

Mine is at least four years old and not a sign of a bud. I doubt it's grown a foot since I bought it.
man1410
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7776954

I have them on 3 trees in my frontyard. They are about 20 feet up on the trees in 3 years.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7776989

I had two blooms last year. Looks lke about a half dozen this year. I've had it for three or four years.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7777087

wow! Really slow to enjoy the benefits huh? Ronna
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7777128

Slower than a turtle.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7777437

Looks like the difference is the North vs South. LOL, i.e. GA. NY, MI ,NJ
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

May 9, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7777895

This is a Japanese climbing hydrangea. I planted it in that spot growing up a dead dogwood tree that was there. After 3 years the dogwood fell down. I carefully removed it, replaced it with the trellis and a few years later added the brickpath. This hydrangea is now about 14 years old. It took 3 years before I got my first bloom. I love it so much, I have cut away two rooted offshoots and started them up trees in my garden last year.

Thumbnail by rileyobo

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7777897

That's serious inspiration for us who grow them and a gorgeous specimen as well.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7778195

Very beautiful. Is that one plant trained to also go down the other side?? That is some trick. Really a gorgeous plant.

Jeanette
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

May 9, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7778260

Yes, it is just one plant. I keep the inside of the trellis trimmed out.
And I weave the loose vines thru the top as needed.
And in the spring I throw some osmocote around the base of it.
That is it. It is also at the bottom of a small hill the house sits on,
so the downspout water from half the house goes down that hill.
I only water there in August if we are having a drought.
Last year on the left side, I planted a clematis for more color.
It is so small you can not see it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7778269

Which clematis?

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7778315

Very beautiful! Yes, you are an inspiration us all. Have tried everything with mine and am not happy with it.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7778316

Very beautiful! Yes, you are an inspiration us all. Have tried everything with mine and am not happy with it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7778431

Is it just sitting there and not growing much?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7778523

I was given a piece off of a lady's plant a couple of months ago and it was too cold and the ground frozen hard to plant it so I put it in a pot and it really looks good. Am anxious to get it planted out. I think I am going to use it as a ground cover n my perennial bed.

What do you think? Any ayes or nays?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7778569

Aye!

I like the ground cover aspect very much. It's my favorite part of our plant.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7778680

Thanks Pirl. It actually looks like a very vigorously growing plant. The branches about 18 inches long on the plant and roots all along it. I can hardly wait.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7778689

If it's not still windy here tomorrow I'll take a photo of the ground portion of the climbing hydrangea. It's very pretty and now I just might try rooting some cuttings. Hard to think of stunting the growth on a plant just about 3' tall. I'd have to live until I'm 90 to see a flower.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7778705

I bought one last year that had a lot of blossoms on it. It was about 3 feet long. Of course I killed it over the winter. I wanted it grow up the Cedar tree and of course the Cedar tree sucked up all the water anywhere near it so I just couldn't keep enough water for it. I even used the polymer crystals in the hole.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7778710

Why do we have to learn the hard way so often?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7778716

You're right. I should have know what would happen.

I think there are many different kinds of this plant. Guess I will google it and then check PF.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7778821

Mine is the variegated one, 'Miranda'. The leaves are very lovely and if I make it to 90 I'll take photos of the flowers.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7782787

Yes pirl mine is sitting there and not growing very much at all. But very surprided this spring it actually grew over the winter. Been there about 4 years I believe???!!! Ground cover is what I am thinking for ours also. The leaves are very pretty... Neveron blossom on ours. I had two but it went arye Gave it to someone else and they traded it to someone else. Wonder how it is doing now? lol. Ronna
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7782794

For some of us viewing the plant as a lovely ground cover may be the answer and not expecting a 4, 5, or 6 year old plant to look like those speciment plants we might like.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7784457

I've never heard of a climbing Hydrangea killing a tree. They hang more loosely from a tree and don't root in the tree itself like ivy does.

This article concurs.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/vineplants1/p/hydrangea_vine.htm

Dunn Gardens in Seattle has trees that have Hydrangea anomola petiolaris growing in them since the 60's with no harm to the tree

http://www.dunngardens.org/plants/spring/Hydrangea_anomala_Petiolaris.html

My brother and SIL have one that has been growing in a tree at their house for many years. That tree will be removed before too long, though, as it's unstable. The Hydrangea hasn't been cited as the reason, though. And the tree looks healthy to me - it's just leaning.

I'm guessing that when they don't bloom it's because they are in direct competition with the tree for water and nutrients.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7784676

They will attach themselves to a tree, brick, even vinyl with their little "feet". Mine has attached itself to the smooth boards of the fence, which is what I wanted it to do, so I'm okay with it. I don't remember where I read that it can kill a tree, but I know I did. Research changes though, so maybe that thinking has gone by the wayside. It could also be problematic if the wrong tree is chosen. Hydrangeas can get huge (eventually) so a large, sturdy tree is needed for support. As usual, choosing the right location for the plant is the first step to success. Evidently, a Maple should be the last choice as the support.

"Be advised that the aerial roots are very tenacious, clinging to whatever structure is nearby. They also leave a residue that is difficult to remove, which should be considered if planting next to brick, viny siding or wood. Experts caution against planting next to a maple tree, as the climbing hydrangea will compete with the maple tree for moisture."

Food for pre-planting thought ;)

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7784700

And I had someone ask me that question on Sunday because we've all fought with Ivy here.

I definitely agree that it needs a tree that can withstand it's weight because they grow so long. It's getting pretty common, though in the Pacific NW to plant Hydrangeas going up fir trees. And we do love our trees. I'll ask an arborist, next chance I get and see if I can get a more definitive answer. I know that no one wants to lose a tree, for sure.

And I hadn't heard of or seen the residue. That's interesting. I'm not a fan of having anything grow on buildings or fences. I don't want to invite bugs or encourage moisture or have to cut down the vine so I can maintain things.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7784727

I'm hoping the fence and the hydrangea out live me, I KNOW the ivy will :-)
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7784768

Yes! :-)
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7802684

I have mine to climb up a poplar tree.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7805559

I am so delighted we actually have several buds on my climbing hydrangea!!! Can not believe! But I am thrilled. It has really grown quite alot... Will post the first pictures when it opens. Am so happy! Ronna
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7805678

yeah! I'll have to look at mine and see if there are any buds. I have flowers on my shooting star

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7806532

Is that the hydrangea also known as 'Fuji Waterfall'?
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7806552

WOW! I looked that up and it's beautiful. Mine does not have the pink in the middle.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7806590

I'm waiting for mine to bloom. It spent a long time in the mail to me, from a friend in CA a few years ago, and just having it alive and well is a miracle. The one branch I layered took very well so eventually I'll have two of them blooming. I have to remind myself that patience is a virtue.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7806636

I know what you mean. Mine is small too, but I think it will be fine once I put it in the ground. I received late in the fall last year and worried about it being too late to plant because of the cold weather, so I kept it in a container. May be next year we can trade cuttings... I'll see if I can get one to root once it's done blooming.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7806748

We probably have the same exact plant. Check the photo and see the sign that says "Shooting Star". It's at the left side of the plant.

Thumbnail by pirl

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7806866

I don't have a sign. It came from a gardening friend.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7806950

Please read yotedog's explanation here (just to make it more confusing):
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107623/

Looks like we may never know what we have.

As for using the climbing hydrangea as a groundcover, this is what mine looks like:

Thumbnail by pirl

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7806958

is yours variegated? mine is not.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7807033

Yes, it is. The name is 'Miranda'.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7807381

Yeah, Shooting Star and Fuji Waterfall are the same for all practical purposes.

I saw a post last year in which someone said that they found one in the floral section of Whole Foods. I've been looking at floral sections of grocery stores since then and haven't seen it. Then our local expensive nursery had gallon pots for $50 or something crazy like that. Two or three weeks ago I finally found one in our local QFC (now owned by Fred Meyer) grocery stores for $20. It's growing beautifully.

So keep an eye out at your local grocery store floral department for these at a good price.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7807635

I actually buy a good bit of my plants from the grocery store. Sometime, they don't sell as fast and they will put them on clearance - for really good price! Also, I like Lowe's (home improvement store), they have excellent clearance section.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7807639

Mine came from a California supermarket!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #7807651

I got my climbing hydrangea at Lowe's last year on clearance, a 3 gallons container for about $3. I was able to split out 3 plants from it.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7807666

Hey, Pirl - I think my plant tag is exactly the same as yours . . .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7807699

Probably a west coast distributor.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7807708

Looks like a national supplier of the same Hydrangea to non-gardening store channels. That's certainly not the tag you'd get from a nursery.

I'm surprised that there are so many of these out there and that the tag is 'exactly' the same between NY and WA. Must be a good seller and a relatively easy-to-care-for Hydrangea. That's good to hear . . .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7807723

Mine was sent to me by a California friend who bought it in a supermarket out there so there is no NY connection except that I have it as a gift from my friend.

I've never seen it in any nursery here in NY.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7807729

Ah, I missed that. OK. Now your earlier comment makes sense to me. :-)

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7808580

I bought my climber from a local store here called Hardings friendly market!!! 20.00. The buds are getting bigger. I do not even remember what color it is... How long until they open? Now I guess I will ahve to wait some more... Good night Ronna
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

May 26, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7830615

Here is the clematis I started last year. Three blooms on it so far.
And of course the clematis tag is missing. I am hoping it will grow into
the hydrangea and bloom side by side with the hydrangea.

Thumbnail by rileyobo

rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

May 26, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7830618

Here they are together.

Thumbnail by rileyobo

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7830642

that is pretty

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7837313

My buds are still growing really slow at opening... Can not wait. Ronna
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7838298

These climbing hydrangeas certainly keep a person waiting. Mine has about a half dozen blooms but they are all at the bottom of the vine. I figure at this rate, in five years it will be 30 feet high with some blooms at eye level. I better take my vitamins so I'm alive to see it :)
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

May 29, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7838745

I waited 3 years for the first bloom.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7839065

Taking my vitamins, too, Louise. Looks like I'll need them.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7839508

OK, you guys, so tell me how this happens, last year I bought one of these plants in a "gallon" can, what the nurseries call gallon, and it was covered with blooms. Because it was pot bound? So, if that is the case, what is the answer to one in the ground?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7839690

A garden the size of a 1 gallon pot???
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7840885

LOL, guess so. submurging a pot? Root pruning?
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

May 30, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7841633

Maybe they fed it a fertilizer for bloom.
I usually only use a balanced fertilizer.
In the garden I am more interested in developing roots,
so that the plants do well on their own with the water mother nature provides.
Those hoses get heavy :)

Thumbnail by rileyobo

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7841912

SO very pretty!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7841952

For maybe 5 or 6 years, my climbing hydrangea just grew lots of lush foliage but never bloomed. Last year it finally started to bloom. Looks like it's going to bloom annually now. Mine is not planted under a tree, BTW, and I know there are adequate nutrients in the area as I have azaleas, a regular hydrangea, clematis, roses, and iris all blooming quite nicely around it. I'm guessing it (my climbing hydrangea) just needed to reach a certain age and maturity to start blooming, sort of like some varieties of wisteria.

BTW, there are a few different varieties of climbing hydrangea. They probably don't all have identical behavior and characteristics. For instance, some varieties may grow faster and/or start blooming sooner than others.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7842045

I would love to get the variegated ones. I hardly ever see the climbling hydrangeas here. Just lucky last year.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7846925

still waiting for the buds to pop open... Looks like it is getting more. Wow finally going to have some climbing hydrangea flowers... All of my hydrangeas are doing fabulous this year! Must be all the spring rain? Many buds on all. Ronna
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7847146

So glad for you. My Endless Summer looks like it is going to make it, but have 2 variegateds that do not look good. I have a climbing hydrangea in a pot that I need to get into the garden. Going to use it as a groundcover.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7847853

Oh Jnette the leaves are really pretty on these. Mine has really grown this year quit a bit. Have to get some of thise garden clippie things some of the vine is starting to go in the walk way. Do not want to step on it after waiting so long to see some flowers! Ronna
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7847905

We're all jealous, Ronna.

Jnette - would you consider repotting to a size larger and seeing if it blooms? You could always plant it in the earth in fall.

It would probably want a lot of compost in the new pot but it might be worth a try.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7848677

Don't know Pirl, this was just a start given to me from a friend. A cutting off of hers. I don't think it is pot bound now. I put it in a gallon nursery pot when she sent it a few months ago so I doubt it is pot bound.

Guess I could dump it out and see.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7850097

Sorry! I thought yours was in the gallon pot and you thought it was root bound.

Blame it on the sunshine drying up my brain cells.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7850113

I wouldn't mind the sun drying up my brain cells if we had some. Sun that is.

You might have gotten confused over the one I BOUGHT last year that was in a gallon pot and covered with blossoms. I killed that one. LOL, not funny is it. I just wondered what they did to get it to bloom.

Jeanette

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7850119

See that! You got me confused. LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7850169

Well, I am going to go down and see if that place has any of those this year that are blooming like that was. But it might be a while as it is 100 miles away.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7850192

Could you call first so it won't be a wasted trip?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7850645

Well, like I said it won't be soon, and no, I would not go down specifically for that. LOL, I would, but Bob wouldn't.
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

June 9, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7873812

Japanese Climbing Hydrangea now in full bloom.
Wonderful scent also.

Thumbnail by rileyobo

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7873838

Is this in your yard? It is gorgeous. How old is it? You're going to have to raise your arch soon. Nice.
rileyobo
Clarksville, MD

June 9, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7873851

The hydrangea is planted on the right side and is growing up and over.
When it reaches the ground, I will just need to keep it trimmed.
Guess I will have lots of plants for swap meets :)

Here is another photo from the back side.

Thumbnail by rileyobo

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7873927

Wow, Riley, now that's what I'm waiting for. Simply gorgeous!!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7874508

that is beautiful. Can't wait to see mine like that - climbing up a tree! I haven't had any luck rooting the stem.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7878522

Mine finally is in blossom. Really pretty. Kinda like a lace cap hydrangea. Was surpised I thought the whole bud opend. But it is doing really weel. How long do they bloom? Anyone know? Thanks, Ronna
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7894610

You have given me an idea. Mine I have had for over 4 years and no blooms. One is growing real good, no blooms, but the other two are not. I am thinking about taking one or both of the ones not doing well in the too much shade and putting them on a trellis.
Thanks I was wondering what to do.
Marie
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7894618

Look at this wall of climbing hydrangeas we just saw on Cape Cod! It was amazing.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7894627

Close-up of the blooms and they are in full sun.

Thumbnail by pirl

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7894660

That is beautiful!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7894913

Yes. I love that!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7895102

I thought the people on this thread would enjoy it. The entire wall of them had to be 40' long and only after I was looking at the photos did I think that I should have asked the owner how old they are.

Gives me a good reason to go back.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7895189

Would be interesting. They sure look healthy.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7895474

That is impressive. A reason for me to go...for the first time :)

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7906161

Mine is doing very well. The blossoms on them are very pretty! My poor Annabelle got wind wiped in the last thunderstorm. Still pretty. With all the big white flowers on her. Ronna
jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA

March 5, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8409492

Just ordered 2 each of 3 year old Moonlight and Brookside Littleleaf from an Oregon company. We have acidic soil and I've been trying to find good ways to dress up my 2 year old pond. There's a rather ugly, stunted pine tree I left on the "isthmus" of the pond and I'm hoping a Brookside will eventually just "eat" it, if you know what I mean. The tree is only about 15' tall and I hope it's a better idea than just removing it. I thought it might be nice also to add a second Brookside not too far off beneath a rather naked bottomed cypress. The two Moonlights will be nice in the shady area just before the pond where our walkway is--we'll see. I hope they agree to go along with my plans . . .
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8409638

I am going to move mine this year, 5 years and still now blooms. I think they are getting too much shade.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8409653

I just heard on my Sunday morning gardening radio show (WOR 710 AM on your dial) that March is the time to move shrubs. I have mine in too much shade, too, so I'll be moving it soon.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8409684

I think if we are going to move them it better be fast. Mine are already waking up from their sleep and putting out new shoots.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8409742

As soon as thed weather cooperates I intend to do it.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8410213

Check the temperatures regularly anyways. Ours were quite warm lately and suddenly yesterday, it was cold and very windy. I had to put on a heavy coat agaaaaain to attend a talk at a nursery. And this morning it was 34 in the morning hours. Wow. Caught me by surprise too! That's what happens when it gets warm and I stop watching the forecasts! Hee hee hee. Hello, pril. Hope all is doing well.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8410347

It's not the temperature but bud break that you have time correctly. When terminal buds break they release a hormone that tells the roots to start growing and to begin pulling up nutrients and water from the soil. Interrupt bud break, or move a shrub during the spring flush and you will deal any tree, shrub or vine a set back. Don't wait for the buds to expand. If the buds are tight and the soil workable move it now.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8410658

Sorry snapple45 but I was not talking about that. I was just being practical about moving shrubs if the temperatures simply got too cold to be working outside. That is what happened to me this weekend.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8411779

Unfortunately, life, cataract surgery, and a cancer spot on my leg (removed last week) gets in the way of moving shrubs as quickly as I'd like to but I'll give it my best shot.

The wind outside today is wild and I know this is not the day to tackle it. Our carpenters are working hard to finish our deck steps and the wind is their enemy today.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8437745

Hello all... My climber did awsome last year!!! Mine has been in the ground for around 5 years also.. Finally got the first flowers on it last summer and went gangbusters. I thought mine was getting to much shade also. But guess not. Enjoy. Hope you are feeling better soon Pirl
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8437798

You are giving me hope gardenlady123. Mine are about 5 years old too, I can only hope to get blooms this year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8437939

Thanks.

Marie and I remain hopeful about the climbing hydrangeas. Hope it pays off.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8456875

you will really enjoy the flowers when they do arrive. They are kinda like the lace cap hydrangea flowers. they reaaly grow a lot when they start to flowers, mine did any way. There was many times when I was going to dig it up anf throw it in the trash. But now I am glad I did not. Mine also creeps all over the ground. I was always told that they take awhile to bloom. Enjoy!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8457011

It does take time, mine took several years to bloom. Likes gardenlady123 has stated, the flowers sorta like lace cap hydrangea flowers. I can't remember for sure, but it took 5 years for mine to bloom.
jenniealice
Fort Bragg, CA

March 29, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8459167

It's been a few weeks now since I put them all in the ground, but already they seem to be rather happy. The two Brooksides are creeping along the ground--seems like at least 5" of growth on those vines, and the Moonlights are going for it with their foliage. By the way, I have confirmed video footage (thank you game cam) that deer do not care for these plants. I set up the camera to see what kind of night critters were coming to my pond and got to watch a deer munch a branch of the Brookside and decide it wasn't all that tasty. Ever since they've left it alone and it's right on their daily path through the yard. Also, if you're planning on ordering, I highly recommend the store in Oregon--my plants were very large and healthy with almost no breakage.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8538697

After 5 years of growing I finally have blooms forming.

I am excited to see them open up and bloom. I will post pictures when they do.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8538719

Hurray! We'll all look forward to the blooms.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8538796

Awww, I may have missed the peak of the blooms. We've had a heavy steady rain yesterday. The rain must have knocked the bracts off from the flowers;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8538800

This one is climbing up a big sweet gum tree in the back of our garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8561965

Mine is doing great this year, really the whole yard is with all the cool weather and rain. Really beautiful. But this hydrangea is really pretty in blossom. Growing like a weed all of a sudden
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8574630

Well here are the first blooms after 5 years.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8574636

Congratulations, Marie! It's beautiful.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8574709

Thanks, I am happy too. Not what I was thinking they would look like, but I am glad it finally bloomed.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8575492

Beautiful Maria! I haven't looked at mine yet should see if there are any blossoms on mine yet!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8575978

Although, this is an entirely different type of hydrangea. A variegated lacecap hydrangrea. I often think of my climbing hydrangea's bloom resembles this Lacecap's only it's pure white instead of this in color--which is influences by the degree of acidity/alkalinity of the soil.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8576297

Yes they do Lily_Love.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8582633

Yes, mine is full of small blossoms not opened yet. It is so pretty this year. Wow, going to be full.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8582698

Here is a picture, not a good one, of it fully open.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8584135

Very pretty.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8586874

Mine are getting larger by the day. We have had so much rain! Raining right now again, been raining all day.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8587158

We finally had some nice warm weather and dry weather these past few days. I am hoping it stays. I really need to dry out.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8592307

Picture of mine with no open blossoms yet! But sure has grown alot with the RAIN!

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8593603

Your camera is doing the same as mine. What are we doing wrong?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8593735

What is it doing Marie? A little blurry, but not bad. Is that what you mean?

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8594179

It think its I am to much in a hurry and move the camera to fast after the photo? not sure. Sure is dissappointing when it happens.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8594200

Some photo sites do say to stay perfectly still for a full second after you snap the photo.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8594216

You are right pirl! I think thats what I am doing anyway.

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8658093

Here is my climbing hydrangea his year! So pretty.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

July 22, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8708847

Here is a close up of mine but has not grown much in the 3 years Ive had it. I guess they are slow growing?

Thumbnail by jess2132000

kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8721582

Update from May 4 2010-

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7762653

No blooms this year but reaching good heights...about 12-14 feet.

Thumbnail by kdfisher

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8721818

I have three growing on my back fence. The one that gets more light bloomed this year for the first time in the 5 years they have been there. They grow kinda at a regular rate but take a long time to bloom.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America