Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: homemade barbeque marinade

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 4, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lainymay
BEDFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

July 19, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6838595

hi all,
does anyone have a simple tried and tested recipy for homemade barbeque sauce/ marinade .please.
here in england you can only buy it in a packet or jar.
i would love to soak some ribs or chicken overnight in it to put on the barbi. a nice deep red marinade or sweet smoked is the type i am looking for. thanks

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6839318

I use prepared barbecue sauce in a bottle, which is a common product here, but I put it on the meat and then either cook it slowly in a crockpot or in a covered pan in the oven - for a long time. Ribs and chicken fall off the bone when prepared this way, which is how I like them. But to make your own barbecue sauce, this looks fairly easy to start off with (I would probably substitute fresh onion):

Barbecue Sauce Marinade

Makes 2 cups

1 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup dried onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried garlic, powdered
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine, or 1/4 cup red wine vinegar plus
1/4 cup lemon juice
Saute onion flakes in vegetable oil.
Stir in garlic, salt, chili powder, dry mustard, brown sugar; add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and wine and stir well.
Bring mixture to boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
Cool.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 20, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6841465

We have many styles of BBQ here. Do you have a preference?

Some are vinegar based, some are tomato based, some have oriental flavors, and for seafood, usually an herb infused oil like a salad dressing works well.

We make many of our marianades from scratch, depending on what meat we are using, what we have on hand, and how we intend to cook the meat.

Soy sauce, woschestershire, vinegar, katsup, tomato paste, salt pepper (many different kinds), paprika, sage, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, parsley, garlic, onion, cumin, cinnimon, honey, sugar, molasses, beer, wine, whiskey, etc. are just some of the ingredients that can be used. Fresh is great, but dried herbs & veggies work, too.

There is no need to use a whole lot of different ingredients, but use need a liquid base and whatever flavors YOU like.

Look at the packages and jars that are available for thie ingredients list - it's a good place to start.

Don't be afraid to experiement. And don't be bashful with the ingredients - the flavor may be a bit strong by itself, but will be perfect with the meat.

Many of the commercial products are too salty in our opinion, but all usually need some salt to blend the flavors.
lainymay
BEDFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

July 21, 2009
9:35 AM

Post #6845310

thanks. i am looking for a deep red stong flavoured marinade for chicken.
or a sweet smoked marinade for ribs. hope that helps.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 21, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6845842

For the chicken, I'm thinking
1/4 cup vinegar,
1/3 - 1/2 cup full bodied red wine,
your choice of herbs - (I like terrigon for chicken)
minced garlic, onion, parsley, sun dried tomatos would all be good,
2 Tbls evoo,
1 Tbsp seasoned salt (something spicy would be my choice)

Heat all in a sauce pan - just shy of boiling.

If you have a favorite commercial Italian salad dressing - it could be used as a base, then add your persomal touches. If you want more tomato flavor - katsup, tomato paste or sauce could be added.
Taste as you go and make adjustments to suit the result you want.

Something I used for years is very simple;
1 sauce pan, 1 can of beer, 1 stick of butter, 2 TBSP ground fresh black pepper, salt to taste.

Works great on steaks on the grill.

For the ribs:
a mix of spices can be applied as a dry rub - allow to absorb the flavors over night, then smoke slowly to flavor the ribs through.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America