We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.

Deworming Pygmy Goats

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Any suggestions for a goat (pygmy) dewormer? Info regarding organic and non-organic is appreciated. Thanks!

Richmond, TX

You might want to post your question also on the Poultry and Livestock forum. There are a number of knowledgeable goat owners there.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Ivomec. You can buy it at Tractor Supply if you have those stores in your area. Buy some syringes and needles and extract the amount needed. Then remove the needle and squirt the medicine down their throat. This is sometimes a 2-person task depending on the size and cooperation of your goat. Or if you know how to give injections, do it that way. I'm assuming you are treating worms/diarrhea. We have the same problem with ours on occasion. There is also a feed pellet you should try giving your goats once/month. I think it has 'Goat De-wormer' in the title.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi Jasmerr, I use a feed for mine that is medicated goat chow. it deworms and feeds all at once.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I know folks use diatomaceous earth for their horses... might google it for goats and see what you get.

Richmond, TX

Diatomaceous earth does not work in horses. I doubt it works as a dewormer for any

species.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Didn't do much to my earwigs either, near as I could tell.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

It is not for horses goats or earwigs it is for soft body creatures like catapillar worms, But I would like to suggest a .357 for the goats.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Took me a minute.... LOL

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

OUCH eweed.. a .357.. really???

Natural wormer: a pumkin, shredded carrots and a few cloves of garlic..

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Gramps used to feed his tobacco and swore by it.But at the price of ciggs these days Garlic is probably cheaper

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have heard of the tobacco.. and your right.. EXPENSIVE!!

I put an ad in freecycle for peoples used up pumkins.. lol.. I got a lot of response..
everybody loves them, from the sheep, goats, chickens.. a great treat doing double duty.

Richmond, TX

If you really need a serious wormer, I am sure there is an Ivermectin product designed for goats. It is safe and effective for almost all worms in almost all species.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

and I do use ivermectin.. but like the treat and natrualness of the pumpkin

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Unless you can verify that the parasite load has actually significantly decreased through microscopic fecal exam, I wouldn't count on any natural remedies. I've yet to meet one whose claims could be backed up with fecal tests.

Nicotine is potentially toxic ingested; the ivermectin, etc. is safer and more effective.

Not that the goats won't enjoy the pumpkin... =0)

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

hey george, your raining on my natural attemps.. lol I want to live and be that way.. but sometimes I can't get past whats been shoved in my head all my life. So I do use the ivermectin.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

If you have many goats to worm, it might pay you to buy a cheap drench syringe. The longer nipple puts the dose in the back of the throat where it will be swallowed with less chance of spitting it back at you.
I myself gave my angora goats their ivomec by subcutaneous injection. Do not have goats now so tht is one less job to do in the summer. If you do the injectable, be aware that a few goats will bleat and fall down as if it is very painful for about three to five minutes, before getting up and going on with no other effects.
Robert

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images